The Full Wiki

More info on Kelvingrove Park

Kelvingrove Park: Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Kelvingrove Park is a public park located on the River Kelvinmarker in the West End of the city of Glasgowmarker, Scotlandmarker, containing the world-famous Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museummarker.

Location

The park is 34 ha (85 acres) in size, and located in the West End of Glasgow. It straddles the River Kelvinmarker shortly before the river's confluence with the Clyde, and as such is an urban haven for wildlife. Birds found in the area include the grey heron, cormorant, and kingfisher, the mallard and goosander, and other animals include the red fox, brown rat and otters. The park is flanked to the West by Gilmorehill and the University of Glasgowmarker, to the South by Partickmarker and Anderstonmarker, to the East by Charing Crossmarker and to the North by Hillheadmarker and Woodlands. This central location makes it a popular route for commuters to the city centre, leading quickly from the West End to Charing Cross whilst avoiding traffic. The park is also popular with dog-walkers, and students from the University.

Kelvingrove sits around the contours of a large hill, on which is sited the Parkmarker district of Glasgow. This was formerly a highly desirable residential area before falling out of fashion and being taken over mostly for office space and student accommodation. However, recent high-class residential developments there have made living in the area much more appealing. The area is also home to 22 Park Circusmarker, the city's registry office, and to the Glasgow branch of the Goethe-Institut, a Germanmarker culture institution.

Kelvinbridge subway stationmarker and bus routes provide access to the park.

History

Kelvingrove was originally created as the West End Park in 1852 by noted English gardener Sir Joseph Paxton, Head Gardener at Chatsworth Housemarker, whose other works included The Crystal Palacemarker in Londonmarker. The Town Council had purchased the land, which formerly represented the Kelvingrove and Woodlands estates, that year for the sum of £99,569, around £8million today. The park was intended to provide for the continued expansion of the city to the west, providing relaxation and recreation opportunities for the new middle class to the west, and an escape from the rapid slumming of the city centre for those left behind.

The park has been the site of three exhibitions: the 1888 International Exhibition, the 1901 International Exhibition and the 1911 Scottish Exhibition. Large, impressive buildings were constructed in the park for the International Exhibitions, including a large Indian pavilion where the Art Gallery now stands, and a Russian restaurant building. These, however, have since been demolished. The Doulton Fountain at Glasgow Greenmarker was originally situated in the park for the 1888 Exhibition but was later relocated.

Today

Kelvingrove contains a bandstand, skatepark, bowling and croquet greens, and various statues and monuments. The largest monument is the Stewart Memorial Fountain, built to commemorate Lord Provost Robert Stewart (1851-1854) and his achievement of providing the city with fresh water from Loch Katrinemarker. The fountain was built in 1872 to a design by James Sellars, who later designed the nearby St. Luke's Orthodox Cathedralmarker and Kelvinside Academymarker. It is built of granite, sandstone, marble and bronze, features imagery of the Trossachs, and is topped by a figure of Sir Walter Scott's Lady of the Lake. The fountain is currently undergoing a half-million pound refurbishment supported by the City Council, Glasgow City Heritage Trust, the Heritage Lottery Fund and Scottish Water. The park also contains statues of physicist Lord Kelvin, writer Thomas Carlyle, Field Marshall Lord Roberts and chemist Joseph Lister, as well as memorials to local regiments the Cameronians and the Highland Light Infantry. The park is popular with dog-walkers and joggers, and is convenient for tourists, being adjacent to Kelvin Hallmarker Sports Arena and the Glasgow Museum of Transport, both housed in the same building, on the opposite side of Argyle Street. The park also contains the recently-renovated world-renowned Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museummarker.

Bandstand

The bandstand within the park was built in 1924 and designed by James Millar. It was a popular location for outdoor music until it became neglected and vandalised around 1995. It played host to thousands of events from military bands to old-time Music Hall acts, Glasgow's first-ever Steel Band Festival to the Radio Clyde Rock Concerts. It was also used for charity fundraising concerts such as the 'Woodlands Fun Days for Children' with Yorkhill Hospital's Radio Lollipop between 1993 and 98.

Scottish bands and musicians such as Belle & Sebastian, Teenage Fanclub, Franz Ferdinand, Eddi Reader, Carol Laula and Horse have all expressed support for the restoration of Kelvingrove Park's Bandstand. MSP Pauline McNeill also presented a motion to the Scottish Parliament about the bandstand restoration.

Trivia

  • The poet, Lyle, wrote a song about the park, entitled Kelvin Grove.
  • The Belle & Sebastian song Like Dylan in the Movies was written after a bout of paranoia suffered by the lead singer of the band, Stuart Murdoch, when walking through the park. The band record in the nearby CaVa Studiosmarker.
  • Much of Alasdair Gray's novel Poor Things takes place in and around the park.
  • The Glasgow Universitymarker physicist, William Thomson, was raised to the peerage as Baron Kelvin in 1892, which title derived from the river.


Image:The memorial of William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin, University of Glasgow.jpg|Monument to William Thomson, Lord KelvinImage:Memorial of Frederick Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts in Glasgow.jpg|Monument to Frederick Roberts, 1st Earl RobertsImage:Kelvingrove bandstand.jpg|Kelvingrove Bandstand

Notes

  1. Glasgow Museums: History of Kelvingrove Park
  2. The Friends of Kelvingrove Park: Environment
  3. Measuring Worth - Purchasing Power of British Pound
  4. University of Glasgow :: Library :: Glasgow International Exhibition 1888
  5. Flickr: Russian Restaurant, Glasgow International Exhibition 1901
  6. The Friends of Kelvingrove Park: News
  7. Text of Pauline McNeill MSP's Motion to the Scottish Parliament about the Bandstand restoration
  8. Friends of Kelvingrove Park: Kelvin Grove song


External links




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message