The Full Wiki

More info on List of places of worship in Brighton and Hove

List of places of worship in Brighton and Hove: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The city of Brighton and Hovemarker, on the south coast of England, has more than 100 extant churches and other places of worship, which serve a variety of Christian denominations and other religions. More than 20 former religious buildings, although still in existence, are no longer used for their original purpose.

The history of the area now covered by Brighton and Hove spans nearly 1000 years, although the city has only existed in its present form since 2000. The small settlement of Bristelmestune, mentioned in the Domesday Book, developed into a locally important fishing village, and was saved from its 18th-century decline by the patronage of the Prince Regent and British high society. Hove, to the west, had modest origins; rapid growth in the 19th century caused it to merge with Brighton, although it has always tried to maintain its separate identity. During the 20th century, both boroughs expanded by absorbing surrounding villages such as Patchammarker, Hangletonmarker, West Blatchingtonmarker and Ovingdeanmarker, each of which had an ancient church at their centre. New housing estates such as Mile Oakmarker, Moulsecoombmarker and Saltdeanmarker were built on land acquired by the boroughs.

Apart from the ancient parish churches of Brighton (St Nicholas'marker) and Hove (St Andrew'smarker), and those of the nearby villages that are now part of the city, few places of worship existed until the 19th century. During that century, however—and especially in the Victorian era—England experienced a surge in church-building, which left its mark on both Brighton and Hove. Reverend Henry Wagner (Vicar of Brighton between 1824 and 1870) and his son Reverend Arthur Wagner founded and funded a succession of Anglican churches for the benefit of Brighton's rapidly growing population, while enduring controversy and conflict over their political and religious ideals; many churches were founded in Hove; and Roman Catholic, Baptist, Unitarian, Jewish and other places of worship became established for the first time. Although overcapacity and increasing maintenance costs have led to some closures, new churches continued to be established throughout the 20th century on the new housing estates.

Religious affiliation in Brighton and Hove

As of the 2001 United Kingdom Census, 247,817 people lived in Brighton and Hove. Of these, 59.1% were Christian, 1.47% were Muslim, 1.36% were Jewish, 0.7% were Buddhist, 0.52% were Hindu, 0.1% were Sikh, 0.85% were affiliated with another religion, 27.02% followed no religion and 8.88% did not state their religion. Some of these proportions are significantly different from those of England as a whole. Judaism and Buddhism have a much greater following: 0.52% of people in England are Jewish and 0.28% are Buddhist. Christianity is much less widespread in the city than in the country overall, in which 71.74% people identify themselves as Christian. The proportion of people with no religious affiliation is nearly twice as high as that of England as a whole (14.59%).

Administration

All Anglican churches in the city are administered by the Diocese of Chichestermarker, and (at the level below this) by the Archdeaconry of Chichester, one of three archdeaconries in the diocese. The Rural Deanery of Brighton is one of five deaneries under the archdeaconry. It covers 28 extant churches and 9 that are no longer used for worship. One of its churches, St Laurence at Falmermarker, is in the neighbouring district of Lewesmarker. The Rural Deanery of Hove, also part of the Archdeaconry of Chichester, has 28 churches, of which five are closed; eight are in the Adur district of West Sussexmarker, as the deanery covers Kingston Bucimarker, Southwickmarker and Shoreham-by-Seamarker as well as Hove and Portslade.

The 11 Roman Catholic churches in the city are in Brighton and Hove Deanery, one of thirteen deaneries in the Diocese of Arundel and Brightonmarker. The deanery has 13 churches, but those in Peacehavenmarker and Southwickmarker are outside the city boundaries, in Lewes District and Adur District respectively. The parish of Southwick's church, St Theresa of Lisieux, has covered the Portslade area of Brighton and Hove since 1992, when the Church of Our Lady Star of the Sea and St Denis in Portslade was declared redundant and demolished after 80 years.

Of the ten Baptist churches in Brighton and Hove, six are part of the Mid Sussex Network of the South Eastern Baptist Association, one of nine divisions of the Baptist Union of Great Britain: the Holland Roadmarker and West Hove Community churches in Hove, the Florence Road and Gloucester Place churches in Brighton, the Oasis Christian Fellowship Church in Hangleton and the church in Portslade. Also in this network is a Baptist community in Woodingdean that does not have its own premises and worships in a school.

In 1972, the Congregational Church and the Presbyterian Church of England merged to form the United Reformed Church. All United Reformed churches in the city are part of the Southern Synod, one of 13 synods within the Church. The city's six Methodist churches are in the Brighton and Hove Methodist Circuit.

Buildings with listed status

In England, a building or structure is defined as "listed" when it is placed on a statutory register of buildings of "special architectural or historic interest" by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, a Government department, in accordance with the Planning Act 1990. English Heritage, a non-departmental public body, acts as an agency of this department to administer the process. There are three grades of listing status. Grade I, the highest, is defined as being of "exceptional interest"; Grade II* is used for "particularly important buildings of more than special interest"; and Grade II, the lowest, is used for "nationally important" buildings of "special interest".

