Kennywood is an amusement park located in West
Mifflin, Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh.
The exit tunnel with illuminated Goodnight Heart
The park first opened in 1898 as a trolley park
for the Monongahela Street Railway
. Along with Rye Playland Park, it is one of only two amusement parks listed in
Register of Historic Places.
Kennywood is owned by Kennywood Entertainment
which until December 2007 was a closely held family business owned
by the Henninger and McSwigan families. Kennywood
Entertainment is now operated by Palace Entertainment, a subsidiary of Parques
Reunidos, an international amusement park company based in
is approximately from Downtown Pittsburgh, in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania.
The park is along Pennsylvania Route 837
, known as
Kennywood Boulevard through the borough. The closest interstate
connection is Swissvale Exit 7 on Interstate 376
Historically, the park is on the location of
the July 9, 1755 Battle of the Monongahela, where British general Edward Braddock was mortally wounded, ending
his expedition to capture the
Duquesne during the
French and Indian War.
was a colonel
to Braddock, and fought at the battle before
they retreated. Later the land on the bluff above the Monongahela River
was part of a farm owned
by Anthony Kenny. Starting around the time of the American Civil War
, the site was a
popular picnic grove for locals, known as "Kenny's Grove".
Before developing the park, the Kenny family owned a grove of trees
overlooking the river. People began picnicking at the site, and
eventually a trolley line was added. Kennywood Park began in 1898
as a trolley park
that catered to local
industrial workers and their families. Originally built at the end
of a trolley line to encourage ridership, the park began to
generate more revenue than the trolley business itself. However,
the Pittsburgh Street Railway Company wanted out of the amusement
park business and sold it to A.S. McSwigan and Frederick W.
Henninger in 1906. The two would work to expand the park into the
Kennywood known today with a large and loyal customer base.
From its origin as a working-class
entertainment destination, the park
grew in the first half of the twentieth century into a popular
attraction that combined thrill rides with recreation venues such
as swimming pools
and dance halls
The park was designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark
In the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, the park remained successful by
adding rides such as the Log Jammer, the Raging Rapids, the Steel
Phantom (later turned into the Phantom's Revenge) and the Pitt
Fall. Kennywood is also known for its scenery and mascot Kenny
Kennywood Park has its own armed Public Safety Department. While
not an actual police force, the organization enforces laws,
investigates crimes, and responds to incidents within the
Today, the park features a nostalgic atmosphere and is supported by
a loyal fan base. As of December 2007, Kennywood Entertainment also
Waterpark , which opened in 1989; Idlewild Park  near Ligonier; Story
Land , a children's theme park in Glen, New
Hampshire; and Lake
Compounce , New
England's family theme park in Bristol, Connecticut, which is the oldest continuously-operating
amusement park in North America.
Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XL in 2006, Steelers safety
Mike Logan, a native of
Pennsylvania, near Kennywood, made a humorous riff on the
"I'm Going to Disney
World!" advertising campaign usually associated with the Super
Bowl, saying, "Forget Disney World, I want them to open up Kennywood!"
The phrase "Kennywood's open!" is often used in the Pittsburgh
region to alert another person that the zipper on his/her pants is
On December 12, 2007, Kennywood Entertainment announced that it
would be selling Kennywood Park, along with four other amusement
parks in the Northeastern
, to Parques Reunidos, a company based in Madrid,
Kennywood now uses the slogan "America's Finest Traditional
Amusement Park" as well as "Make a New Memory," although from the
1960s through the early 1990s the slogan was "The Roller Coaster
Capital of the World." The property features three old wooden coasters
still in working
order, along with a newer steel coaster, the Phantom's Revenge
(2001), and one indoor coaster, the Exterminator (added in
second to Cedar
Point in the category of "Favorite Park" in Theme Park
Magazine's 2004 Reader's Choice Awards.
Roller Coaster History
Through the years, Kennywood has made use of the hilly Pittsburgh
terrain to create coasters that wouldn't be feasible anywhere else.
The Thunderbolt and the Jack Rabbit, both wooden coasters, place
the lift chain in the middle of the ride, not at the beginning. In
both cases, the car leaves the station and drops into a valley for
its first hill. Phantom's Revenge uses the same valley as the
Thunderbolt, where the Phantom's second drop passes through the
supports of the Thunderbolt's first drop, making the second drop
the longest and steepest drop in the ride.Many coasters sit in the
footprint of former coasters. The Phantom's Revenge may seem
familiar to the record-setting Steel Phantom, because in fact the
length of track from the station brake run all the way to about 15'
down the second drop is original track from the Steel Phantom.
Also, the Steel Phantom was built on the former site of the Laser
Loop. Older visitors will recall that the Thunderbolt is an
improvement of the Pippin.
||Spinning Wild Mouse
||An indoor Reverchon spinning mouse roller coaster. This coaster
has heavily themed scenery, even in the line.
||John A. Miller
||A John A. Miller wooden roller coaster, known especially for
its double dip. Coming down off of its second hill, the track
levels out briefly half of the way down, then continues downward—a
double-dip drop. The speed of the train as it enters this second
part of the drop is so high that the riders are given the
impression that they will be thrown free of the train. The Jack
Rabbit is one of the oldest running roller coasters in the
||Molina & Son's
||It's the park’s kiddie coaster. Added in 1996, this is a modern
coaster in the style of classic coasters manufactured by Allan
Herschell. For kiddie coaster standards, the ride is surprisingly
intense. The ride was rehabbed, overhauled, and rebuilt completely
for the 2007 season. Adults can ride.
steel coaster built by Arrow
Dynamics, opened in 1991, originally named the "Steel Phantom." The coaster briefly held several records
such as the largest drop on a roller coaster (228 ft) and the
fastest roller coaster (82mph). After the 2000 season, the coaster
was heavily modified by Chance-Morgan,
including the removal of all of the inversions due to complaints of
pain given during the ride (head and neck aches, bloody noses,
etc.) and was then named the "Phantom's Revenge." The ride is also
unique because the second drop is longer than the first. Although
the first hill is only tall, it is still considered a hyper-coaster because its maximum drop
vertically exceeds . In 2009, the majority of the Arrow Dynamics
track from the original Steel Phantom was replaced with new track
to match the rest of the ride leaving only the brake run and lift
hill with its original Arrow manufactured Steel Phantom track.
