The Full Wiki

Kings Norton: Map

Advertisements
  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Kings Norton is an area of Birminghammarker, Englandmarker. It is also a Birmingham City Council ward within the formal district of Northfieldmarker.

History

Kings Norton derives its name from the Norman period, meaning 'north farmland or settlement' belonging to or held by the king, when Kings Norton was part of the King's forest in the district of Bromsgrove. However the Domesday Book of 1086 records the village as 'Nortune', noting that even in Anglo-Saxon England immediately before the Norman Conquest, the land the village stood on was owned by the King. Kings Norton is now divided into several parts with the ancient centre, based around the village green, still intact.

Civil war

Kings Norton was the scene of a couple of minor episodes from the English Civil War. In the first of these, a force led by Prince Rupert of the Rhine, numbering some 300, was resting on Kings Norton Green. There, they were surprised by a smaller group led by Lord Willoughby of Parham. A skirmish took place, in which fifty of Prince Rupert's men were killed, and twenty were taken prisoner. The Parliamentarian force lost twenty men. This took place on the 17 October, 1642.

In a later episode, Queen Henrietta Maria arrived in Kings Norton with an army of around 5,500 men that she had raised in Yorkshiremarker. It is believed that she stayed the night in the Saracen's Headmarker, while the army camped on land behind the church, now Kings Norton Park (giving rise to the modern road name "Camp Lane"). There is also a public house on this road named The Camp Inn.

Markets and fairs

In 1616, King James granted permission to hold markets and fairs at Kings Norton. Both the original fairs and the market eventually fell into disuse. At some later date, a Mop Fair began to be held on the Green on the first Monday of October. A Mop Fair was a hiring fair where people would go looking for employment. After the decline of hiring fairs, the Mop became a village fête organised by the Round Table and raising money for local people. More recently, the Round Table handed over running the Mop to a commercial fun fair. A new Farmers' Market was set up in 2005, operating on The Green once a month.

Industrialisation and expansion

In 1796, the Birmingham and Worcester Canalmarker was built through Kings Norton, linking Birmingham to the River Severn. This was linked to the Stratford-upon-Avon Canalmarker by Kings Norton Junctionmarker, allowing access to Stratford-upon-Avonmarker and, more significantly, the Grand Union Canalmarker. Just beyond the junction is a rare example of a guillotine lock.

Kings Norton, along with many of the small towns near Birmingham, expanded considerably in the 19th century with a railway link into Birmingham passing by the new Bournvillemarker factory just to the north. Historically, Kings Norton had been part of Worcestershire, but from 1898, it was part of the King's Norton and Northfieldmarker urban district until added to Birmingham in 1911 by the Greater Birmingham Act.

Urbanisation

Kings Norton Park - a gift from The Birmingham Civic Society
During the 20th century, the area grew further with additional private and public housing. In October 1920, 25½ acres of land at Kings Norton (just below St Nicolas' Church) were purchased by the Birmingham Civic Society and afterwards presented to the city for the benefit of the citizens of Birmingham. The Society also designed and paid for the formal gardens, gates on the Pershore Road side and stone benches.

With the clearance of city centre slum housing, there was a pressing need for additional social housing in Birmingham. As part of this programme, the City Council built several new housing estates in Kings Norton, including the Wychall Farm and Pool Farm estates in the 1960s and the Primrose and Hawkesleymarker estates in the 1970s. These new estates occupied land that had previously been open farmland, most notably the area known as the Three Estates (Pool Farm, Primrose and Hawkesley) which occupy land mostly to the east of the Birmingham and Worcester canal and the A441 Redditch Road.

Places of interest

Kings Norton Green and St Nicolas Church viewed in Autumn
St Nicolas' Churchmarker dates from the 13th century, and the spire dates from the 15th century. In addition, the Green contains three later medieval building from the 15th century, the Old Grammar School, the Saracen's Headmarker and number 10 The Green.

In the summer of 2004, two of these ancient buildings, The Saracen's Head and The Old Grammar School were the winners of the BBC's Restoration competition and were awarded over £3 million towards the cost of major refurbishment. In 2006, planning permission was granted for the restoration of these buildings, and work started.

The Old Grammar School and Saracen's Head were reopened to the public in June 2008, and in December 2008 were renamed as Saint Nicolas Place.

Transport

Modern Kings Norton lies on the A441 Pershore Road South which runs between Birmingham and Redditch to the south. It also has a railway stationmarker on the Cross-City Line. The line of Icknield or Ryknild Street, a Roman road running northwards from Alcestermarker via Metchley Fortmarker in Edgbastonmarker towards Sutton Coldfieldmarker and beyond, can be traced through the eastern edge of the district.

Buses run from the Birmingham city centre regularly throughout the day, these numbers are 45 and 47. 49 also runs on a 20 minute service from Solihull and Northfield.

Industry

Kings Norton is home to the world-famous glass manufacturers Triplex (now part of Pilkington).

Redevelopment

A number of redevelopment projects have proved necessary because of the deteriorating quality of the social housing in Kings Norton.

In 1999, the Pool Farm, Primrose and Hawkesley housing estates, collectively known as the 'Three Estates', were awarded a regeneration grant as part of the government's New Deal for the Community programme (NDC). The award of £50 million is designed to run over ten years. Unlike earlier government regeneration programmes, NDC is able to focus on issues such as health and employment as well as on housing. Following considerable consultation, a major rebuild of the estates is planned.

A major redevelopment of the Wychall Farm estate in the west of Kings Norton was started in 2001. The previous housing was built using a system build approach that had exceeded its projected life-span. Bromford Housing Association have led the redevelopment.

A large, new, private housing estate has also been built on the site of the former Monyhull Hall Hospital, just outside the boundary of Kings Norton ward.

Famous residents



Politics

Kings Norton is a ward of Birmingham City Council, a metropolitan unitary authority. Three councillors are elected for Kings Norton; since the local government elections in May 2007 these are Barbara Wood (Conservative), and Geoff and Margaret Sutton (Conservative).

Kings Norton became part of Northfield district in 2006, having formerly been part of Selly Oakmarker. In 2004, the ward boundary was changed as part of city-wide boundary alterations overseen by the Boundary Commission. This saw the addition of a small area of the Birmingham, Hall Greenmarker constituency in the east of the ward, and a small area of the Birmingham, Northfieldmarker constituency at the south of the ward in the West Heathmarker area.

Most of the Kings Norton ward is represented by Birmingham, Selly Oakmarker MP Lynne Jones, though at the next election the ward will be transferred in its entirety to the Birmingham, Northfield seat. Owing to the boundary changes, until the next general election, residents of the ward may be represented by one of three MPs - Lynne Jones, Steve McCabe, or Richard Burden - depending on where they live.

Kings Norton ward has adopted a Ward Support Officer with the current holder of the title being Bob Barr.

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message