The Full Wiki

Lindsey: Map

  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Lindsey was a unit of local government until 1974 in Lincolnshiremarker, Englandmarker, covering the northern part of the county. The Isle of Axholmemarker, which is on the west side of the River Trent, has normally formed part of it. It originated with the Kingdom of Lindsey in Anglo-Saxon times, whose territories were merged with that of Stamfordmarker to form Lincolnshire.

Local government

When the English shires were established, it became part of Lincolnshire. It and each of Kesteven and Holland, acquired the formal designation of Parts. Thus it became the 'Parts of Lindsey'.

Lindsey was itself divided into three riding, the North, West and South Ridings, and then into wapentakes. The West Ridingmarker covered the western part, including Gainsboroughmarker, Scunthorpemarker and Spitalmarker. The North Ridingmarker covered the north-east, including Barton upon Humbermarker, Caistormarker, Cleethorpesmarker, Briggmarker, Grimsbymarker, and Market Rasenmarker. The South Ridingmarker covered the rest, in the south-east, including Louthmarker, Mablethorpemarker and Skegnessmarker. The point at which the Ridings touched was somewhere near Lissington. [58009]Lindsey, like the other parts of Lincolnshire had long had a separate county administration (Quarter Sessions). In 1889, this division was followed in the establishment of the administrative county of Lincolnshire, Parts of Lindsey, which had an elected county council. Lincolnmarker and Grimsbymarker were independent county boroughs.

Within the rest of Lindsey there were various urban districts and rural districts, established by the Local Government Act 1894. The rural districts were Caistormarker, Gainsboroughmarker, Glanford Briggmarker, Grimsbymarker, Horncastlemarker, Isle of Axholmemarker, Louthmarker, Spilsbymarker, Weltonmarker. A rural district of Sibseymarker also existed until 1936, when it was merged into Spilsby.

The Humberside phase

The Parts of Lindsey were abolished on 1 April 1974 as a result of the Local Government Act 1972. The area of the administrative county was divided between two new non-metropolitan counties: the northern area of Lindsey was placed in Humberside while the remainder passed to Lincolnshire.

The original Lindsey was divided between six non-metropolitan districts, as follows

District Area
East Lindseymarker (Lincolnshire) Rural districts of Horncastlemarker, Louthmarker and Spilsbymarker;
Urban districts of Louth, Alford, Horncastle, Mablethorpe and Sutton, Skegness and Woodhall Spa.
West Lindseymarker (Lincolnshire) Rural districts of Caistormarker, Gainsboroughmarker, Weltonmarker;
Urban districts of Gainsborough and Market Rasen
Cleethorpesmarker (Humberside) Rural district of Grimsbymarker; Municipal Borough of Cleethorpes
Glanfordmarker (Humberside) Rural district of Glanford Briggmarker; Urban districts of Barton and Brigg
Scunthorpemarker (Humberside) Municipal Borough of Scunthorpe
Boothferrymarker (Humberside) Isle of Axholme Rural Districtmarker; along with areas from the East and west Ridings of Yorkshiremarker
The map to the right, shows the districts of the now-defunct Humberside. The highlighted one is Glanford. To its east is Cleethorpes which surrounds Grimsby. To Glanford's west is Boothferry and the enclave within Glanford is Scunthorpe.

Present authorities

In 1996 these Humberside districts were re-grouped into unitary authorities. In other words, the new units perform the duties of both county and administrative district.

The two unitary authorities represent the most urbanised part of traditional Lincolnshire.

References

Further reading




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message