The Full Wiki

More info on Limington, Maine

Limington, Maine: Map

  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Limington is a town in York Countymarker, Mainemarker, United Statesmarker. The population was 3,403 at the 2000 census. Limington is a tourist destination with historic architecture. It is part of the PortlandmarkerSouth PortlandmarkerBiddefordmarker, Maine Metropolitan Statistical Area.

History

In 1668, Francis Small traded goods with the Newichewannock tribe of this area. Their Chief Wesumbe, also known as Captain Sunday, was friendly with Small and warned him of a plot against his life. A group of renegade tribesmen planned to murder Small rather than pay him the furs they owed him. Small escaped after watching his trading post in what is now Cornishmarker burn to the ground. The chief made up for the loss by selling Small all the lands bounded by the Greatmarker and Little Ossipee Rivers, the Saco Rivermarker and the New Hampshiremarker border. Known as the Ossipee Tract, it comprised the present-day towns of Limington, Limerickmarker, Cornish (formerly Francisborough), Newfieldmarker, Parsonsfieldmarker and Shapleighmarker (which then included Actonmarker).

First called Little Ossipee Plantation (after Ossapee, its original Abenaki name), it was settled by Deacon Amos Chase, who removed here and built a mill in 1773 at the mouth of the Little Ossipee River. Ezra Davis and Jonathan Boothby followed him in 1774, and John McArthur and Joshua Small in 1775. Little Ossipee Plantation was incorporated on February 9, 1792 as the town of Limington. It was named after Limingtonmarker in Somersetmarker, Englandmarker, the home county of Sir Ferdinando Gorges, Lord Proprietor of Maine. As the surface of the land was rocky and broken, in 1798 nearly 2,000 acres (8 km²) of land were annexed from Little Falls Plantation (Hollismarker). In 1870, about 1,500 acres (6 km²) of land were ceded to Limerick.

Soil was fertile and farmers yielded good crops. Another important early trade was logging, with the timber manufactured at various water power mills into lumber, boxes, shingles and clapboards. There were also gristmills and a tannery. Limington Academy was incorporated in 1848, its structure built in 1852. The population in 1870 was 1,630. Davis Memorial Library was built in 1912 to the designs of noted Portlandmarker architect John Calvin Stevens. Today, 22 buildings in the town center are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Notable residents



Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 43.3 square miles (112.1 km²), of which, 42.0 square miles (108.8 km²) of it is land and 1.3 square miles (3.4 km²) of it (3.00%) is water. Limington is drained by the Little Ossipee River and Saco Rivermarker. There are 7 ponds, with 4 of these—Boyd, Dole, Foss and Sand ponds—in South Limington, and 3 others—Horn, Ward and Webster ponds—in North Limington. The highest point in town is Sawyer Mountain, elevation above sea level.

Limington is crossed by state routes 11, 25 and 117. It borders the towns of Baldwinmarker to the north, Standishmarker to the east, Hollismarker and Waterboromarker to the south, and Limerickmarker and Cornishmarker to the west. Located in the very northeastern part of York Countymarker, Limington is slightly over nine miles (14 km) long and an average of five miles (8 km) wide.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 3,403 people, 1,141 households, and 893 families residing in the town. The population density was 81.1 people per square mile (31.3/km²). There were 1,354 housing units at an average density of 32.2/sq mi (12.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.33% White, 0.41% African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 0.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.29% of the population.

There were 1,141 households out of which 41.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.1% were married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.7% were non-families. 15.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.84 and the average family size was 3.15.

In the town the population was spread out with 27.4% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 23.3% from 45 to 64, and 11.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 96.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.4 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $42,023, and the median income for a family was $46,571. Males had a median income of $31,049 versus $23,966 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,097. About 9.5% of families and 12.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.0% of those under age 18 and 5.9% of those age 65 or over.

References



Further reading



External links




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message