Kayathar is a town in
Tuticourin District, Tamil Nadu, India.
situated in the National
Highway 7 (NH7) between Tirunelveli and Kovilpatti.
- The place has strong winds and many windmills are erected.The
power Grid receiving power from pavanasam , Tuticorin.
- Market: The city has a once-weekly market. It functions on
Thursday of every week. There is an exclusive area for the
functioning of this market. Several goods from cooking items to
animals are sold here. Kayathar is the center for marketing many
agricultural things for the farmers around ~50 villages.
- School: Veera Pandia Kattabomman Govt. Hr. Sec. School. The
school is named after the great king Veera Pandia Katta Bomman. He
was remembered for his brave actions against the British. The
school is located in a calm place amidst farm fields. The school
has given several doctors, engineers, farmers and business men to
- Sports: Several cultural and sports events are arranged by the
youngsters during the PONGAL festival (Jan 14-20). The KABADI game
conducted is the most famous among those. More than 20 teams from
near by villages are participating every year. It involves lot of
fun and entertainment!
- Kutti Kulam: The water harvesting area. The rain water is saved
in this pool, for agricultural usage.
- Religion: Hindhu, Christians and Muslims are living with
harmony. The city has temples, churches and mosque.
- Temples: Akilanda Nayaki - Kothanda Rameshwarar Temple,
Thirumalai nayaki - Thiruneelakandeshwarar Temple. Those are built
during Kings rule.
- Church: St. Loorthu Matha Church. A very ancient church for the
Roman Catholic Christians. CSI and other groups of Christians also
- Mosque: The famous mosque, (Palli Vaasal) is situated in the
west region of the city. The thing here is, Hindhus and others also
visit the mosque for curing the diseases of their children!
- Historical Event:
1) The King Veera pandiya kattabomman hanged by the British in this
place. The king's statue has been build in kayathar by Tamil cinema
actor Sivaji ganeshan.
2) The great kalamega poet came to kayathar and he was so hungry
and didn't get food in god Perumal temple and he was forced to
carry lord perumal staue and so he was very much frustrated and
sang poet to destroy the perumal temple. After much decay it has
been rebuild in 2009.
3) The famous patriot VOC Kappalodiya Tamilan Seethamparanaar
native is vey close to kayathar(Vandanam)
4) The gr8 king kattabomman port is located near to kayathar
5) The patriot revolution poest Mundasu kavi Mr. Bharathiyaar born
near by kayathar(Ettayapuram)
- Reason for the Name Kayathar: This village has river (Aaru in
Tamil) and it is too much of bitter (kayarpu/kasappu in Tamil) so
it got named as Kayatharu, later is has been called as kayathar and
also it was named bcz of the sri Godhandaramar temple located on
the bank of river. He always wear thulasi malai(In English Basil
garland).The taste of thulsi is (has highly medicated value) in
bitter (Kayam/Kayarpu/Kasappu) taste so the garland(in Tamil THARU)
weared temple so it is called as Kayatharu
- Mat production is a huge industry
- This area is famous for heavy wind so it has windmills and
Indian central government also have an office which was inaugurated
by ex prime minister Vajpayee.
Run Way Facility :The British Government during their rule
constructed a very long runway (Biggest in their area). They also
did a lot of research and found the place is well located and good
for aero facility. That was the reason they made big runway in that
Airport is going to come in kayathar in mid 2010.
The last Pandiya King
fought and lost to the Nayakar
The great earlier freedom fighter King Veerapandiya Kattabomman
to death at this place by the British.
http://www.kayathar.com - Site about all Kayathar related