||John A. Miller
||A John A. Miller wooden roller coaster with
a track that is looped over on itself to create the appearance of
two separate, parallel tracks. The ride, in fact, consists of one
track referred to as a moebius track. Riders choose from one of two
trains, one on each side of the loading platform, that then race
against each other as they traverse the course. The winning side is
chosen by the conductors of the ride and typically alternated each
time. A famous Kennywood tradition is to reach over and touch hands
of the other car during the ride. There is a blue train, a red
train, and a green train, however, only two race at a time with the
third being used for maintenance rotation. The original Racer was
built in 1924 on the current Kiddieland site. It was torn down
after the 1926 season and the following season saw the opening of
the new (and current) Racer constructed next to the Jack
||Andy Vettel Sr./John A. Miller
||A wooden roller coaster. Originally there was a John A. Miller
wooden coaster known as the Pippin on this site, built in 1924. A
new design, by Andy Vettel, Sr., was used in the 1967
reconstruction of the Pippin, reusing several of its elements, but
resulting in a larger, faster coaster to be known as the
Thunderbolt. After the first season in which a rider was tossed
from the THUNDERBOLT, the track was reconfigured with the speed
bump taken out of the second pass along the midway and the policy
of two riders (no exceptions) to a seat was enacted.The check brake
was elongated at this time as well. The Thunderbolt regularly
places at or near the top of lists concerning the world's top
coasters and is distinguished by an immediate drop out of the
starting gate, rather than the standard long climb. The Thunderbolt
has a top speed of about .
|New Launched Steel Roller Coaster
||LSM Launched Steel
||An LSM (Linear Synchronous Motor) launched steel coaster built
by Premier Rides, opening in 2010. The
first hill is tall, the maximum speed is 50 mph, and the track
length is . This coaster will launch you from 0-50 mph in three
seconds up a vertical hill only to plummet back down to the ground
in a maximum G-force pullout. Next, riders will encounter and
inverted top hat, twist through a barrel roll, ascent another
vertical section while twisting up it, plummet down a second
vertical drop into another maximum G-force pullout, Swoop around a
severely banked fan curve, twist through a corkscrew, turn into a
zero gravity hill, wobble through a series of wave turns, and
finally come to a halt in the brake run. 
||It's an unbelievably "flip-tacular" experience that was
manufactured by Zamperla. Riders sit literally within the namesake
Kennywood arrows and flip. Legs hanging in the air, and held in
only by a shoulder harness, guests swing back and forth - higher
and higher with each pendulum motion. As momentum builds, the ride
culminates by spinning riders the full 360 degrees as they "Go over
||It returned in 1994 after a seven-year absence only to
disappear after the 2004 season. After another absence, this time
for four years, this rare and beloved classic is reappearing once
again in 2009. Riders sit in one of the sixteen bobsled-themed cars
that travel at a high-speed around a circular single-hilled track
with mountain scenery behind them, complete with spectators. Riders
start in an upright position and as the cars pick up speed, they
tilt inward toward the center of the ride. This ride is also known
for its loud horn which is similar to that of a diesel train
||It's a Mega Disk'O ride manufactured by Zamperla Inc. that made
its debut in 2007. The ride seats 24 people on a giant disk, upon
motorcycle-like pedestal seats with back restraints. Arms and legs
are free from restraint and the passenger looks outward. From a top
height of 50' the space ship begins its untamed flight along the
120' concave track while its passengers spin around in circle.
Cosmic Chaos has a UFO theme, complete with UFO sounds, aliens, and
even sounds from real aliens!
||It was built in 1977. It is a bumper car ride that has 31
two-passenger cars, a few of which are painted black and gold and
have numbers on them in honor of a few players on the Pittsburgh Steelers football team and it
is one of the three rides with a classic ride started/stopped bell.
Riders steer their cars in any direction across the metal
rectangular floor bumping other cars out of their way.
||Also known as a Flying Coaster, it's the last ride of its kind.
Purchased in 1962, it is a good in-between ride for kids graduating
from Kiddieland. During the ride, eight cars travel a circular
track with a single steep hill. After "bouncing" off the top of the
hill, the cars then make a slow ascent in midair back down to the
track, giving each guest the sensation of flying. Its resemblance
of a Kangaroo's leap is what inspired its name.
||It was added to the park in 2003. It originally stood
at Kennywood's sister park, Lake Compounce in Connecticut. The ride consists of a
gondola attached to two arms. The arms rotate in a circle while the
platform flips riders upside down. The ride is built with jets of
water that originally sprayed the riders as it spins, but after
guest complaints and mold problems resulting in the replacement of
the seat padding, they discontinued the use of the spraying effect
so that the fountain is now just ornamental. It is currently up for
sale and is likely to be leaving the park at the end of 2009.
||William H. Dentzel
||It was built by William H. Dentzel in 1926, and completely
refurbished for 2005, is a National Historic Landmark.
Kennywood encourages large groups to use it as a meeting-spot
considering it is centrally located—a custom to most smaller and
older parks. It is Kennywood's third and largest carousel. The
music on the Merry-Go-Round is provided by a 1916 Wurlitzer band
organ, the ride travels in a counter-clockwise direction, over 1500
lights decorate this ride, and it is one of the three rides with a
classic ride started/stopped bell. The two notable non-horse
animals featured on the ride are the tiger and the lion.
||Mack, GmbH & Co.
||Built in 1987, it is a quick circular ride that travels
clockwise around an undulating track. Loud music is played while
the ride is in motion and it has flashing lights. It has a
white/red loading/running lighting theme, respectively. During
Phantom Fright Nights, mostly Halloween related music is played.
Kennywood's Music Express has a 60's/70's rock theme to it with
yellow and green being the theme colors of their ride.
||It has been at Kennywood since 1959 and was originally called
the SkyDiver. The ride has ten umbrella-covered cars which rotate
counter-clockwise on a long arm. During the ride, the arm the cars
are mounted to raises to a 45 degree angle.
||It was built in 1982. It is a large pirate-themed boat
suspended from a giant "A" frame structure mounted to a trailer.
The trailer is buried inside a retaining wall surrounded by
landscaping to give it the appearance of a permanent ride model.
