The Full Wiki

Kennington: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Kennington is an area of South Londonmarker, Englandmarker, in the London Borough of Lambethmarker. It is a mixed class residential area, and is the location of the The Ovalmarker, the well-known cricket stadium.

Kennington appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Chenintune. It was held by Teodric (Theodoric) the Goldsmith. It rendered: 1 hide and 3 virgates; 3 ploughs, of meadow. It rendered £3.
Chartist meeting on Kennington Common in 1848.
Edward III gave the manor of Kennington to his oldest son Edward "the Black Prince" in 1337, and the prince then built a large royal palace between what is now Black Prince Road and Sancroft Street. Geoffrey Chaucer was employed at Kennington as Clerk of Works in 1389. He was paid 2 shillings. Much of this area of Kennington continues to be owned by the current monarch's elder son (HRH Princes of Wales, Duke of Cornwall - see Dukes of Cornwall ) to the present day.

Kennington Parkmarker (laid out by Victorian architect James Pennethorne) and St Mark's Churchyard now cover the site of Kennington Common. In 1746 the Surrey County Gallows at the southern end of the common was used for the execution of nine leaders of the Jacobite rebellion of 1745. The Common was also where the Chartists gathered for their biggest demonstration in 1848. "The Gymnastic Society" met regularly at Kennington Common during the second half of the eighteenth century to play football The Society - arguably the world's first Football club - consisted of London-based natives of Cumberlandmarker and Westmorelandmarker.

(Fuller details of the Common's history are in the Kennington Parkmarker article.)

Kennington Park Road and Clapham Road is a long and straight stretch of road because it follows the old Roman Stane Street. This ran down from the Roman London Bridge to Chichester via the gap in the North Downsmarker at Box Hillmarker near Dorkingmarker. Another Roman road branched off opposite Kennington Road and went down through what is now Kennington Park and down the Brixton Road. It carried on through the North Downs near Caterham to Hassocks, just north of the South Downs.

Cactus TV, which used to produce the Richard & Judy programme, is in Kennington Road.

Nearest places:

Nearest tube stations:

References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message