As of February 2001, there were 24 Grade I-listed buildings, 70 Grade II*-listed buildings and 1,124 Grade II-listed buildings in Brighton and Hove. Five of the Grade I-listed buildings are churches; all are Anglican. There are 18 Grade II*-listed places of worship: 15 Anglican churches, two Roman Catholic churches and a synagogue. Twenty-six current and former places of worship have Grade II status.

Open churches and places of worship

Name Image Location Denomination Grade Notes
All Saints Churchmarker Hovemarker

Anglican The church, on one of Hove's main crossroads, was built by John Loughborough Pearson between 1889 and 1891 and became the parish church in 1892. It was extended in 1901 and 1924, although a proposed tower was never completed. The exterior is mainly Sussex sandstone; stone and oak predominate inside.
St Bartholomew's Churchmarker New England Quartermarker

Anglican Arthur Wagner established a temporary church near Brighton railway stationmarker in 1868, but planned to build a much larger church to serve the same area. In 1873 he designed a building long, wide and high. This is taller than Westminster Abbeymarker, and the nave is the highest of any parish church in Britain.
St Michael and All Angels Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican This supplemented the nearby St Stephen's Churchmarker following the rapid development of the Montpelier and Clifton Hill areas west of Brighton railway stationmarker in the early 19th century. Originally a chapel of ease from St Nicholas Church, it was given its own parish in the early 20th century. The large Italianate building is sometimes known as "The Cathedral of the Back Streets".
St Wulfran's Churchmarker Ovingdeanmarker

Anglican Ovingdeanmarker, an agricultural village north of Rottingdean, joined the Borough of Brighton in 1928. Its centrepiece is the 12th-century church, built of flint with a tower and "Sussex Cap" spire. It may have been damaged by the same French raiders who desecrated St Margaret's Churchmarker. Only one other church in England is dedicated to St Wulfran, a French archbishop.
All Saints Churchmarker Patchammarker

Anglican Patcham became part of the former Borough of Brighton in 1928; it was previously a separate village. A church was known to exist at the time of the Domesday Book, and the nave and parts of the chancel of the present building date from the 12th century. It was extensively restored in the 19th century.
Chapel Royalmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican Brighton's second Anglican church was built to encourage the Prince Regent to attend church more often when he was staying in the town. He laid the foundation stone in 1793 and attended the first service in 1795, but later took offence at a sermon and stopped worshipping at the chapel. It was parished between 1896 and the mid-20th century.
St Andrew's Churchmarker Hovemarker

Anglican The original parish church of Hove (and later Hove-cum-Preston, a combined parish that existed from 1531 to 1878) was of 12th-century origin, but fell into disrepair and was rebuilt by George Basevi in neo-Norman style in the 1830s after the population of Hove started to grow.
St Barnabas Churchmarker Hovemarker

Anglican The Vicar of Hove asked John Loughborough Pearson to build a church near Hove railway stationmarker in response to rapid residential development in the late 19th century. St Barnabas opened in 1883. The knapped flint and red-brick Early English style church is topped by a tall, narrow flèche.
St Helen's Churchmarker Hangletonmarker

Anglican Hangletonmarker became part of the former Borough of Hove in 1928. Originally a Norman church, it remained almost untouched in a high, isolated position on the South Downsmarker above Hove until restoration in the 1870s. Despite other alterations, especially since Hangleton developed as a 1950s housing estate, the church retains much of its medieval character.
St Margaret's Churchmarker Rottingdeanmarker

Anglican The ancient parish church of Rottingdean was absorbed into Brighton in 1928. The Normans rebuilt a Saxon church in the 13th century, and much of this structure survives—despite damage caused by a French raid in 1377. The cruciform, flint-built church has a large churchyard. Rudyard Kipling, his uncle Sir Edward Burne-Jones and Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin all had links with the church.
St Martin's Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican Arthur Wagner built this church in 1875 using £3,000 set aside by his father for that purpose. A building committee, set up by Henry Wagner before his death, allowed Arthur Wagner and his half-brothers to choose the site themselves.
St Mary the Virgin Churchmarker Kemptownmarker

Anglican This large, red-brick Victorian church, described as having "one of the best church interiors in Sussex", was built between 1877 and 1879. It replaced a Neoclassical building in the style of a Greek temple that collapsed in 1876, 50 years after it was founded on land donated by the Earl of Egremont.
St Nicholas Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican Brighton's only Anglican church until the end of the 18th century was also its parish church until 1873. A church existed in the 11th century in the fishing village of Bristelmstune—probably on this site. The tower and some interior structures are 14th-century, but some Norman-era parts remain. The church survived a French raid in 1514. Richard Cromwell Carpenter rebuilt it in 1853 as a memorial to the Duke of Wellington.
St Nicolas Churchmarker Portslademarker

