Quilandy/Quilandi) is a city and
a municipality in Kozhikode
district in the Indian state of Kerala.
is between Calicut and Badagara(Vatakara )
and is on NH 17.
The most famous freedom fighter of Kerala Kelappan was born in near
by village Muchukunnu. Kelappaji donated his large quantity of land
to backward cast(harijan)people. .It's also famous for keezhariyyur
Quilandi is located at . It has an average elevation of .
India census, Quilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Quilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Quilandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Calicut made in Koyilandy
were famous across north india, Gulf and Pakistan.Prepared by
Moosari, a coppersmith community,
these Hookahs were once considered a pride of
However it is not so any more. in But in Gulf
countries, Koyilandy Hookahs are still very
popular as "Malabar Hookah."
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had
taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They
commissioned the local craftsmen to make Hookah, an object of
oriental culture.Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed
Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy
Hookah.Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the
Koyilandy Hookahs have coconut shell as the water holder. Even
today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Image:Big_hookah.jpg|The intricate work on a Malabar
HookahImage:The_hookah_family.jpg|The hookah family
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and
remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Railway Station- Quilandi Railway station.
- Nearest Airport- Calicut Airport,
approx. 50 km away.
- Road- Koyilandy is well connected by road as the National Highway 17 passes through the
- Nilambur-Koyilandi SH pass through here.
Quilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara
Places of Interest
- Parappalli Beach
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Poyilkave High School, Poyilkave
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt moppla higher secondery school Koyilandi
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- SVASS Naduvathur
- IHSS Kappad
- ICS Koyilandy
- Amrita school peruvatoor
- Bhavans Koyilandy
- Anthata up school
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sanskrit university branch, Nambrathkara