The Full Wiki

More info on King Low Heywood Thomas

King Low Heywood Thomas: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:







King Low Heywood Thomas







Established 1865
School type Private, Day
Religious affiliation None
Head Thomas B. Main
Location Stamford, Connecticutmarker
Enrollment 650 (PreK-12)
Campus Suburban
Colors Navy, Gold, Red
Mascot Viking
Homepage klht.org










King Low Heywood Thomas is a private, co-educational day school for grades PreK-12 in Stamford, Connecticutmarker. It is commonly referred to as "King" by students and faculty.

Formation and history

King Low Heywood Thomas is the product of the convergence of three distinct independent schools that, from the beginning, shared similar educational missions.

The oldest of the schools, Low-Heywood, was founded by Mrs. C.E. Richardson in 1865 and was located in downtown Stamford. In 1883, Miss Louisa Low purchased Mrs. Richardson’s School for Girls. Her niece, Miss Edith Heywood, was her assistant.

In 1875, Hiram King, a Dartmouth Collegemarker graduate, was asked by several local families to form a private boys' school. King’s Day School was also located in downtown Stamford and had several homes before settling on Colonial Road in 1933. Twenty-five years later, the school building burned to the ground and was relocated to a replacement building. Five years later, the King School moved to the Simon Estate, the summer home of singer/songwriter Carly Simon and her family. The Simon House still stands on the campus, and serves as the location of many of the administrative departments of the school.

In the meantime, the Low-Heywood School was forced to move from its downtown location to Shippan Pointmarker to make way for the main Post Office building. The school was successful but in 1944, the heirs of Miss Louisa Low and Miss Edith Heywood sold the property on which the school was located. Within a month of the sale, the school relocated to Judge Lockwood’s estate on Courtland Avenue and, in 1969, finally settled into the Walker estate adjacent to the King School on Newfield Avenue.

While all this was going on in Stamford, a few miles away in Rowaytonmarker, Mabel Thomas created a school on her parent’s summer estate. Opening in 1922, the Thomas School was intended to be both a day and boarding school. According to a story in the Norwalk Hour, the school would offer “lessons in the morning and after a wholesome hot dinner, there will be games and sports in the afternoons, both indoor and outdoor, under the supervision of a physical director.”

In 1974, the neighboring Low-Heywood and King schools began coordinating their educational and extracurricular programs in the Upper Schools. In 1975, the Thomas School merged with the Low-Heywood School at the latter’s Newfield Avenue campus. Both the King School and Low-Heywood-Thomas School maintained individual identities until 1988, when the King & Low-Heywood Thomas School was formed as a coeducational school. The Lower School and Middle School were located on the former King Campus while the Upper School took over the former Low-Heywood Thomas Campus. In July 2008, the School's name was officially changed to King Low Heywood Thomas.

Academics

King Low Heywood Thomas has three divisions: the Lower School (PreK-Grade 5), the Middle School (Grade 6-Grade 8), and the Upper School (Grade 9-Grade 12).

The Lower School Program is composed of four broad categories of general education: Language Arts (colloquially referred to as "English"), Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies. Each is designed to cover a broad spectrum of topics, and establish enough knowledge so that students can participate in more advanced learning. The FLES Program in Spanish was introduced in September 2008.

The Middle School Program begins to focus on more in-depth examination of the basic topics established at the Lower School; a foreign language requirement is also added. The topics are generally referred to as English (corresponding to the Language Arts category), History (corresponding to the Social Studies category), Mathematics, Modern Language, and Science. Students must choose between Spanish, French or Chinese for the Modern Language requirement.

The Upper School focuses on complete specialization. The English Department is excellent and more closely resembles literary studies. The Science Department provide a basis in biology, chemistry, and physics. Courses in specialized topics such as forensics and organic chemistry are also available. Mathematics covers basic algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. The Modern Language Department focuses on Spanish and French, from the fundamentals to advanced literary studies. Visual Art offerings including drawing, painting, and clay, with a sequence for talented artists to explore a variety of media in depth in their four years. Performing Arts are quite strong, with an array of vocal and instrumental music, drama, and technical theater courses available to students. Finally, the Computer Science Department offers courses in such topics as programming, graphic design, and web development. AP courses are generally offered in every subject, and independent studies are available for interested students.

Library Resources

The school is one of only ten secondary schools in Connecticut which have become subscribers to the online journal repository JSTOR [313970].

Athletics

King Low Heywood Thomas is part of the Fairchester Athletic Association, consisting of independent schools in Fairfield County, CT, and Westchester County, NY, and of the Western New England Preparatory School Association. Notable past King athletes include Jesse Simms, grandson of former baseball player Jackie Robinson, Rob A. Kligman, participant on the 1997 Division 1 Baseball College World Series team for Rice University Billy-Dee Greenwood, a USA Today and Parade Magazine first team All-American football player, Nathaniel Collins, a defensive end/nose guard at the University of Virginia, and Hugh Stangeland, an Offensive Lineman at Michigan State University.

/www.rice.edu/projects/thresher/issues/85/970829/Sports/Story02.html

Fall



Winter



Spring



Other Information

Carrie J. Salvatore is the Director of Admissions and Financial Aid for the school.

See also



References

  1. King Low Heywood Thomas ~ Athletics
  2. Rice Thresher Newspaper, available at http://www.rice.edu/projects/thresher/issues/85/970829/Sports/Story02.html & http://www.rice.edu/projects/thresher/issues/83/951117/Opinion/Story01.html
  3. UNC Player Profiles, available at http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/unc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/playerprofiles.pdf
  4. http://www.eschoolsearch.com/index.cfm?action=showdetail&id=30342



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message