The Full Wiki

More info on LB&SCR E1 class

LB&SCR E1 class: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway E1 Class were 0-6-0T steam locomotives designed by William Stroudley in 1874 for short-distance goods and piloting duties. They were originally classified E, and generally known as "E-tanks"; They were reclassified E1 in the time of D. E. Marsh.

Construction and use

The first six locomotives of this useful and long-lived class were built at Brighton and appeared in traffic between September 1874 and March 1875. They performed well and further orders were placed at regular intervals until December 1891 when the class consisted of eighty locomotives and were used throughout the LBSCR system, principally for goods and shunting, but occasionally for secondary passenger duties.

In 1884 Stroudley also built one example of the class (No. 157 Barcelona) with a larger boiler and Gladstone-type cylinders with valves underneath to work on the steeply-graded lines between Eastbournemarker and Tunbridge Wellsmarker. This Special E-tank was withdrawn in 1922.

Rebuilds and withdrawals

After 1894/5 the class gradually began to be replaced by R.J. Billinton's radial tanks of the E3 and E4 classes. Withdrawals commenced in 1908 when one locomotive was broken up for spares, and others were withdrawn at intervals until May 1914. However the increased need for locomotives during the First World War meant that there were no further withdrawals. One locomotive (no.89) was rebuilt with a larger boiler by D. E. Marsh in 1911 and reclassified E1X and renumbered 89A. However this was rebuilt as an E1 in 1930 once the boiler was condemned.

Under Southern Railway ownership, withdrawals continued during the 1920s, with some examples sold to industrial railways rather than scrapped. Eight examples were also rebuilt as 0-6-2 radial tank engines for use in the west of England. These were classified as E1/R.

Four E1s were also transferred for duties on the Isle of Wightmarker in 1932 and 1933 and renumbered W1-W4.

Thirty examples survived the transfer of ownership to the Southern Region of British Railways in 1948 but during the 1950s they were gradually replaced by diesel shunters. The last survivor, BR no 32694, was allocated to Southampton Docksmarker. It was withdrawn in July 1961 and scrapped at Eastleigh Worksmarker later that year.

One example, No. 110 Cannock Wood (also known as Burgundy) was sold in 1927 to the Cannockmarker and Rugeleymarker Colliery Company and worked until 1961. It is now preserved at the East Somerset Railway and is currently in pieces awaiting overhaul.

Sources

  • Bradley, D.L.(1972). Locomotives of the LB&SCR. Part 2. Railway Correspondence and Travel Society.
  • Wisbech Adviser, Thomas E1 model for Awdry, http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/thomas.htm

References

  1. Haresnape Brian, "Stroudley Locomotives" Ian Allan, London 1885, Pages 111, 112


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message