The boat swings back and forth until it achieves a height of and is
at a 75-degree angle with its initial resting position, giving
riders the sensation of weightlessness. Originally the "helm" of
the ship was facing the road, but after Kennywood renovated the
ride under Huss's supervision, the direction of the boat was
flipped so that the "helm' now faces Noah's Ark.
||It's one of the first larger models of the S&S Screamin'
Swing to debut. Added to Lost Kennywood in 2006, the name was
chosen from a long list of names that were entered in the "Name the
New Ride" contest Kennywood held over the summer of 2005. It is
basically a giant swing that swings riders back and forth, reaching
a height of at a 120 degree angle and reaching speeds of . This
ride stands where the WipeOut once stood (the WipeOut was moved to
the former site of the Bayern Kurve, which was removed from the
park in 2005 and placed in storage through 2008). Initially the
ride was plagued with much downtime due to the plastic air chambers
leaking, however S&S redesigned the air tanks to be made of
steel and ever since the ride has been much more reliable.
||It's a bumpy-track or undulating ride. It has been a Kennywood
tradition since 1927 and has six cars that travel counter-clockwise
on a circular track over a series of three hills and dips. The name
is inspired by the turtle's curved shell. Originally the ride was
called the Tumble Bug and featured bug-themed cars until the ride
received new turtle-like exteriors. In fact, for the entire first
year the ride was given a new turtle theme, it was still named the
Tumble Bug. It is one of the first rides that most children
graduating from Kiddieland ride, but it is also very popular with
teenagers because operators usually let them ride several times in
a row when lines are very short. It is also a unique ride, because
the Turtle is one of only three standing Tumble Bug rides with only
two currently operating. Of the three standing Kennywood's turtle
is the only one with a Turtle theme as opposed to a Tumble Bug
theme and it is also an historic landmark.
||It was new in 1978 and was called the Enterprise until the
addition of the Volcano Valley themed area. As the Enterprise, the
loading platform was surrounded by a blue railing and was raised by
a retaining wall that was surrounded by shrubbery. As the Volcano,
the shrubbery has been replaced with a mountain landscape that
covers the original retaining wall and railing. It has 20 swinging
gondolas, which travel in a circular clockwise motion on a large
wheel. Once it achieves a fast enough speed, the wheel raises
riders to a 90-degree angle and spins the riders upside down. This
ride sometimes features a volcano eruption-themed fog and lighting
effect, most commonly during Phantom Fright Nights.
||Wave Swinger 48
||It's a German-made trailer-mounted wicker swing ride also known
as the Bavarian Wave Swinger. Originally located at the current
location of the Kennyville Stage near the Potato Patch, it was
built in the park in 1984. It was later relocated to its current
location in Lost Kennywood in 1995 after a one year absence from
the park due to the fact that it was being refurbished. It has a
white/red loading/running lighting theme, respectively, and
features a different painting in the center of a decorative molding
on each exterior panel. Also, since it is a trailer-mounted ride, a
pit was dug out under the ride in Lost Kennywood to make the ride
flush with the ground and appear permanent.
||16 Car Whip
||It's the oldest flat ride in the park opening in 1918 an the
last operating 16 car whip. The ride's 16 cars travel along an
oblong track and "whip" as they go around the bend at either end.
The Whip was relocated from the Log Jammer Pavilion to Lost
Kennywood in 1995 and is one of the three rides with a classic ride
started/stopped bell. In 2002, a park guest was
killed when the ride's pavilion collapsed during a macroburst.
The pavilion has not been put back up, but instead replaced with a
white picket fence surrounded by flagpoles. The openness of
Kennywood's Whip makes it very unique as most Whips are, indeed,
covered under pavilions.
||2nd Generation Freefall
||It's a 251 ft (76 m) drop tower from Intamin and was the
world's tallest drop tower upon opening.
||Sky Fun 1
||It's a -tall giant swing, allowing three riders at a time to
free-fall approximately and is the first Skycoaster model to be
permanently installed in an amusement park. When the Skycoaster
opened, it was the world's tallest version of this ride.
||It's a dark ride in bright 3D fluorescent colors under black
light. It features the characters from Garfield comic strip and cartoons. This ride is the
oldest ride at Kennywood, though it has gone through numerous major
theme and structural changes throughout its existence. Since it
debuted in 1901, it has been variously known as the Old Mill, the
Panama Canal, Fairyland Floats, and Hard Headed Harold's
Horrendously Humorous Haunted Hideaway. The scenes inside this
vintage dark attraction have featured "gorgeous grottos" from
around the world including Hawaii and Australia. More recently this
attraction featured scenery from a mine haunted by ghosts, ghouls,
and skeletons. It even featured three outdoor scenes. In 1992 the
name was changed back to the Old Mill and received some minor
scenery upgrades. In 2004, the ride received a major scenery
overhaul—a Garfield theme—and all scenes became enclosed to insure
a continuous 3D blacklight effect. The boats were slightly modified
as well and the number of boats was increased to from nine to
||Halloween Productions/ETF Ride Systems
||It's a ride that replaced the dark ride The Gold Rusher which
was created in 1981. In 2008, Kennywood announced that a new
interactive dark ride would replace the historic Gold Rusher. The
facade is designed to look like a dilapidated mansion. Riders begin
by standing in a "library/study" type room when, all of a sudden,
Lord Kenneth (the owner of the estate), literally forces himself
out of a picture frame. He informs of the ghosts and how you will
be able to drive them from his home so that he may live in peace.
Each rider then walks up a flight of stairs and approaches the
trackless "Ghost Buggies". Each guest is provided with a "Ghost
Blaster" to help them eliminate the ghosts. The ride features
realistic animatronics, props, and scenery with a healthy mix of
||Herbert Paul Schmeck
||It's a classic walk-through "dark" attraction. The ride's
opening year, 1936, began auspiciously as the City of Pittsburgh
suffered its St. Patrick's Day flood that year. Patrons walk
through an ark recreating Noah's attempt at bringing animals
aboard. This classic ride, one of two in the world
(the other being at Blackpool Pleasure Beach), was remodeled in 1996. During the
remodeling, the Ark was entirely rebuilt due to structural problems
with the original "boat". Instead of entering through a whale's
mouth, patrons now board a freight elevator that provides the
effect of rising, then crashing to the ground, part of the
re-theming of the ride includes props meant to appear like ancient
artifacts that were found below the Ark. Over the years, different
parts were removed, including a fan that would shoot air up from
the ground. One popular part, the shaker boards, still
||It's a fiberglass log flume water ride. It is a water roller
coaster, which runs through the wooded area in the back of the
park. It was the park's first multimillion-dollar project. It was
built in 1975 by Arrow Dynamics and consists of two lifts, a
spillway that is high, and a high chute.
