LaRue is a village in Marion
County, Ohio, United States.
The population was 775 at the 2000 census
LaRue is located at (40.577262, -83.382396) .
According to the United
States Census Bureau
, the village has a total area of
0.5 square miles (1.2 km²), all of it land.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 775
people, 308 households, and 207 families residing in the village.
The population density
1,608.5 people per square mile (623.4/km²). There were 330 housing
units at an average density of 684.9/sq mi (265.4/km²). The
racial makeup of the village was 99.23% White
, 0.13% Native American
, and 0.65%
from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 0.13% of the
There were 308 households out of which 31.8% had children under the
age of 18 living with them, 54.9% were married
living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no
husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 27.6% of all
households were made up of individuals and 15.6% had someone living
alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size
was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.8% under the
age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45
to 64, and 18.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age
was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 97.2 males. For
every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $34,375, and
the median income for a family was $44,808. Males had a median
income of $27,250 versus $25,238 for females. The per capita income
for the village was
$15,873. About 4.4% of families and 7.8% of the population were
below the poverty line
, including 9.5%
of those under age 18 and 3.0% of those age 65 or over.
LaRue is named after French immigrant Major William La Rue. He and
his wife, Cynthia, purchased a plot of land of approximately on the
east bank of the Scioto River in the 1840s. Soon after, La Rue
began selling plots and the village was mapped. LaRue was
incorporated as a village in 1851.
LaRue has the distinction of being the smallest town to ever have
franchise. In the early 1920s LaRue was
home to famous athlete Jim Thorpe
coached and played for the Oorang
football team in 1922-1923.
LaRue's historic 19th century business district, located on High
Street, is still active and boasts a grocery store, library, bank,
barber shop, pizzeria, and bar.
A festival called the "Oorang Bang" in honor of the Oorang Indians,
Thorpe, and Oorang Airedales was held on the second weekend of
June, featuring a parade, food, rides, and live music, but no
longer occurs. The festival was first organized by local resident
Harry Roberts (1924-2003) to fund improvements to the then derelict
municipal swimming pool and park, located one mile (1.6 km)
north of the village.