Anglican Portslademarker developed inland around a north–south Roman road. The parish church has 12th-century origins. Victorian restoration erased some 15th-century wall paintings, and an elaborate memorial chapel for a wealthy local family was added in 1874.
St Paul's Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican This is the oldest of six churches built on the instruction of Henry Wagner in which Anglican worship still takes place. Three earlier churches have been demolished or sold. Opened in 1849 just before Wagner's son Arthur was ordained, it was intended as Arthur's own church, at which he could start his ecclesiastical career. He stayed for 52 years until his death in 1902.
St Peter's Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican Brighton's parish church (since 1873) was designed by Charles Barry in the Gothic Revival style and built between 1824 and 1828 at a prominent location described at the time as "the entrance to the town". The Portland stone and Sussex sandstone building is costly to maintain, and has been proposed for redundancy by the Diocese of Chichestermarker. In May 2009, Holy Trinity Brompton Churchmarker in London agreed to take it over.
St Peter's Churchmarker West Blatchingtonmarker

Anglican West Blatchingtonmarker, a village on the South Downs east of Hangleton, was absorbed into the erstwhile Borough of Hove in 1928. Its medieval parish church fell into disrepair by the 17th century but was restored in the 1890s and extended in the 1960s following substantial population growth in the area.
Bishop Hannington Memorial Churchmarker West Blatchingtonmarker

Anglican This yellow brick church was built between 1938 and 1939 by Edward Maufe, the architect of Guildford Cathedralmarker. The name commemorates James Hannington, first bishop of East Equatorial Africa, who was murdered in Uganda in 1885. Nikolaus Pevsner described the church as "Historicism at its most simplified".
Church of the Annunciationmarker Hanovermarker

Anglican This "Wagner church" was built in 1864 to serve the Hanovermarker district, which at the time was a poor, densely populated area with no church. It became so popular that it had to be extended in 1881 (with difficulty on the narrow site surrounded by houses). Both the original construction costs and the rebuilding were financed entirely by Arthur Wagner.
Church of the Good Shepherdmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican Edward Warren used variegated bricks and a simple Gothic style for this church, which was built between 1921 and 1922 on Dyke Road. It was built as a memorial to a former Vicar of the parish of Preston.
St George's Churchmarker Kemptownmarker

Anglican Thomas Read Kemp laid out the Kemp Townmarker estate on the cliffs east of Brighton in the 1820s. In 1824 he enlisted Charles Busby to build a church; construction cost £11,000 and took two years. Its parish, established in 1879, was extended twice in the 1980s after the nearby St Anne's and St Mark's Churches were closed.
St John the Baptist's Churchmarker Hovemarker

Anglican This church was built in 1854 on a prominent site on one corner of Palmeira Square in Hove, to serve Brunswickmarker—an exclusive residential area developed from the 1820s. It provided extra capacity to relieve the nearby St Andrew's Churches on Church Road and Waterloo Street.
St John the Evangelist's Churchmarker Preston Villagemarker

Anglican This very long, stone-built church with a narrow flèche and lancet windows was designed by Arthur Blomfield in 1902 and built by the Crawleymarker-based James Longley & Company. The stone building, faced with rock, has a chancel (added in 1926), 5¼-bay nave with aisles, vestry and carved stone reredos. It has been the parish church of Preston Village since 1908.
St Leonard's Churchmarker Aldringtonmarker

Anglican St Leonard's is the parish church of Aldringtonmarker—a medieval village that became depopulated by 1800. Hove's rapid growth during the 19th century reinvigorated the area, and Richard Carpenter rebuilt the ruined church in the medieval style in 1878. The parish joined the district of Hove in 1893.
St Luke's Churchmarker Queen's Parkmarker

Anglican St Luke's was provided to serve the housing development around Queen's Park, which had been laid out in 1824. The church was designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield between 1881 and 1885 in the Early English revival style in flint with stone dressings.
St Patrick's Churchmarker Hovemarker

Anglican Just on the Hove side of the border with Brighton, St Patrick's opened in 1858 and was originally dedicated to St James. Its parish was amalgamated with that of St Andrew's on Waterloo Street before the latter was closed in 1990. Most of the interior has been redeveloped as a night shelter and social centre for homeless and vulnerable people.
St Philip's Churchmarker Hovemarker

Anglican John Oldrid Scott built this church as a chapel of ease to St Leonard's Churchmarker in 1895. The Decorated Gothic church has multicoloured stone and brickwork, and now has its own parish.
Stanmer Churchmarker Stanmermarker

Anglican The former Brighton Corporation bought the Stanmer Estate from the Earls of Chichester after the Second World War. The third Earl rebuilt a 13th-century church in 1838. It stands in the extensive Stanmer Parkmarker, Brighton and Hove's largest area of parkland.
Church of the Ascension Westdenemarker

Anglican Designed by architect John Wells-Thorpe and built on a sloping site, this brick church opened in 1958 in the middle of Westdene, an estate of mostly 1950s houses. It is part of the parish of All Saints Church, Patcham.
Church of the Good Shepherd Mile Oakmarker

