The Full Wiki

More info on Kłodzko Fortress

Kłodzko Fortress: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Kłodzko Fortress, with the city in the background


Kłodzko Fortress ( , ) is a unique fortification complex of the Lower Silesian Voivodeshipmarker in southwestern Polandmarker. The fortress once was one of the biggest strongholds in Prussianmarker Silesia, however, in the whole German Empiremarker, it was regarded as a minor one. Now, together with an extensive network of tunnels, it is one of the biggest attractions of the town of Kłodzkomarker, with its underground labyrinth and a repository of for different objects, from old fire engines to local glassware.

History

First mentions of existence of a stronghold placed on Kłodzko's Castle Hill come from the Chronicle of Bohemians, written by Cosmas of Prague. Most probably, it was a complex of wooden buildings, protected with a palisade. Kłodzko itself is located along the strategic route between Wrocławmarker and Praguemarker, and its role as a trading point must have been significant since the early Middle Ages. In 1114 the stronghold was captured and destroyed by Czech troops under prince Soběslav, who at the same time conquered the whole Kłodzko Land.

In 1129 Soběslav rebuilt the town and placed a castellan there. Some time around 1300, a spacious castle was built on the hill, which became seat of the Kłodzko County. Gradually, the castle grew, a church and a chapel were added and in 1557, Lorenz Krischke, architect at the court of Prince Ernest of Bavaria, built the Lower Castle. In the XVI century, there were five wells in the castle with the oldest one from 1393.

In 1622, during the Thirty Years' War, after the long siege, the fortress was captured by the Austrian Army. The city was besieged in June of that year, but for a long time resisted the attackers. Finally, the Austrians brought in two large cannons - the Wingless Dragon and the Black Sow to fire upon the walls of Glatz and the city surrendered on October 25. In subsequent years the Austrians modernized the fortress and replaced ancient fortifications with up-to-date bastions.

View of the bastions


In 1742, during the War of the Austrian Succession the city together with its stronghold was conquered by Prussia under Frederick II. The city itself surrendered on January 14, but the fortress, with 2000 soldiers, held out until April 25, when starvation made further resistance impossible. Out of the initial Austrian garrison of 2000, only 200 survived, "pale as shadows". The Prussians expanded the fortress, making it a defensive one. Major works continued during the Silesian Wars, until 1770, however, the fortress was not fully completed 200 years after the Austrians began to modernize it.

In the XIX century, the stronghold, which in 1807 was captured by the French Army supported by Bavarian troopsmarker became a prison. Interestingly enough, in early XIX century, due to economic depression, prisoners’ earnings in Glatz were so low that the administration would send a prisoner every Saturday to beg for help in the city. Among prisoners there, was a British Army captain Bertrand Stewart, who in 1911 was accused of espionage and released in 1913. During World War II , the stronghold was not only a prisoner-of-war camp, but a branch of the Gross-Rosenmarker concentration camp.

Currently

In 1945, the stronghold together with the city became part of Polandmarker. The Kłodzko Fortress, as this is its Polish name, with little changes, looks like it did 200 years ago and it is one of the main tourist attractions of the city. Between May and October, it is open from 9:00 to 19:00 and in the winter, it is open from 9:00 to 16:00. From its top, there is a magnificent view of the Kłodzko Valley. It is also possible to visit the cellars, with an impressive labyrinth of the underground corridors, excavated in the 19th century by prisoners of war.

The stronghold’s complex covers the area of 17 hectares. Its lower walls are 11 meters thick, and the upper walls are around four meters. According to some sources, it is the largest and the best preserved fortress of its kind in Poland.

References

  1. German fortresses
  2. The Rough Guide, Poland, page 566
  3. Anzeiger für Kunde der deutschen Vorzeit: Organ des germanischen Museums, page 78
  4. Family Trees, The Sanftlebens
  5. History of Friedrich the Second, page 405
  6. Kłodzko - Hillside Charm
  7. Napoleon’s German Allies
  8. Tales from the German Underworld, page 30
  9. CAPTAIN BERTRAND STEWART, QUEEN'S OWN WEST KENT YEOMANRY
  10. Tourism in Lower Silesia:Klodzko
  11. Ancient Kłodzko
  12. Kłodzko - Hillside Charm
  13. Silesia’s Treasures


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message