The Full Wiki

King, Ontario: Map

Advertisements
  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



King (2006 population 19,487) is a township in York Regionmarker north of Torontomarker, within the Greater Toronto Area in Ontariomarker, Canadamarker.

King features some of the most picturesque countryside in Ontariomarker. The rolling hills of the Oak Ridges Moraine are King's most prominent geographical features. The Holland Marsh, considered to be Ontario's "vegetable basket", is also located in King Township. King is also known for its prestigious horse farms and cattle farms.

Though King Township is predominantly rural, most of its residents are concentrated in the communities of King Citymarker, Nobletonmarker, and Schombergmarker.

History

King Township is named for Major John King, an English Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department in the Portland administration, from 1794 to 1801. The township was created as part of the subdivision of York County, itself a subdivision of the Home District. The lands were originally acquired by the British in an agreement with the Mississaugas, known as the Toronto Purchase; it was enacted in British parliament as the Toronto Purchase Act in 1787. Approximately of land were administered by the township in 1878, according to the Historical Atlas of York County, but by 1973 this had been reduced to 82,000; some of its land has been ceded to what are now known as Newmarketmarker, Auroramarker and Oak Ridgesmarker.

Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe planned Yonge Street, which was built between 1793 and 1796 by the Queen's Rangers. By 1801, Timothy Rogers, a Loyalist from Vermontmarker, had travelled the road and found an area on its western boundary immediately southwest of Newmarket very appealing. He applied for and received a grant for land totalling 40 farms, each of , and subsequently returned to Vermont to recruit families to operate those farms. By February 1802, he had set out for King Township with the first group of settlers for those forty farms. A second group followed later that month.

The area would become known as Armitage, the first of King's settlements, but now part of Newmarket. Soon after the establishment of Armitage, the communities of Kettlebymarker and Lloydtownmarker were established to the west. More settlers arrived from New Yorkmarker, Pennsylvaniamarker, and other Loyalist enclaves over the subsequent years to populate the region, drawn by the abundant, fertile land being apportioned relatively cheaply to newcomers.

The first survey of King Township, conducted in 1800 by Stegmann, indicated a population of twenty residents. By 1809, the population had increased sevenfold, to 160.

There is some evidence of a large Huron encampment at Hackett Lake. Residents in the area in the 1950s and 1960s would discover arrowheads and other archaeological items indicating a Huron presence. This is consistent with the fact that the Toronto Carrying-Place Trail, a major route used in the 1600s and 1700s, passes through the township. The route was used by explorer Étienne Brûlé, who first travelled along the trail with twelve Huron guides in 1615.

Early settlements in the area developed primarily around gristmills and sawmills. These were important economic engines in the region during the 1800s, which resulted in the establishment of other communities and businesses nearby. Some settlements have since been abandoned, or are no longer communities per se, including Bell's Lake, Davis Corners, and King Ridge.

Geography



The township's boundaries are;
  • East: Bathurst St.
  • South: a line north of the King-Vaughan Road
  • West: the Caledon/King Townline, which connects two roads (Caledon/King Townline North and Caledon/King Townline South) in a roughly straight line
  • North: Highway 9 from the Caledon/King Townline to slightly east of Highway 27, then cuts north following branches of the Holland Rivermarker until it meets Bathurst St.


The majority of King is located on the Oak Ridges Moraine, which is the origin for the headwaters of many rivers throughout its extent, including the Humber River in King. Numerous interconnected provincially- and regionally-significant areas are located in the township. The most prominent are seven Areas of Natural and Scientific Interest, and the many wetland complexes adjacent to or within those areas.

Government

King Township was incorporated in 1850 as The Corporation of the Township of King. Its current mayor is Margaret Black. The Town Council includes the mayor and six Councillors representing the township's six wards.

King Township Council
Position Councillor Communities Represented
Mayor Margaret Black All King Township
Ward 1 Cleve Mortelliti Eastern King Citymarker, Eversley, Snowballmarker, Temperancevillemarker
Ward 2 Jeff Laidlaw Nobletonmarker, King Creekmarker, Laskay, Strangemarker
Ward 3 Linda Pabst Hammertown, Happy Valley, Holly Park, Linton, New Scotland
Ward 4 Bill Cober Schombergmarker, Pottagevillemarker, Lloydtownmarker
Ward 5 Jane Underhill Western King Citymarker, Heritage Park, Kettlebymarker, Kinghorn
Ward 6 Jack Rupke Ansnorveldtmarker, Glenville and northeastern King Township


The township draws revenues from various sources. The most significant in 2007 are municipal taxes (67.9% of revenue), fees and service charges (14.0%), water charges (4.3%), grants (3.5%) and reserves (2.9%). The most significant expenditures for 2007 are general municipal government (27.6%), recreation and culture (21.7%), transportation (17.8%), protection (16.6%) and environmental projects (11.6%).

The Township offices currently (March 2005) reside at the King City Plaza, though a more appropriate permanent location is being investigated.

The federal riding of Oak Ridges—Markham is currently represented by Lui Temelkovski, a member of the Liberal Party of Canada. This riding was created for the 2004 election because of rapid growth in York Region. Before 2004, King was in the riding of Vaughan—King—Aurora.

The provincial riding of Oak Ridges—Markham is currently represented by Helena Jaczek, a member of the Ontario Liberal Party. It was created as part of Ontario's re-districting to match provincial electoral districts with their federal equivalents. King was part of the Vaughan—King—Aurora electoral district from 1999 to 2007, York—MacKenzie from 1995 to 1999, and York North from Confederation to 1995.