Anglican Architects Clayton, Black and Daviel designed the church, which was finished in 1967 and replaced a 1936 tin building. It was linked to St Nicolas Church in Portslade until it was assigned its own parish in 1994. The distinctive angled roof has six tall windows.
Church of the Holy Nativity Bevendeanmarker

Anglican Between 1953 and 1963, an old barn served as the Bevendean estate's chapel, until architect Reginald Melhuish built a new church in a distinctive Modern style. Consisting of brick and knapped flint, its roof slopes down and sweeps up again to a sharp point.
Holy Cross Church Aldringtonmarker

Anglican Now part of the Bishop Hannington Memorial Church's parish, this church was originally a mission hall linked to St Philip's Church, and had its own parish for a period from 1932. It opened in 1903 and follows the Conservative Evangelical tradition.
Holy Cross Church Woodingdeanmarker

Anglican The green-roofed brick building, completed in 1968, occupies the site of a temporary church dating from 1941.
St Andrew's Church Moulsecoombmarker

Anglican The Moulsecoomb estate developed in the 1920s and 1930s, and this church was provided at the south end in 1934 to replace a temporary building. The roof resembles an upside-down fishing vessel: Saint Andrew was a fisherman.
St Andrew's Church Portslade-by-Seamarker

Anglican Portslade-by-Sea developed south of the old village in the 19th century. St Andrew's Church, built between 1863 and 1864 by Edmund Scott and extended in 1889, is now united with the parish of St Nicolas, but it originally had its own parish.
St Cuthman's Church Whitehawkmarker

Anglican The first St Cuthman's Church on the Whitehawk estate was only six years old when it was destroyed by a Second World War bomb in 1943. Its replacement was built between 1951 and 1952.
St Luke's Church Seven Dialsmarker

Anglican This red-brick church, with a short clock tower topped by a spire which forms a local landmark, was built as the parish church of Prestonville, an area of good-quality 1860s housing, by John Hill in 1875. Nairn and Pevsner dismissed it with one word—"poor"—in their 1965 survey of Sussex buildings.
St Mary Magdalene's Church Coldeanmarker

Anglican The 18th-century barn which houses the church is the only remaining pre-20th century building on the Coldean housing estate. The former farm building was converted into a church in 1955.
St Matthias Church Hollingdeanmarker

Anglican The main church in the parish and benefice of St Matthias, which serves a large area of northeast Brighton, St Matthias was built on Ditchling Road in 1907 by Lacy W. Ridge. It is an Early English red-brick church with a circular tower, short spire and hammerbeam roof.
St Nicholas' Church Saltdeanmarker

Anglican Dedicated to Saint Nicholas by Bishop of Chichester Roger Plumpton Wilson in 1965 and consecrated in 1970, Edward Maude's church of greyish stone blocks superseded the Saltdean estate's older temporary church.
St Richard's Church The Knoll

Anglican Andrew Carden designed this grey-brick church for The Knoll housing estate, at the south end of Hangleton and within St Helen'smarker parish, in 1961. It replaced a nearby hall which opened in 1932 and took St Richard's name in 1937.
St Richard of Chichester's Church Hollingdeanmarker

Anglican Part of the parish and benefice of St Matthias, Hollingdean's church was built as a chapel of ease to St Matthias Church in 1954. Local architectural firm Clayton, Black and Daviel were responsible for the small brick building.
St John the Baptist's Churchmarker Kemptownmarker

Roman Catholic The earliest surviving Roman Catholic church in the city was the fourth Catholic church to be consecrated in England since the Reformation, although many had been built since the passing of the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1791 allowed this to happen. St John the Baptist's is a stuccoed building in the Classical style. It contains Maria Fitzherbert's tomb, and was England's first electrically lit Catholic church.
St Joseph's Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Roman Catholic In the 1870s, a widow donated £10,000 of bonds to build a church on Elm Grove in memory of her husband and to replace a mission chapel there. It took 27 years to complete and cost £15,000. William Kedo Broder's design of 1880 was reduced in scope after his death the next year: a planned tower and spire were not built. Other architects made additions in 1885, 1901 and 1906, when the church opened in its present form. The tall, mostly Kentish Ragstone church has Bath Stone dressings and a green slate roof.
Church of the Sacred Heartmarker Hovemarker

Roman Catholic Father George Oldham left money in his will to fund a chapel of ease to his church, St Mary Magdalen'smarker. London-based John Crawley designed the first (eastern) section, but died just before the opening date of 28 September 1881; J.S. Hansom, who took over his architectural practice, extended the church at the western end, and it reopened in 1887. In the early 20th century a Lady chapel and presbytery were added on the north and south sides respectively.
St Mary Magdalen's Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Roman Catholic Brighton's second oldest Roman Catholic church was partly opened in 1861 and completed in 1862. Gilbert Blount designed and built the church, which opened formally on 16 August 1864 after he extended the nave. The 13th-century Early English/Decorated Gothic-style building is mostly red-brick with stone dressings, and adjoins a presbytery and parish hall (originally a school). Services include a weekly Mass in Polish.
St Peter's Churchmarker Aldringtonmarker

