The Full Wiki

More info on Krasiczyn Palace

Krasiczyn Palace: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

General view of the palace.
Courtyard.
Royal Tower.
Divine Tower.


Krasiczyn Palace ( ) is a Renaissance structure in Polandmarker, located on a lowland on the right bank of the San, along the route Przemysl-Sanokmarker (about 10 kilometres southwest of the city of Przemysl). The castle across the centuries belonged to several noble Polish families, and was visited by many Polish kings. Together with a picturesque garden, it now belongs to the Industrial Development Agency ( ).

History

The construction of the castle started in 1580, initiated by a local nobleman Stanislaw Siecienski of Siecin, who came to the area from Mazovia. Works lasted for 53 years, and the castle was not completed until 1633, by Marcin Krasicki, son of Stanislaw and Voivode of Podolia, who in the meantime had changed his name. Originally, the castle was a fortified stronghold, protecting southern border of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. However, Marcin Krasicki, who was regarded as one of the most important promoter of arts in the country, turned the fortress into a sophisticated residence (palazzo in fortezza), under supervision of Italian architect, Galleazzo Appiani. Also, he dubbed the complex Krasiczyn, after his last name. Later, a village of Krasiczynmarker grew near the castle, also bearing the same name. The Krasiczyn castle was built on the site of an older, wooden complex, called Sliwnica, which had probably been built in the 14th century.

Despite numerous fires and wars across the centuries, the castle’s complex has been essentially unchanged since the early 17th century. Built as a square, with walls representing all four quarters of the globe, at the corners there are four oval-shaped towers: Divine (Boska), Papal (Papieska), Royal (Krolewska), and Noble (Szlachecka). These names reflected the eternal order of the world, with four grades of authority.The rectangular, spacious court is surrounded to the east and north by living quarters, and to the south and west by walls, adorned with attics. In the middle of the western wall, there is a square-shaped tower of the clock (Zegarowa), added by Marcin Krasicki at the beginning of the XVII century. This tower serves as a main gate, with a wall bridge over the moat. Across the centuries, the castle attracted most famous personalities of Polish history. Among visitors, there were kings Sigismund III Vasa, Wladyslaw IV Vasa, John II Casimir Vasa, and Augustus II the Strong. Sigismund III Vasa, of whom Marcin Krasicki was a loyal supported, visited the castle thrice. For the first time, in 1608, together with wife Constance of Austria.

Architecture of the castle

One of most precious elements of the complex is a chapel, located in the Divine Tower, which has been compared to the Sigismund's Chapelmarker in Krakowmarker’s Wawel Cathedralmarker. Among other interesting things, there are richly sculpted portals, loggias, arcades, and unique wall decorations, sgraffito, whose total area is about 7000 square meters. All works were overseen by Italian architects, and the details were completed by craftsmen from nearby Przemysl. The sgraffito depicted Roman emperors, Polish kings, members of the Krasicki family, hunting scenes, and saints of the Roman-Catholic Church. Unfortunately, most of the interior design has been destroyed, mostly by the Red Army soldiers, who were stationed there from October 1939 to June 1941 (see: Polish September Campaign, Operation Barbarossa).

Near the castle, there is a Swiss Pavilion, connected with Krasiczyn by a secret passage. Also, in the adjacent park, one will find a Hunter’s Pavilion, a villa in a hunter’s style. The park itself is abundant with birds and plants.

Owners of the castle

After Krasicki family had died out in late XVII century, the complex was inherited by Urszula Modrzewska. Then it belonged to several other families: Wojakowscy, Tarlowie (since 1724), Potoccy (since 1751), Pininscy (since 1785). Finally, in 1835, the castle was purchased by prince Leon Sapieha, and his family owned the complex until 1944 (with the exception of the 1939 - 1941 Soviet occupation), when Communist government of Poland nationalized it. The Sapiehas invested a lot of money in the castle. They remodelled it, with help of architect Engerth from Viennamarker, founded a sawmill, a brewery, and a small factory of farmers’ appliances. They actively promoted economic development of the whole area. On May 3, 1852, a great fire destroyed almost whole complex, except for the chapel, and it took several years to repair the damages. In 1867, one of the most important personalities of Polish Catholic Church, Cardinal Adam Stefan Sapieha was born here.

In late 1941, after German invasion of Soviet Union, Andrzej Sapieha returned to the castle, which had been used as barracks for soldiers of the Red Army (see Molotov Line). This is his description: “On the floors there is garbage, old clothes, destroyed books. Walls full of Soviet propaganda posters, no furniture, instead of it, wooden beds everywhere. The chapel is completely ruined, all sculptures on the walls destroyed as high as the savages could have reached. Altars and pews destroyed. All three monuments have disappeared. The church in a terrible state, as it had been used as stables and a butcher shop. Metal coffins were used by the Bolsheviks as bathtubs”

Currently

After World War Two, the Communist government nationalized the complex and set up a high school of forestry in the buildings. In the 1970s, the castle was owned by the automobile manufacturer from Warsawmarker. After collapse of the Communist system, the castle found a new owner, Warsaw’s Industrial Development Agency (Agencja Rozwoju Przemyslu S.A.), which has carried out extensive renovation of the complex. As a result, in 2000, Krasiczyn was added to the association of hotels and restaurants located in historic buildings (European Castle Hotels & Restaurants).

The complex can be toured, only with a guide. Starting hours: 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00.

References

Hunting scene on outer wall of the Krasicki Palace, photographed on June 21, 2007, by Kees Couprie.


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message