Demographics

Originally settled by United Empire Loyalists in the late 1700s, King is now influenced by the significant immigration and diversification resultant from its proximity to Toronto.

King Township's population grew by 1.7% between 1996 and 2001, most new residents settling in the communities of King City, Nobleton or Schomberg. The population density is 55.6 people per square kilometre; however, the Township is characterized by areas of extremely low density farming communities and the much higher density of its three major villages.

The median age of residents is 39.4; 30% of the population over 15 years of age is still single. Foreign-born residents accounted for 20% of the population. Only 3% of residents identify themselves as visible minorities.

Of residents 15 years of age or older, 28% have a university certificate, diploma or degree. Another 18% have a college certificate or diploma, and 10% have a trade certificate or diploma. However, there is variability between age groups, as younger people are increasingly participating in higher levels of education.

Work

Nearly 15% of all employed residents work from home. Almost 3% walk or bike to work sites within the community; 5% use public transit, and 75% drive or are passengers in private vehicles, to reach work destinations within the Greater Toronto Area.

The participation rate in the work force is 72.4%, with a 3.6% unemployment rate. The largest industries are:

  • Construction and Manufacturing: 24%
  • Business services: 23%
  • Wholesale and Retail Trade: 17%
  • Health and Education: 12%
  • Finance and Real Estate: 8%


The median income for two-parent families is $90,364. For single-parent families, the median income is $43,673. The average value of a dwelling in King is $386,416.

Religion

The township's residents have the following religious affiliation:



Transportation

The Township of King is located half-way between Torontomarker and Barriemarker, stretching from Bathurst Street to just east of Highway 50. King is accessible by Highways 400, 27, 9 and 11.

Public transportation is provided by York Region Transit (bus service) and GO Transit (bus and train services), but their services are limited in the township due to low population density. King City GO Stationmarker is the only train station in the township. York Region Transit's services are confined to the southeastern area, and GO bus services the Nobleton and King City communities.

Most air travel is served by Toronto Pearson International Airportmarker, Canada's largest airport, located south of the township in Mississaugamarker.

Education

Public schools with classes from kindergarten through grade twelve are administered by the York Region District School Board and the York Catholic District School Board. The only public secondary school in King, King City Secondary Schoolmarker, serves students residing in a relatively large geographic area, including some from border towns. A private Catholic high school, St. Thomas of Villanova College, and private secular high school, The Country Day School, are also located in the township.

Seneca Collegemarker owns a campus located in the northeastern portion of King Township, where the College offers a broad range of programs.

Settlements

King's earliest settlement, Armitage, is now part of Newmarket, and was quickly succeeded by Lloydtown and Kettleby. Subsequent settlements were founded proximally to rivers, which provided the energy necessary to operate various mills. The earliest were based in Laskay, Kinghorn, and Eversley. The hamlet of Springhill was established later and flourished; it was renamed King City, now the largest population centre in the township.

Eversley is a hamlet that, although it has its own historical development, has slowly been subsumed into King City. It lies on King City's north-eastern edge, just south of Snowball.

Glenville is a hamlet located in northeastern King, just south of the community of Ansnorveldt.

Heritage Park is a community of King City. It is a natural and wildlife park characterized by ravines and creeks, some of which feed the East Humber River. Portions of the park are in the King City Trail.

Kinghorn is a hamlet community of King City, located at the Jane Street-King Road intersection. It is a sparse residential area adjacent to Highway 400, and is home to the King Township Museum and The Kingbridge Centre.

Laskay is a hamlet located just west of King City and south of the King Road—Weston Road intersection.

Snowballmarker is a growing hamlet located just north of Eversley, west of Aurora.

Other hamlets in King include Elm Pine Trail, Holly Park, Linton, and New Scotland.

Heritage sites

In the township, there are eleven sites designated Heritage Sites, including:

  • King Station was built in 1852 along the Northern Railway to serve Springhill (now King City). It was moved in 1989 to the grounds of the King Township Museum. It is believed to be the oldest surviving railway station in Canada, and was designated a heritage site in 1990.
  • King Emmanuel Baptist Church, formerly the King Christian Church until 1931, it was moved to the grounds of the King Township Museum in 1982, and designated a Heritage Site in 1992.
  • King City Cemetery, established in 1886, was designated a Heritage Site in July 2007.
  • King City Cemetery Dead House built circa 1887 was designated a Heritage Site in 2001. It is an octagonal structure that was used to preserve the dead during the winter, during which grave-digging was not feasible. Octagonal dead houses were unique to the area bordering Yonge Street north of Toronto during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
  • Eversley Presbyterian Church, a stone structure built in 1848, demonstrates the Scottish influence common in the area's early development. It was designated in 1984.
  • Glenville Methodist Church, a small frame structure built in 1859, which remained operational until 1952. It was designated in 1983 as a township Heritage Site.
  • King Christian Church Cemetery was the first burial grounds for Kettleby, built in 1850. It was designated a Heritage Site in 1986.
  • Laskay Temperance Hall, built in 1859 by the Sons of Temperance. It had been operated by the Laskay Women's Institute since 1910, and is now operated by the municipality. It was designated a Heritage Site in 1986.


Public services

The township's municipal tax revenue is divided into three streams. One portion is combined with that from other municipalities for education purposes, a second portion is used to finance regional projects managed by York Region, and the last portion is used for local services.

The most significant cultural service provided via municipal funding is the King Township Public Library, which operates four branches in the township.

Waste management is provided through the region, and is co-ordinated with programs offered in other towns in York Region. Weekly green bin compost collection began in September 2007 to complement the weekly collection of recyclable material; collection of all other waste was reduced to once every two weeks.

References

Footnotes

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message