Liberty Bay is a narrow
inlet extending about 4 miles in a northerly direction from the
northwest part of Port
Orchard, adjacent to the Kitsap Peninsula in western Washington, USA.
The southeastern half of Liberty Bay is very narrow. The shores are
low and wooded, and the shoreline is sand and gravel. There are
at the head of the bay and in
the small bight
on the south side
of the bay. Mud is the predominant bottom characteristic. Tidal
velocities exceed 1 knot at times.
Washington lies at the north end of the bay.
Its official name is Dogfish Bay
, due to a high population
. According to the Kitsap
Peninsula Visitor and Convention Bureau's Web site: "Despite pleas
of Poulsbo residents, the Washington State Legislature
in 1893 and 1899, refused to change the official title of
to Liberty Bay. The present name was adopted
through general usage. The original name was a location tie-in to
the bayshore plant Harry Drescott operated in the 1860s. It used
dogfish oil to grease the logs that made up lumber camp skid