Roman Catholic The present church cost £9,000 and replaced the church hall, which had been used for worship, in 1915. Described by English Heritage as "startling" because of its tall campanile and its basilica-style prominence, the red-brick, slate-roofed church was reportedly designed by architects Claude and John Kelly, a father-and-son partnership. There are many marble interior decorations and fittings. The entrance, with a rose window above, is in the western end, next to the campanile.
Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Queen of Peace Rottingdeanmarker

Roman Catholic Built in 1957 by Sussex-born architect Henry Bingham Towner, the church—a modern interpretation of the Sussex style of Gothic architecture, of flint-covered brick with stone dressings—occupies an elevated position on the edge of Rottingdean. A stained glass west window was added in 2000.
St Francis of Assisi Church Moulsecoombmarker

Roman Catholic This church, on Moulsecoomb Way on the Moulsecoomb estate, was used as an Anglican church until 1953, but now serves the Roman Catholic community and is administered from St Joseph's Church.
St George's Church West Blatchingtonmarker

Roman Catholic A hall and the Grenadier Hotel in Hangleton were used for Roman Catholic worship until St George's was built to serve West Blatchington and Hangleton. The 1968 church was originally linked to St Peter's in Aldrington. High-quality interior decoration and stained glass were created by a former priest with art training.
St Mary's Church Preston Parkmarker

Roman Catholic In 1903, the Sisters of Charity and Christian Instruction of Neversmarker established themselves in Withdeanmarker, then within the parish of St Joseph's. They acquired land close to Preston Parkmarker in 1907, and architect Percy Lamb started work on a new church for the area on 9 August 1910. St Mary's Church celebrated its first service in 1912. The building is of Kentish Ragstone and Bath Stone with a slate roof, and is in the Gothic style. A new sanctuary was added in 1978.
St Patrick's Church Woodingdeanmarker

Roman Catholic Designed by John Wells-Thorpe and opened in 1959 as an Anglican church (the Church of the Resurrection), this later became a Roman Catholic church, administered by the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Queen of Peace in Rottingdeanmarker.
St Thomas More Church Patchammarker

Roman Catholic Rapid residential development in Patcham justified the construction of this church in 1963. A proposed bell tower was proscribed because it might dominate the adjacent Anglican Church of Christ the King; but a timber geodesic dome was allowed, and a large steel cross was erected in 1991. The low, square building incorporates brick, concrete and large areas of glass, including some stained glass.
Holland Road Baptist Churchmarker Hovemarker

Baptist In 1887, a group of Christians who met at a gymnasium in Hove received funding to build their own church. The pale Purbeck stone western frontage and buttressed tower can be seen from the street, and there is a hammerbeam roof. The capacity of 700 has been augmented by an early 21st-century church hall.
Ebenezer Reformed Baptist Church Seven Dialsmarker

Baptist The congregation is using the former Providence Chapel (pictured) in the Seven Dialsmarker area until their church in Ivory Place is rebuilt. The church started in an 1825 Neo-Renaissance building which incorporated a school and dormitory for boarding pupils. This was demolished in 1966 and replaced by the brick building which was in turn demolished in 2007.
Florence Road Baptist Church Brightonmarker

Baptist Architect George Baines designed this large, flint-built, Early English revival-style church near London Road railway stationmarker, which was built between 1894 and 1895. Many of the brick-faced lancet windows contain stained glass, and the church has a tower and a tall, narrow spire.
Galeed Strict Baptist Chapel North Lainemarker

Baptist Benjamin Nunn designed this simple Neoclassical chapel in 1868. Its stuccoed south-facing frontage has three evenly-spaced doors and three first-floor windows above them. An inscription below the pediment reads GALEED A.D. 1868. The original plain interior remains.
Gloucester Place Baptist Church Brightonmarker

Baptist George Baines built this chapel in 1904 to replace the Queen Square Baptist Church, which had opened in 1857. The northern tower was cut down after it suffered bomb damage during the Second World War.
Montpelier Place Baptist Church Brightonmarker

Baptist This modern brick building was opened in 1967 on the site of an Episcopal church called the Emmanuel Church. It straddles the Brighton/Hove boundary.
Oasis Christian Fellowship Church Hangletonmarker

Baptist Although described as an evangelical group, the Fellowship is part of the Baptist Union of Great Britain as well as the Evangelical Alliance. Since 1998 it has occupied this steep-roofed church, which opened in 1957 and was associated with the Holland Road Baptist Churchmarker.
Portslade Baptist Church Portslademarker

Baptist The church was built on South Street in 1961 to replace a large Gothic chapel of 1891 on Chapel Place, as a result of population movement between the two areas.
Rutland Gospel Hall Hovemarker

Baptist The Cliftonville Congregational Church donated land for a mission hall, which was planned in 1896 and built in 1900 of red brick and terracotta. Hove's first mayor laid the foundation stone. The hall was sold in the 1930s to fund the building of the Hounsom Memorial Church, but is still in religious use as the West Hove Community Baptist Church.
Stoneham Road Baptist Church Hovemarker

