The Full Wiki

More info on Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis Railroad

Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis Railroad: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis Railroad was formed in 1866 as a merger between the Indianapolis and Madison Railroad and the Jeffersonville Railroad.

Genealogy

  • Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis Railroad
    • Indianapolis and Madison Railroad 1866
      • Madison and Indianapolis Railroad 1862
        • Madison, Indianapolis & Lafayette Railroad 1843
    • Jeffersonville Railroad 1866
      • Ohio and Indianapolis Railway 1849
      • Knightstown & Shelbyville Railroad 1852 (abandoned 1868)
      • Shelbyville Lateral Railroad 1851 (abandoned 1867)
    • Shelby and Rush Railroad 1882
      • Rushville and Shelbyville Railroad 1859
    • Columbus and Shelby Railroad 1881
    • Lake Erie and Louisville Railroad 1890
      • Lake Erie and Pacific Railroad 1865
      • Fremont, Lima & Union Railroad 1865
        • The Fremont and Indiana Railroad 1861


History

The Ohio and Indianapolis Railroad was chartered February 3, 1832 to build from Indianapolis, Indianamarker, south to the Ohio River at Jeffersonvillemarker, Indiana. The company was not organized until March 17, 1848, and on February 3, 1849 it was renamed the Jeffersonville Railroad.

The first section, from Jeffersonville, Indianamarker to just north of Memphismarker opened in 1850. The next year it leased the Shelbyville and Knightstown Railroad, starting to operate it in 1852. The line opened north to Columbusmarker August 1852, and on September 1, 1852 it began operating the Rushville and Shelbyville Railroad under lease.

Indiana's first railroad, was chartered in 1832 by the Indiana State Legislature as the Madison Indianapolis & Lafayette Railroad, and construction begun September 16, 1836. After building only from Madison, Indianamarker to North Vernonmarker by 1841, the railroad was transferred to private ownership on January 31, 1843, as the Madison & Indianapolis Railroad. This railroad completed the line to Indianapolismarker, a distance of , by 1847. Successful for more than a decade, the railroad went into decline and was sold at foreclosure in 1862, and renamed the Indianapolis & Madison Railroad.

On May 22, 1868, the Reno Gang held up the J.M. & I. Railroad train at Marshfield, Scott County, Indianamarker and escaped with $90,000 cash described as being in "new notes." The money was never officially recovered and in today's value, represented more than $2 million.

References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message