||Shoot the Chute
||It's the centerpiece attraction in Lost Kennywood. It is a
Shoot-the-Chute ride named for the brief period in the 1890s when
Pittsburgh dropped the "h" from its name. It runs with two
20-passenger boats at a time that are designed to look like the
shoot-the-chutes boats of old amusement parks. This ride can soak
both the passengers and the onlookers in water.
||River Rapids Ride
||It was opened in 1985 and simulates a white-water rafting trip
through canyons and beneath waterfalls. Three pumps are constantly
filling the cement trough with 93,000 gallons of water each minute,
ensuring a soaking experience.
||Also known by several veterans as the Auto Ride, it's also the
last of its kind and was designed by Harry
Traver of the Traver Engineering Company. Electric cars run
quite quickly through a trough-like wooden track that twists and
turns, almost like a maze. When the ride opened in 1930, it had
several small hills placed in the track, but these were soon
removed due to rear-end collisions caused when cars couldn't get up
and over them on rainy days.
||It's the only ride located outside of the park gates. It is a
chairlift style ride meant to carry passengers down to the park
from the uppermost parking lot, while providing a spectacular
aerial view of the park below.
||It's a train ride along the top of the cliff next to the river
with various displays and a recording that tells about park history
(and also Western Pennsylvania history before the 2009 season). The
locomotives are from the 1939 World's Fair, have a gasoline-powered
engine, and were installed in the park in 1945.
||They are the park's only remaining human-powered rides. Riders
paddle through the park's lagoon in any path they choose. This ride
requires an extra fee.
Kennywood's Kiddieland was one of the first children's ride areas
in the world, featuring all the rides in the park's diverse array
of young child-specific rides in a compact area between the Auto
Race and the Aero360. It is located next to the edge of the cliff
on the river-view side of the park. It was originally located next
to the Jack Rabbit before moving to its current location in 1927.
||Added in 2001, it kicked off a rehabilitation and expansion
project for Kiddieland. Placed on a new midway that replaced the
Safety City jeep ride, this is a miniature version of the park’s
former Flying Carpet ride. It is themed to the Kennywood trolley
bus that used to lead the Fall Fantasy parades and roam the streets
of Pittsburgh (a new bus in different colors was purchased in
2008). Adults may ride.
||San Antonio Roller Works
||This ride is a very unique ride. Riders sit in one of eight
cars mounted to a circular platform. As the platform begins to
spin, so does each individual car, in alternating directions.
Finally, the whole ride tilts over. This ride has an umbrella over
top of it as well, and adults are allowed to ride.
||Similar to the Red Baron ride, Elephant Parade has the child
riding around in an elephant, in the opposite direction.
||W. F. Mangels
||It is one of Kiddieland's original rides. This miniature
merry-go-round actually pre-dates the park's full sized version. It
was refurbished for the 2009 season.
||Molina and Sons Inc.
||It's the park’s kiddie coaster. Added in 1996, this is a modern
coaster in the style of classic coasters manufactured by Allan
Herschell. For kiddie coaster standards, the ride is surprisingly
intense. The ride was rehabbed, overhauled, and rebuilt completely
for the 2007 season. Adults can ride.
||On this ride, children ride around in a circle in either a
helicopter or a Transformers-esque robot. The ride lifts and tilts
as it operates.
||Kiddieland’s expansion was continued with the addition of the
Pounce Bounce, a miniature of the Pitt Fall
located in the center of the area where ornamental structures once
stood. As its name suggests, the car gently bounces up and down the
tower. The tower is themed to look like cheese, and mice from the
Garfield comic series appear on the sides. A Garfield statue is
mounted at the top. Adults can ride.
||It's a common kiddie ride, which allows children to fly a plane
around in a circle, with a lever to raise and lower the plane.
||It's the most recent addition to Kiddieland, added in 2007.
This ride is a miniature of the Cosmic Chaos, which was added to
the park the same year. As the colorful boat vehicle goes back and
forth on a U-shaped ramp, the boat spins. This ride replaced the
Kiddieland Magic Show after one season of operation, which itself
replaced the kiddie Cadillac ride. A statue of Kenny Kangaroo, the
park’s mascot, wearing a sailor suit stands in front of the ride.
Adults can ride.
|Steel City Choppers
||San Antonio Roller Works
||This ride lets children ride around in a circle on motorcycles.
A large umbrella covers the ride.
||R. E. Chambers
||It's a kiddie version of the Turtle ride at the park. While
Kennywood's Turtle is one of only two in operation, there are many
examples of the kiddie version to be found throughout the US. Until
Kiddieland’s expansion, this ride was located next to the Dizzy
Dynamo. Adults are allowed to ride.
||W. F. Mangels
||It was also one of the first four kiddie rides installed. This
miniature ferris wheel ride has had its cars replaced, but the ride
is much like it has been for many years.
||W. F. Mangels
||It's a kiddie version of the park's classic Whip ride. A kiddie
whip has been in place in Kiddieland for many years, although this
one was purchased in 1985 from a park in Oregon to replace the
original ride lost in a 1975 fire.
||It's a kiddie version of the Wave Swinger, although this ride
does not lift or undulate.
||It was an antique car ride located right at the front if the
park. Originally replacing the Laff in the Dark in 1966, this
attraction originally debuted with gasoline powered cars and was
sponsored by Gulf Oil. However, in 1987 these cars were removed and
replaced with electric cars manufactured by Chance. The direction
the cars traveled on the track was also switched to prevent the
cars from drifting through the station. It required two riders.
When it was created, it was a major investment for the park because
the tracks could not be removed and the park owners did not yet own
the land the park was built on. It originally had an old-fashioned
Gulf Oil station complete with a working
gas pump that was later re-themed to resemble a CO-GO's convenience
store and a BP gas station. The price of gas at the Turnpike's gas
station was read as "FUN", no matter what grade of fuel. Its last
day at Kennywood was Sunday, August 16. The park stated in an
official announcement that plans are underway to bring back the
Turnpike within the next few seasons.
||A Topsy-Turvy experience, the WipeOut was originally purchased
as a temporary ride to fill in for other rides as they were being
overhauled. Its first year at Kennywood, it was located at the
location of the Enterprise (now Volcano) while it was being
rehabbed. The following year the WipeOut spent its time filling in
for the Wave Swinger at the current location of the Kennyville
Stage while the Wave Swinger was being rehabbed to be reinstalled
as part of the new Lost Kennywood area of the Park that debuted
with a new permanent location for the WipeOut the following year.
