Kilmore ( ) is a small
village in County
Ireland, 2.5 miles north of Richhill and 6 miles north of Armagh, off the A3
Armagh to Portadown road .
Kilmore parish church
In the 2001 Census
it had a population
of 111 people. It is situated within the Armagh City and District
Parish Church is possibly is older than the Cathedrals of Armagh
and Derry, as it is
reputed to date from 422 AD.
The Square Tower has walls of
immense thickness, and they enclose the almost perfect round tower
of the Monastery
of Cill Mhór. Little is
known of the monastery, but it is reported to have been founded by
Saint Mochto in the 5th century.
Finds from the area include a 12th century silver finger ring, a
bone comb, fragments of a lignite bracelet, skeletal remains from
fields surrounding the church and an early 10th century copper
alloy and crutch-headed pin now in the British Museum.
For more information see The Troubles in Kilmore,
, which includes a list of incidents in Kilmore
during the Troubles resulting in two or more fatalities.
- Francis Johnston, one of Ireland's most
celebrated architects, was a native of
Kilmore, County Armagh, who in his later years became known as
'Ireland's Wren'. He designed the principal buildings of the
Observatory which began construction in 1789.