Kahlenbergerdorf was an
independent municipality until 1892 and
is today a part of DĂ¶bling, the 19th
district of Vienna.
|Coat of arms
It is also one of the 89 Katastralgemeinden
Kahlenbergerdorf lies in the north of Vienna
on the right-hand bank of the Danube river
ina valley between the NuĂberg and Leopoldsberg hills.
In the north, Kahlenbergerdorf
borders on Weidling
, and in
the east on Jedlesee
. To the south lies
, to the west, Josefsdorf
. The parish cemetery lies amonst the
vineyards above the centre of Kahlenbergerdorf, which covers a
total area of 226,01 hectaures. In statistical analyses,
Kahlenbergerdorf is counted in the region
Kahlenbergerdorf includes many forested
ridges of the Wienerwald (Vienna Woods).
Kahlenbergerdorf in Vienna
The origin of the name Kahlenbergerdorf
The village has been known as KahlenbergerdĂ¶rfl for hundreds of
years. It is first mentioned in an official document dating to
1133/36 as "de Chalwenperge". The Leopoldsberg hill was named "Kahlenberg" until 1693, but it is
not to be confused with the neighbouring hill, known now as
Kahlenberg, of which the town of Kahlenbergerdorf has no
can be traced back 2500
years, when Celts
settled in the vicinity of
the Leopoldsberg hill .
Kahlenbergerdorf in the Middle Ages
In the 12th century, the Chalenperger
noble family arose
in Kahlenbergerdorf. The inhabitants of the village were farmers,
who were largely reliant on their own produce. Wine and fruit were
produced for sale. At the end of the 12th century, viticulture was
already the dominant industry around Kahlenberg. The local duke and the
Monastery each owned numerous vineyards.
even had its own wine press, but it gave this to the FĂŒrst
on his request. In the following
centuries, many other monasteries and churches took possession of
vineyards in Kahlenbergerdorf, including the Zwettl Abbey, the Lilienfeld Abbey, the KremsmĂŒnster Monastery, Saint Bernhard Nunnery and St. Dorothea.
The Kahlenberg was also
mined; there is documentary evidence of this between 1547 and 1618.
At first, only ore
is mentioned, but later texts
make reference to silver
finds. The deposits
in the Kahlenberg are however so limited that they were quickly
exhausted. Between 1330 and 1339, Gundacker von Thernberg, known as
the âPfaff vom Kahlenbergâ, was the parish priest
) in Kahlenbergerdorf. Anecdotes about Thernberg
were recorded in the 15th century by Phillip Frankfurter in his
work Des pfaffen geschicht und histori vom Kalenberg
story of the parish priest and the history of the Kalenberg).
Kahlenbergerdorf parish church is recorded as a separate parish for the first time
Kahlenbergerdorf since the Middle Ages
In 1529, the parish church was destroyed during the first siege of Vienna
. It was later rebuilt.
Due to its location on the banks of the Danube, Kahlenbergerdorf
suffered from severe inundations. The establishment of the harbour
the entrance to the Danube channel in 1901-03 however brought with
it effective protection against flooding.
After the dissolution of the Camaldolese
hermitage on the Kahlenberg hill, the area was made available for
construction and a small settlement arose, which was given the name
Josefsdorf in 1784 in honour of Joseph II
Thanks to its location on the edge of a narrow valley between the
Danube and the Leopoldsberg, Kahlenbergerdorf has been able to
maintain its original character. The village also developed less quickly
than other parts of modern-day DĂ¶bling.
is possible that flooding caused Kahlenbergerdorf to shrink in the
18th century. In 1795, there were 24 houses, in 1831 there were
five more and a total of 234 inhabitants. Between then and 1890,
Kahlenbergerdorf grew to number 52 houses with 486
In 1892, Kahlenbergerdorf was integrated into the city of Vienna.
as far as the ânoseâ of the Leopoldsberg was included along with
its neighbours Sievering, Grinzing, OberdĂ¶bling, UnterdĂ¶bling, NuĂdorf and Heiligenstadt in the district of
DĂ¶bling, while the
rest of Kahlenbergerdorf was allocated to Klosterneuburg.
In 1800, half of the land in Kahlenbergerdorf was occupied by
woods, while vineyards covered another quarter. Orchids and fields
made up less than 10 percent. Although viticulture was dominant,
there were plans to open a brewery here in the 19th century. When
the plans were approved in 1839 however, ethanol
produced instead of beer
. Production continued
until around 1860. There was also a sugar factory in
Kahlenbergerdorf between 1834 and circa 1870. The establishment of
the harbour in Kuchelau was expected to bring profits to
Kahlenbergerdorf but the harbour never achieved the prominence of
the harbour in NuĂdorf. It had been designed as a point for boats
to wait before entering the harbour in Freudenau, and was meant to
serve numerous small ships. It only ever became economically
important for the logging industry and after World War II
it was converted into a marina for
rowing clubs and motorboats.
- [Parts of this article were translated from German
- "Wien - 19. Bezirk/DĂ¶bling", Wien.gv.at, 2008, webpage (15
zur Natur - Ăber den Nasenweg auf den Leopoldsberg", MA 22 der Stadt Wien, 2002.