In 2006, the Wipeout was moved to the former and now current
location of the Bayern Kurve to make way for the installation of
the Swingshot. Originally the Kurve was to be rehabbed over the
winter, but do to issues with obtaining parts, the WipeOut was
installed at its location and the Kurve was removed. 2008 would be
the last season for the WipeOut since the Bayern Kurve was finally
done with its lengthy overhaul and reinstalled at its former
location for the 2009 season. The WipeOut was moved to Lake
Compounce where it is currently operating in the location of the
park's former Music Express.
||Added to the park in the early eighties, it was a dark ride
themed as a runaway mine car traveling through a haunted coal mine.
It was bit frightening, yet comical. Originally designed with a
spiral lift taking the cars from the ground to the second floor
where the scenes were located, the station was rebuilt to be
located at the top of stairs above the midway next to the Raging
Rapids. This was done to eliminate the problems experienced with
the lift. It was removed during the 2007 season to make way for
Ghostwood Estate. Props from the Gold Rusher are used as part
of Death Valley during Kennywood's Phantom Fright Nights as well as
Park's Hallowboo!. The Ride System was originally
to be donated to the same park as the Flying Carpet, but was
eventually sold on ebay.
||Formerly located where the Cosmic Chaos is now, it was a
high-speed ride that begins by rocking back and forth until the
momentum rotates it right over the top. After a stop at the top,
riders would be sent in the opposite direction. It was removed at
the end of the 2006 season after a few overhauls were performed to
try to increase reliability and decrease maintenance that failed to
achieve the goal as the ride was continually plagued with down-time
during its time at the park. It was donated to a non-profit
amusement park in Costa Rica.
||It's famous for its Fresh Cut French
Fries. At the stand's location in front of the Thunderbolt's
helix turns, fries are cut fresh and served in a basket with an
option of up to eight toppings. The Potato Patch Fries have become
so well known that Pittsburgh-based Giant
Eagle grocery stores began selling frozen Potato Patch Fries in
2001. Lines for these popular french fries can have a longer wait
than those for some of the park's rides. To alleviate the wait,
another vendor of the famous fries, Small Fry's,
was added to Lost Kennywood.
|The Lucky Stand
||It's one of the oldest food stands in Kennywood and is known
for its age and fun-looking appearance. It is located in the center
of the Kennyville midway between the Potato Patch and Noah's Ark
and features a variety of carnival food. It has a pastel color
scheme of pink, yellow, and green.
||It's another famous carnival food stand in Kennywood, located
between the Parkside Cafe and the Olde Kennywood Railroad. It is
noted for its Chinese pagoda-style of architecture. It also
features a collection of wooden, hand-carved gargoyle heads that
were once located on the front of a former fleet of boats that
traveled through the Old Mill.
||It's a candy store that sells homemade fudge, and other
candies, and is located near the entrance of the park. It was
formerly the home of the Rotor and is a popular spot to stop at
before exiting the park.
||It's a cafeteria located in one of the Park's oldest
structures, a historic landmark formerly known as the casino.
Dating back to 1899, it was one of the first buildings at the
|Carousel Food Court
||It's located in the former carousel pavilion. Dating back to
1899, it was one of the first buildings at the park. In 1927,
Kennywood purchased its current carousel (which is adjacent to the
stand), which was too big for the existing pavilion and required
the construction of a new one. At one point this was called the
||Located in Lost Kennywood, it pays homage to
former competitor West View
Park, bearing a resemblance to its carousel
pavilion. Taking a page from the Carousel Court above, this
stand specializes in pizza, hoagies, burgers, hotdogs and
||Located next to the entrance to Kiddieland, is very popular for
its hand-dipped ice cream cones. Originally attached to the Dance
Pavilion, one of the park's first buildings dating from 1899, it is
all that remains after a 1975 fire destroyed the rest of the
||It can be found behind the Golden Nugget. Pizzas and hoagies
can be purchased here.
|Star Refreshment Stand
||Near the entrance of the Log Jammer, it gets its namesake from
a ferris wheel that used to sit on the land (not to be confused
with the Wonder Wheel, which was next to the stand and removed in
2000). A very large variety of food can be purchased here,
including the popular funnel cakes and the batter-dipped deep-fried
||These stands exist all over the park with a special stand next
to the Racer that sells Dot sundaes, milkshakes, floats and
|Midway Refreshment Stand
||This is the name of the vendor across from the Jack Rabbit and
it sells all sorts of delicious foods like Philly Steak
||Located in Volcano Valley, it's known for its Mexican-style
||Located in Lost Kennywood, its a refreshment stand, with items
like Dippin' Dots, Icee, and soft drinks.
||Across from Noah's Ark, it's an art-deco style ice cream stand
attached to the rear of the Parkside Cafe.
||Located in Lost Kennywood, it serves funnel cakes, deep-fried
Oreos, and more.
|U-Do-It Slush Factory
||It allows guests to combine any of 8 different slushie flavors
in one cup.
- Kiddieland is the first children's ride area
in the world, featuring all the rides in the park's diverse array
of young child-specific rides in a compact area between the Auto
Race and the Aero 360. It is located next to the edge of the cliff
on the river-view side of the park. Rides include miniature
versions of the Turtle, Wave Swinger, Phantom's Revenge, Cosmic
Chaos, Pitt Fall, Whip, and Merry-Go-Round. It was originally
located next to the Jack Rabbit.
- Lost Kennywood, which was added to the park in
1995, was built on the old sunlite pool/pay parking lot area. The
area evokes memories of Kennywood's long history, including its
short-lived rival Luna Park
(1905-1909), and also the illusion of yesteryear's dangerous rides,
with modern safety features. The area includes the Pittsburg
Plunge, the Whip, the Bavarian Wave Swinger, the Exterminator, the
Pitt Fall -drop tower ride, and the Swing Shot. Older rides which
have been removed from Lost Kennywood since its opening include the
Phantom Phlyers, Roll-O-Plane, and WipeOut. The gateway to Lost
Kennywood is a one-third scale replica of Luna Park's main entrance
which spells Pittsburgh with no
'H', because in 1905-1909, Pittsburgh's name was spelled that
way. Contrary to popular belief, it is not a spelling error.