Baptist This church was built of red brick in 1904, but it now has a roughcast exterior. It was extended in 1931. It started as a mission church with assistance from the Holland Road church. A planning application to demolish the building and replace it with housing was withdrawn in 2004.
Hove Methodist Churchmarker Hovemarker

Methodist Designed and built in 1895 by architect John Wills in a Romanesque Revival style in red brick with white stone facings and dressings, this church features a large rose window in the south face. Below this, a porch with twin pointed roofs and multi-coloured glass is a later addition. The interior fittings still reflect their 19th-century origins. A wooden gallery runs below the hammerbeam roof.
Dorset Gardens Methodist Churchmarker Kemptownmarker

Methodist The 2003 building is the third Methodist church to stand on this site. Its forerunners were Brighton's first Methodist church, built in 1808, and a completely rebuilt successor from 1884. The latter was extended in 1929, greatly increasing its capacity, and had an Italianate tower. The new brick, concrete and red tile church cost £1.6 million.
Hollingbury Methodist Church Hollingburymarker

Methodist This small brick building opened in September 1952. It has an emphasis on youth work.
Patcham Methodist Church Patchammarker

Methodist A 16th-century barn built of wood (supposedly from a shipwrecked Spanish Armada vessel) and flint was used as a church between 1935 and 1968, when the present church was built on its site. Its modern design offers flexibility for various uses.
Stanford Avenue Methodist Church Preston Parkmarker

Methodist E.J. Hamilton, also responsible for a former Methodist church in Hove and the original Salvation Army citadel in Brighton, built this church in the Early English revival style between 1897 and 1898. The red-brick, stone-faced building has lancet windows and a small spire.
Woodingdean Methodist Church Woodingdeanmarker

Methodist This church was opened on a main road in the Woodingdean estate in 1953. In 1986 it was substantially extended.
Brighthelm Church and Community Centre Brightonmarker

United Reformed Church This was opened in 1987 in the grounds of the Grade II-listed Hanover Chapel, which was built as an independent chapel in 1825, became the Brighton Presbyterian Church in 1847 and merged with the nearby Union Chapel's Congregational community when the latter closed in 1972. The chapel is still part of the new church complex.
Central United Reformed Church Hovemarker

United Reformed Church Cliftonville and St Cuthbert's Churches merged in 1980 to form this church. Cliftonville, in central Hove, was built as a Congregational Church in 1867 by H.N. Goulty. It is a stone building in the Early English revival style. St Cuthbert's was a Presbyterian church of 1911 in the Decorated Gothic style with terracotta dressings. The Central United Reformed Church moved into the Cliftonville church premises; the vacant St Cuthbert's Church was demolished in 1984.
Hounsom Memorial United Reformed Church Hangletonmarker

United Reformed Church Founded in 1938 and opened in 1939 on the Hangleton estate, and financed by the sale of Rutland Gospel Hall, John Denman's 350-capacity building uses bricks and tiles from nearby Ringmermarker and has a tower topped by a figure of Saint Christopher.
Lewes Road United Reformed Church Brightonmarker

United Reformed Church This modern building replaced the former Congregational church further north on Lewes Road—an Italian Gothic-style building designed by A. Harford.
Portslade United Reformed Church Portslademarker

United Reformed Church Portslade's first Congregational church was a tin hall in 1875; services were also held on a barge anchored in nearby Shoreham Harbourmarker. A flint church with red brick dressings was built in 1903, and was superseded by a new brick building with stone facings in 1932. This was built next to the original church, which then became the church hall.
St Martin's United Reformed Church Saltdeanmarker

United Reformed Church The adjacent church hall was used for worship between 1949 and 1957, when Peter Winton-Lewis designed and built St Martin's Church for the Presbyterian community.
Calvary Evangelical Church Brightonmarker

Evangelical This Early English-style Primitive Methodist chapel, built of yellow brick in 1876, later became the Brighton Railway Mission. It now houses an independent Evangelical congregation and, since 2006, the Brighton and Hove City Mission.
Christian Arabic Evangelical Church Portslademarker

Evangelical Situated on Old Shoreham Road, this converted bungalow was the Aldrington Evangelical Free Church from its founding in 1938 until the early 21st century. It has been extended several times.
Church of Christ the King New England Quartermarker

Evangelical This is a Newfrontiers evangelical church based at the Clarendon Centre near Brighton railway stationmarker. The converted electrical warehouse has housed the congregation (founded in 1978 as the Brighton & Hove Christian Fellowship, with assistance from Newfrontiers leader Terry Virgo) since 1991.
Park Hill Evangelical Church Queen's Parkmarker

Evangelical Herbert Buckwell built this church in 1894 as a Presbyterian church, St Andrew's. It became the Park Hill Evangelical Church in 1943.
Southern Cross Evangelical Church Southern Cross

