The Full Wiki

More info on Jelleff's

Jelleff's: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The Frank R. Jelleff Co., or more commonly Jelleff's was a Washington, D.C.marker-based retailer that specialized in women's apparel.


Jelleff's was founded March 1910, on F Street, N.W. in downtown Washington, D.C. Its founder, Frank R. Jelleff founded the first Boy's Club in the D.C. area, and the club at 3265 S Street NW, just off Wisconsin Ave., is named in his honor. The company was family run until 1968, when a group headed by I. Lee Potter purchased the store from the founder's widow. Potter served as chairman until the company's closing in 1979. His father, Alan Potter, served as president.

Flagship Store

The flagship store was located at 1214-1220 F Street, NW, in the "F Street Mall." The store closed in early 1973.

Branch Stores

Jelleff's opened its first suburban location at the Shirlington Shopping Center in nearby suburban Virginia in December 1947. That location closed November 1, 1972, but the store reopened in 1973, as a discount general department store. It also operated locations in Silver Springmarker; in Falls Churchmarker; at Springfield Mallmarker; a store at Tysons Corner Centermarker; and at 4472 Connecticut Ave., NW, in Washington, D.C. It operated a store, known as the "Little Shop," from 1942 to 1969, at 6936 Wisconsin Ave., in Bethesda, Marylandmarker. A store opened in the then-new Crystal Undergroundmarker in September 1976, and in 1979, at the time of the chain's closing, continued to operate independently as "Fifteen Thirty Five." The Tysons Corner store closed in early 1979, followed in May by the Connecticut Avenue and Springfield Mall locations, then in June by Silver Spring.


  1. "Jelleff's Plans Expansion Under New Ownership," The Washington Post, Times Herald Sep 8, 1968, p. F1.
  2. "Jelleff's to Close Its F Street Mall, Shirlington Shops," by William H. Jones, The Washington Post, Times Herald, Oct 25, 1972, p. D9.
  3. "Jelleff Plans Discounting Operation," by Claudia Levy, The Washington Post, Times Herald, Aug 22, 1973, pg. E3.
  4. "Jelleff's Opens Shop in Bethesda," The Washington Post, Aug 9, 1942, p. R2.
  5. "Jelleff's to Open Big Tysons Store," by S. Oliver Goodman, The Washington Post, Times Herald, Feb 13, 1969, p. C9.
  6. "Crystal Underground opens," by Pat Royse, The Washington Post, Sep 30, 1976, p. VA_14.
  7. "Jelleff's Chain Going Out of Business Soon," by Jerry Knight, The Washington Post, May 8, 1979, p. D7.

Embed code: at The Full Wiki'>

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address