- Volcano Valley was created in the park in 2003
for the addition of the new ride that year, King Kahuna. Also, the
park's Enterprise was re-themed as the Volcano during the
transformation of this section of the park, which includes the
Volcano, Pirate, and King Kahuna and features cement volcanoes that
are capable of spewing smoke.
- Entertainment is a focal point of Kennywood. Strolling
musicians, live shows, and costume characters truly evoke
Kennywood's rich history. For the park's 100th anniversary in 1998, the park had side
shows, magicians, and other events in their "anniversary midway."
During the 2008 season, the Kennyville Stage offered an act by
Jason Pipatone - Master Entertainer as well as all day viewing of
"Kenny TV", a closed circuit TV network displaying various videos
and trivia. "Kenny TV" can also be viewed at various other
locations throughout the park. The Scheer's Lumberjack Show had a
one year run in 2008 replacing the "Pirates of Kenny Cove"
high-dive show. In 2009, this location featured a show called
Maximum Velocity, a BMX stunt show based on audience participation.
The park also has strolling musicians and roaming mascots including
the park's mascot, Kenny Kangaroo, who debuted in the early 1970s.
From 2001 up through the end of 2008, the comic characters Garfield and Odie also could be
found at the park.
- Nationality Days are several annual events, each spotlighting a
different local culture. These include, but are not limited to,
Irish Day, Greek Day, Serbian Day, Croatian Day, Polish Day, Slovak
Day, and Italian Day. On these days some of the park's many picnic
pavilions will be in use for entertainers of the particular day's
nationality, including ethnic dancers.
Kennywood's Historic Windmill showing it's nighttime
View of Lost Kennywood from the Phantom's Revenge showing off
The fountain in front of the Garden Clock with the Clock
peeking out behind it
- The Lagoon is a stunning water feature in the
heart of the park featuring the paddle boats and the Skycoaster.
Several carnival games and food huts are adjacent to the Lagoon, as
well as the Log Jammer, Aero 360, Jack Rabbit, and Racer. For
decades there were twice daily circus acts performed in the middle
of the lagoon on the Lagoon Stage, however the shows came to an end
when the stage was converted to a loading platform for the
- The Windmill is a large decorative scaled-down
windmill structure that stands in the front of the park. At night,
the four spinning blades are illuminated by hundreds of lights. The
windmill is a wooden structure built on a stone foundation and is
one of the oldest structures in the park. Formerly located in the
middle of the lagoon, it was moved to the front of the park to make
room for the Traver circle swing, better known as the
- Dancing Waters is the water fountain located
between the Grand Prix and the Windmill, in what is probably the
most beautiful and serene part of the park. Formerly located in
front of the Wonder Wheel at the location of the Aero 360, It was
originally created as a scaled down replica of the fountain at
Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and was choreographed to lights and
- The Lost Kennywood Fountain is a spectacular
fountain located in front of the Pittsburg Plunge that features a
light show in the evenings. One part of the fountain is designed to
look like one that existed in almost the exact same place in the
former swimming pool.
- The Mushroom Fountain is a vintage drinking
fountain shaped like a giant mushroom featuring four spigots, each
at different heights for guests of all sizes. It is located between
the Merry-Go-Round and Parkside Cafe.
- The Clown-Headed Garbage Cans are a collection
garbage cans usually located within Kiddieland that are topped with
a colorfully-costumed fiberglass clown head cap. Each clown has a
hole in its wide open mouth through which, guests deposit their
garbage. Also, each clown has its own unique name painted on a tag
on its hat such as Bobo.
- The Garden Clock Plaza is a small area in
front of Raging rapids and the Olde Kennywood Railroad where the
old Garden Clock is located. The Garden Clock has graced the midway
for decades and the floral designs on the face of the clock change
annually and range from images of sunbursts to Kenny Kangaroo's
head. In front of the clock is a very unique spherical-shaped
fountain reminiscent of seeding dandelion flower that has seating
located around it. For a long time Cowboy Joe found a home on his
bench in front of the fountain in this area of the park.
- Laffin' Sal is a mechanical laughing woman
sculpted from paper mache who greets guests with her cheerful
gap-toothed smile and haunting laugh through a window in the Olde
Kennywood Railroad train station. She has been a Kennywood
tradition since the opening of Laff in the Dark during the Great
Depression to boost visitors' spirits. Before she moved to the
train station, she was located at the entrance of the park's old Le
Cachot dark ride. While her location and outfits change
occasionally, she herself has retained the same looks as well as
her original cackling laughter soundtrack. During Phantom Fright
Nights, she is dressed as a witch and an even creepier and
evil-sounding laugh soundtrack is played. Many people believe her
to be the scariest attraction at Kennywood.
- Cowboy Joe is a famous Kennywood "visitor" who
has been occupying his special bench in the park for decades. There
is a sign behind him that reads "Swappin' yarns with Cowboy Joe at
Kennywood." and park goers have been getting a picture taken with
him since he first stepped foot in the park. In reality, this
classic icon is but a fiberglass statue of a cowboy with glass eyes
(replaced with paint-on-fiberglass eyes in 2009), mounted to a
wooden bench. He used to hold a cigarette in his right hand, but
quit smoking cold turkey after being stripped of his paint,
patched, and repainted during 2008. His costume consists of a brown
hat, boots, and vest; red button down shirt; and blue jeans. Also,
he has gray hair and brown eyes. While his location within the park
has changed, he himself remains very much the same.
Phantom Fright Nights
Phantom Fright Nights
is a Halloween
event held at Kennywood on Friday and
Saturday nights during the month of October. The park typically
opens at seven in the evening and closes at one in the morning. The
event began in 2002, though the concept of theming an amusement
park for Halloween is not new. "Phantom Fright Nights" received
third place in the Golden Ticket
for best Halloween event in 2007.
traditionally marked the end of
the season and the park would shut down until the spring. In 2002,
Kennywood decided to break the long-standing tradition and turn
almost half of the park into a giant Halloween extravaganza. The
park's initial trial of Phantom Fright Nights in 2002 consisted of
four traditional haunted houses
only a few rides and roller coasters in operation. Despite the
relatively limited scope of the opening year, the experiment proved
to be a success, and new areas of the park and rides are opened for
the festivities every year. In 2004 Kennywood debuted Gory Park, a
haunted zone in Lost Kennywood. The following year, 2005, the park
managed to have 3/4 of the rides and attractions operable due to
high demand and record-breaking crowds. The park has reported
attendance greater for one Fright Night than they have on a good
normal operating day.
