The Full Wiki

More info on Lilleshall

Lilleshall: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Lilleshall is a village in Shropshiremarker, England.

It lies between the towns of Telfordmarker and Newportmarker, on the A518, in the Telford and Wrekin borough and the Wrekinmarker constituency.

The village dates back to Anglo-Saxon times, the parish church being founded by St Chad. It is mentioned in the Domesday book.

An Augustinian Abbey was founded in the twelfth century, the ruins of which are protected by English Heritage. After the dissolution of the monasteries the estate was bought by a merchant called Leveson. The family became lords of Stafford and later Dukes of Sutherland (as the Leveson-Gower family).

There is a monument, a cricket club, a tennis club, a church and a primary school clustered around a bracken-covered hill named Lilleshall Hill. Lilleshall Monument is a high local landmark which stands on top of Lilleshall Hill and was erected in honour of the Duke of Sutherland.

Lilleshall is surrounded by farmland. The village and surrounds were the site of a lot of early industrial development in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with relatively shallow deposits of coal and limestone being mined. The history of the mining of limestone is reflected in the naming of a road called 'Limekiln Lane' in Lilleshall. The former limestone mines are tucked away in treeland at the Newport end of the village, locally known as "the Slang", which is effectively several pits now filled with water, popular with local fishermen and unpopular with local parents of young children - the water is deep and the former minepits area quite dark, abandoned and dangerous.

At a similar time to the mining of limestone an early example of the English canal network was dug, the Donnington Wood Canal and its Lilleshall branch which were connected by an inclined plane, reflected in the naming of a road named The Incline in Lilleshall.

The Dukes of Sutherland became one of the richest families in the United Kingdom partly as a result of this industrial development and in the late nineteenth century built a new residence, Lilleshall Hallmarker which lies at the heart of the estate a mile from the village.

The Sutherland estate was sold off between 1915 and 1917 and the hall eventually passed into state ownership as a sporting facility. It is now the Lilleshall Hall National Sports Centre, once the site of the Football Association youth academy, and now the home of British gymnastics and archery. Lilleshall Hall Golf Club is also in the grounds of Lilleshall Hall.

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message