Evangelical The present white-painted brick church of 1907 replaced an iron hut of 1890. The 250-capacity building, in the southwestern part of Portslade, took its present name in 1967.
Brighton & Hove Hebrew Congregation Synagogue Hovemarker

Jewish The Ashkenazi community bought two houses on New Church Road in the 1930s and engaged William Willett to build a synagogue in the grounds in 1955. It was started during Hanukkah in 1958 and consecrated three years later. The former Middle Street Synagogue is also owned by the congregation.
Hove Hebrew Congregation Synagogue Hovemarker

Jewish Chief Rabbi Joseph H. Hertz laid the first stone of this synagogue, built between 1929 and 1930 by M.K. Glass in a style reminiscent of the Jugendstil movement, similar to Art Nouveau. It follows the Ashkenazi tradition.
Hove Progressive Synagogue Hovemarker

Jewish The local Progressive Jewish community was founded in 1935, and worshipped in private houses until it acquired and rebuilt a gymnasium on Lansdowne Road in 1937. This was consecrated in 1938, rebuilt in 1949 and given its current name in 1976. Edward Lewis designed the synagogue in the International style.
Brighton and Hove Reform Synagogue Hovemarker

Jewish Part of the Movement for Reform Judaism, this synagogue was founded in 1967 to serve a rapidly growing community. The 400-capacity building was designed by Derek Sharp and was built on land donated by Lord (Lewis) Cohen of Brighton. A plaque indicates that the foundation stone was laid on 17 July 1966, or in the Hebrew calendar, 29 Tammuz 5726.
Kingdom Hall Aldringtonmarker

Jehovah's Witnesses This is located on Reynolds Road in the Aldrington area of Hovemarker, on the site of a Kingdom Hall built in 1950 and demolished in 1999.
Kingdom Hall Hovemarker

Jehovah's Witnesses This Kingdom Hall is situated on Osmond Road on the border of Brighton and Hove.
Kingdom Hall Woodingdeanmarker

Jehovah's Witnesses This Kingdom Hall, a low, brick-built structure with a tiled roof, is on Warren Road on the Woodingdean estate.
Bevendean Community Church Bevendeanmarker

Salvation Army Since the closure of Army halls in Moulsecoombmarker in the 1950s and Kemptownmarker in the 1960s, the Brighton Bevendean Corps community church has been one of three Salvation Army places of worship in the city.
Brighton Salvation Army Citadel Brightonmarker

Salvation Army E.J. Hamilton's 1883 Congress Hall, in grey brick and terracotta-dressed stone with towers and battlemented parapets, was opened by Catherine Booth, the wife of the Army's founder. Its poor condition led to its demolition in 2000; the 200 members moved to the nearby Preston Barracks until architect David Greenwood's new octagonal citadel was built. The public were encouraged to donate by "buying a brick".
Hove Congress Hall Hovemarker

Salvation Army The Army have been established in Hove since 1882, at a Congress Hall in Conway Street, near Hove station. The building was founded in 1890 and has a large, mostly blank western face fronting Sackville Road.
Al-Madina Mosque Brightonmarker

Muslim The city has no purpose-built mosques, but this converted house in Bedford Place, on the Brighton/Hove border, is one of two former houses that now serve as mosques.
Al-Quds Mosque Brightonmarker

Muslim This mosque is on Dyke Road in Brighton, opposite Brighton Hove & Sussex Sixth Form Collegemarker. A group of Muslims who were visiting Brighton and Hove in the 1970s donated money to fund an Islamic centre and mosque. The community bought a converted house, formerly a nursery.
City Coast Church Portslademarker

Christian Outreach Centre The Christian Outreach Centre movement, founded in Australia in 1974, established its first European church at Newtown Road in Hove in 1993. Within 12 months, 350 people were attending services. In November 1999 the church moved to a modern building in Portslade.
First Church of Christ Scientist Brightonmarker

Christian Scientist Originally a house, the building is contemporary with other mid-19th century buildings on Montpelier Road. In 1921 it was converted into a church, extended to the south and topped with an intricately carved pediment.
Oxford Street Chapel Brightonmarker

Church of Christ This small, stuccoed chapel in the Renaissance style was built in 1890 by architect Parker Anscombe. It has been used by a Church of Christ congregation since the late 1910s.
Mile Oak Gospel Hall Mile Oakmarker

Churches of God The sale of a Primitive Methodist chapel in Portslade in the 1960s funded this new church, which was started in 1966. It is affiliated with the Churches of God movement.
St Mary and St Abraam Churchmarker Hovemarker

Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria One of nine Coptic churches in the British Isles, this is based in the former Anglican church of St Thomas the Apostle, declared redundant in 1993. The Coptic Orthodox Church bought the building, and its leader Pope Shenouda III travelled to Hove for a dedication ceremony on 23 September 1994. The red-brick church, built between 1909 and 1914, is in the Early English style.
Christ the King Patchammarker

Elim Pentecostal The Anglican parish church of South Patcham was built in 1958 and declared redundant in 2006. An Elim congregation who had been displaced from their demolished former church in Balfour Road (built in 1939) now use it.
Church of the Holy Trinitymarker Brightonmarker