In the spirit of Halloween season, the park itself is given a
complete make-over, with costumed actors roaming the paths, spooky
music filling the air, and fog blanketing the park and every light
bulb in the park is changed to a different color—even the restroom
windows are covered in colored films. The merry-go-round horse
normally found in the fountain by the entrance is replaced by a
giant Phantom-like figure with glowing red eyes hovering over
bubbling red blood (dyed water). In some places sheets are hung up
and classic horror movies are played, such as the original "House
on Haunted Hill". Several areas of the park, including Kiddieland
and Lost Kennywood, are turned into open-air haunted attractions.
Other buildings, such as the Penny Arcade and the Parkside Terrace
Cafe, are converted into more traditional haunted houses. Some
rides are given entirely new lighting and fog effects including
strobes and blacklights, or in the Exterminator's case, an absolute
absence of light. In the case of the Musik Express,
Halloween-themed music is all that is played. Even the entrance
tunnel is affected; massive amounts of fog are pumped into the
passageway and chainsaw wielding characters stalk unsuspecting
guests as they enter. These ghouls are also found throughout the
park when least expected.
Kennywood discourages children under the age of thirteen from
attending the park during Phantom Fright Nights as the atmosphere
may be too intense for some younger children, but letting children
attend is solely at the discretion of parents or guardians. Many
children go to Fright Nights anyway, even with the suggestion since
Kennywood will admit attendees of any age.
- Villa of the Vampires in the Penny Arcade
- Mortem Manor in the Parkside Cafe
- The Haunted Ark in Noah's Ark
- Captain Skully's Curse in 3-D in the former
Whip Pavilion (Pavilion 23)
- Kennyville Cemetery in the grassy Dancing
- Dark Shadows in the back of Kiddieland
- Voodoo Bayou in the Raging Rapids trough
- Gory Park in Lost Kennywood
- Death Valley Haunted Ghost Town in front of
and leading up to Ghostwood Estate
- Fear Festival surrounding the area usually
occupied by the George Washington statue
- Creeper's Crypt in the Penny Arcade
- Fort Despair in the back of Kiddieland
- Terror Vision in 3-D in the former Whip
Pavilion (Pavilion 23)
- Fear Festival once was part of Gory Park.
- Dark Shadows once was located in Pavilion
Kennywood in the mass media
Kennywood's world renowned reputation and nation-wide popularity
has led to its mention and appearance in many forms of media
including TV shows, movies, books, records, and has even warranted
a reason to film a documentary about the park's history.
- Kennywood was mentioned in an episode of CSI: Crime Scene
Investigation entitled "Turning of the Screws", which dealt
with a Las Vegas roller coaster derailment. CSI Supervisor Gil Grissom, who is a roller coaster enthusiast,
tells the park engineer that he holds the marathon riding record on
the Steel Phantom in Kennywood Park, Pennsylvania.
- In the pilot episode of Disney's Even Stevens, the camera pans across
Kennywood, most likely, from the upper parking lot or the top of
the shopping center. The Pirate Ship, Swings, Noah's Ark, Thunder
Bolt, and Steel Phantom are clearly visible.
- Kennywood was also mentioned on an episode of Without a
Trace. They showed the park, but the name of it was not the
same. It had the famous Steel Phantom in the park also.
- Singer/Actor Micky Dolenz, former
drummer for The Monkees, often fondly
tells audiences at his live shows that Kennywood was the location
of his first ever public appearance. He appeared at Kennywood with
his elephant in the 1950s when he was known as Circus Boy. The television series featured
Micky as Corky, a boy who grows up on the road in a circus.
- Kennywood also served as the inspiration for "Joyland Park" in
LJ Smith's teen horror novel The Forbidden Game: The
- Rock 'n roll singer Freddy Cannon
recorded a slightly remade version of his 1962 hit "Palisades Park" called "Kennywood Park",
featuring attractions at Kennywood . The song was released on a limited-edition 45
vinyl pressing and sold as a $1.99 fundraising item for
Pittsburgh's Children's Hospital through the now-defunct National
Record Mart. The record is considered by some to be a collector's
September 28, 1988, the local PBS station,
WQED, first aired
Kennywood Memories, a one hour documentary about
Kennywood. Rick Sebak narrated.
Though twenty years later, many of the rides talked about are gone,
the historic information about the park is still quite relevant.
WQED has made the entire program log available on their website.
Asterisks (*) indicate number of times a ride was replaced or
- 2010: Name TBD, A New Steel Roller Coaster , Turnpike Removed and placed in storage
with intent to be reinstalled.
- 2009: Bayern Kurve**** , WipeOut removed, original Phantom drop and
second hill retracked.
- 2008: Ghostwood Estate , new Kiddieland games building.
- 2007: Cosmic Chaos, SS Kenny, roofing over the escalators to lot 2,
Gold Rusher removed.
- 2006: Swing Shot
- 2005: New front gate structures built, Bayern Kurve*** and
Swing Around removed
- 2004: Garfield's Nightmare (theme change from Old Mill)
- 2003: King Kahuna (formerly Top
Spin from Lake Compounce), Ham-on-Rye (removed in 2005), Volcano
Valley themed area, Volcano (theme change from Enterprise),
Roll-O-Plane removed, Miniature Golf removed
- 2002: Garfield's Pounce Bounce, Phantom Fright Nights
Revenge (rebuilt from Steel Phantom), Crazy
- 2000: Aero 360, Dancing Waters relocated across from Grand
Prix, Garfield and Odie added as park mascots
- 1999: Exterminator, Wonder Wheel
- 1998: Kennywood celebrates its 100th anniversary, Centennial
Midway (one season), Le Cachot removed
- 1997: Pitt Fall
- 1996: Lil Phantom (Kiddieland), Kenny's
Parkway, Noah's Ark remodeled, Phantom Phlyer removed
- 1995: LOST KENNYWOOD expansion in former location of Sunlite
Swimming Pool - Pittsburg Plunge,
Phantom Phlyer (Removed in 1996),
moved to Lake Compounce), Roll-O-Plane*** (removed in 2003), Whip
and Wave Swinger moved to Lost Kennywood, Great Balloon Race
- 1994: SkyCoaster, Bayern Kurve***
(Removed in 2005)
- 1993: WipeOut (removed
- 1992: Tri-Star (lasts only one season, moved to Idlewild), Old
Mill (Haunted Hideaway renamed)
Phantom (quickly tops top 10 list, rebuilt as Phantom's
Revenge in 2001)
Great Balloon Race (removed in
1995, moved to Idlewild), Laser Loop removed, original facade on Racer loading platform
- 1989: Swing Around** (removed in 2005, Monster removed
- 1988: Flying
Carpet (removed in 2006), Rotor***
(removed in 1994, eventually moved to Lake Compounce), Tilt-A-Whirl
- 1987: Musik Express, electric cars
added to Turnpike and directions cars face on track reversed,
Kennywood designated National Historic Landmark
- 1986: Wonder Wheel (removed in
1999), Bayern Kurve** removed, geysers and waterfall added to
- 1985: Raging Rapids, Super Round-Up removed
- 1984: Wave Swinger, Swing Around* (removed at end of
season, but returns five years later), Bayern Kurve** (original
replaced), Dipper removed
- 1983: Ranger (lasts only one
- 1982: Pirate, Wonder Bread
trains on Racer replaced by new PTC models
- 1981: Gold Rusher (removed in 2007),
Loop.(Removed in 1990)
- 1979: Monster***, renamed
Monongahela Monster (removed 1989), Garden Stage (removed in
- 1978: Enterprise (renamed
Volcano in 2003), Rockets removed
Monster**; Nearby West View
- 1976: Tilt-A-Whirl*** (removed in
1988, moved to Idlewild), Round-Up*** (moved to Idlewild
1985), SkyDiver replaced with new model and renamed
- 1975: Log Jammer (first
multi-million dollar ride in the park's history)
- 1974: Hardheaded Harold's Horrendously Humorous Haunted
Hideaway (theme change of park's Old Mill), Kenny Kangaroo makes
his debut as park mascot
- 1973: Gran Prix, Sunlite Swimming
- 1972: Bayern Kurve*, Le Cachot Name
means "The Dungeon" in French, replaced Safari dark ride. (removed
1998), Monster* (removed 1974)
- 1971: Roll-O-Plane** (removed 1985)
- 1969: Noah's Ark remodeled, Loop-O-Plane** (removed 1983)
Thunderbolt, rebuilt from Pippin. The four drops in the
ravine and the lift hill remain intact from the original coaster.
The new Thunderbolt track had a small hill in the inner helix that
was removed in 1969.
- 1967: Road Runner (Cuddle Up), Ghost
Ship (Replaced Tornado, Both rides destroyed in fire on June
- 1966: Turnpike (Electric cars added in 1987)
- 1965: Rotor** (removal date unknown), Popover (removed in 1976), Laff in the Dark
- 1964: Tornado dark ride (from defunct
Freedomland, removed 1966), Round-Up** (replacing original
Round-Up; damaged by the June 19, 1975 fire and replaced with Super
- 1962: Kangaroo (only Flying Coaster flat ride in
- 1961: Bandshell destroyed in fire,
Calypso (removed 1987), Old Mill gets new boats
- 1960: Wild Mouse removed, facade on Racer loading platform
- 1959: SkyDiver
- 1958: Wild Mouse
(removed 1960), Little Dipper remodeled and renamed Dipper
- 1957: Round-Up* (replaced with new model in 1964)
- 1955: Rotor* (removed 1958),
Sunlite Pool reopens after rehab, Kiddie Cadillacs, Daffy Klub
- 1953: Sunlite Pool closes to swimming due to maintenance
problems and turned into U-Drivem boat concession
- 1952: Octopus (removed 1965), Tickler removed
- 1950: Roll-O-Plane* (removed
- 1949: Tilt-A-Whirl** (removed 1963), Tumble Bug renamed
- 1948: Little Dipper (remodeled in 1958, removed in 1984), hills
removed from Auto Race and car bodies replaced with current style
bodies, Tumble Bug cars replaced with turtle-looking versions
- 1947: Teddy Bear removed
- 1946: Original facade on Racer loading platform replaced
- 1945: Olde Kennywood Railroad
- 1941: Daffy Klub (replaces 13 Spook Street)
- 1940: Rockets (Traver circle swing added to island in lagoon,
- 1938: Ridee-O (removed 1959)
- 1937: 13 Spook Street, Kiddie Old Mill
(Swan Boats, removed mid-70's)
- 1936: Noah's Ark (re-built in 1996), Loop-O-Plane* (removed 1950)
- 1935: Teddy Bear (roller coaster, removed in 1947), Skooter
- 1931: Tickler (roller coaster, removed 1952)
- 1930: Auto Race, Laff in the Dark (removed 1965)
- 1929: Dodgem removed
- 1928: Brownie Coaster (removed 1953 or later), Tilt-A-Whirl*
- 1927: Merry-Go-Round(T.M. Harton
carousel replaced by current William H. Dentzel model), current
Racer, Tumble Bug, larger 16 car
Whip**, Kiddieland** (moved from near Jack Rabbit coaster to former
location of original Racer coaster)
- 1926: 1910 Racer removed
- 1925: Sunlite Swimming Pool
Pippin (converted to Thunderbolt in 1968), Kiddieland*
(located near Jack Rabbit coaster)
- 1923: Speed-O-Plane removed
- 1922: Dodgem (removed in 1929)
Rabbit, Gee Whizz Dip the Dips removed
- 1918: Whip* (replaced in
- 1914: Old Mill (re-themed Panama Canal)
- 1913: Merry-Go-Round** (original G.A. Dentzel carousel replaced
by T.M. Harton model)
- 1911: Speed-O-Plane (removed 1923), Panama Canal (re-themed Old
- 1910: 1910 Racer (original version, removed 1926), Dip-the-Dips
Scenic Railway removed
- 1906: Fairyland Floats (re-themed Old Mill), Figure Eight
Toboggan renamed to Gee Whizz Dip the Dips
- 1905: Dip-the-Dips Scenic Railway (removed 1910)
- 1904: Steeplechase removed
- 1903: Steeplechase (removed 1904)
- 1902: Figure Eight Toboggan (park's first coaster, removed
- 1901: Old Mill (converted to
Garfield's Nightmare in 2004, also formerly named/themed as Hard
Headed Harrold's Horrendously Humorous Haunted Hideaway and Panama
- 1899: Merry-Go-Round* (G.A. Dentzel carousel), Casino
restaurant (now Parkside Cafe), Dancehall
- 1898: Kennywood opened by Monongahela Street Railways
- Hahner, pg. 9