Greek Orthodox The church opened in 1840 as St John the Evangelist's, an Anglican church for the impoverished Carlton Hill area. It was bought by the Greek Orthodox community in 1986 after being declared redundant and closed.
Goldstone Valley Gospel Hall West Blatchingtonmarker

Independent Edward Avenue, on which this church stands, was developed in the late 1950s.
Brightwaves Metropolitan Community Church Preston Villagemarker

Metropolitan Community Church J.G. Gibbins designed this church, which was built between 1877 and 1878 as a Congregational church. It became the Clermont United Reformed Church, and is now part of the Metropolitan Community Church—a fellowship of liberal Christian congregations associated with LGBT communities.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Brightonmarker

Mormon The Brighton congregation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints worship at this church on the Lewes Road.
Brighton Friends Meeting House Brightonmarker

Quaker Brighton's Quaker community sold their former meeting house (a converted malthouse), used since 1690, and bought land on Ship Street to build a new one. Completed in 1805 and extended in 1850 and 1876, the mostly red-brick building has been described as having "all the hallmarks of nonconformist architecture".
L'Eglise Française Reforméemarker Brightonmarker

Reformed Church of France The only French Protestant church in Britain outside London is located just off Brighton seafront next to the Metropole Hotel. The small red-brick church was built in 1887 for £1,535 (£ as of ) to serve local and itinerant Francophone worshippers (mostly fishermen from France). Brighton's Francophone community has declined from its early-20th century peak, and in June 2008 it was announced that the church would close and be sold.
Seventh Day Adventist Church Hovemarker

Seventh-day Adventist This tiny brick cottage, with a tile-hung upper floor and gabled roof, was the coach house of an adjacent villa until Hove's Seventh-day Adventist congregation acquired it in the 1930s. Previously they had met above a shop.
Chapel of the Holy Family Hollingdeanmarker

Society of St. Pius X This chapel is one of twenty-four in Britain that belongs to the Society of St. Pius X, a Traditionalist Catholic group which opposes the changes introduced in the Second Vatican Council. Two or three services are held monthly.
Brighton National Spiritualist Church Brightonmarker

Spiritualist This mid-1960s building is a distinctive, curvaceous design by the architectural firm Overton and Partners. It replaced a chapel on nearby Mighell Street, built in 1878, which had been used by Baptists until 1927 and Spiritualists thereafter.
Brighton Unitarian Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Unitarian One of Brighton-based architect Amon Henry Wilds's first commissions, this stuccoed Greek Revival chapel with a gigantic tetrastyle portico was built in 1820 on land sold by the Prince Regent. Brighton's Unitarian community, formed after a split in the Calvinist community in 1791, have worshipped there ever since.


Closed or disused churches and places of worship

Name Image Location Denomination Grade Notes
St Andrew's Church Brunswickmarker

Anglican The Brunswick estate'smarker church was declared redundant on 14 February 1990 because of declining attendances, and is now owned by the Churches Conservation Trust. It was originally a proprietary chapel owned by Rev. Edward Everard, who owned land on the estate's boundary. Construction work, based on Charles Barry's design, started in April 1827. The exterior was the first example in England of the Italianate style, although the interior was less grand.
St Peter's Churchmarker Preston Villagemarker

Anglican Now owned by the Churches Conservation Trust, the ancient parish church of Preston Villagemarker is mostly 13th-century, although it was restored in the 1870s and in 1906 after a serious fire. The flint and stone building, in Early English style, has a chancel, nave, porch, vestry and a shallow-capped tower at the west end.
St Stephen's Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican Originally built as the ballroom of the Castle Inn in 1766 by John Crunden, the building became the Royal Pavilionmarker's chapel in 1821. It was moved to Montpelier Road in 1850 and became St Stephen's Church. The Neoclassical building was converted into a day centre for homeless people in the 1970s.
Holy Trinity Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican Amon Wilds built a Greek Doric-style chapel in 1817 for an independent Christian sect founded by prominent local resident Thomas Read Kemp. It was reconsecrated as an Anglican church in 1829. Rev. Frederick W. Robertson achieved national fame for his radical, unorthodox sermons in the mid-19th century, and the church was popular with Brighton's high society. It was rebuilt in the 1880s in the Gothic Revival style with a tall octagonal tower and flint walls. The church closed in 1984 and is now an art gallery.
Holy Trinity Churchmarker Hovemarker

Anglican The mid-19th century growth of Hove meant that St Andrew's Churchmarker was often full. One of its curates planned a new church nearby, and the site for what became the Holy Trinity Church was bought in 1861. James Woodman designed it in a style which, although broadly Gothic, has been interpreted in many different ways. The church had a rare external pulpit. Declining attendances caused it to close in 2007, and it is threatened with demolition.
St Augustine's Churchmarker Preston Parkmarker

Anglican Started in 1896 by G. Streatfield and extended by him in 1914 with guidance from Thomas Graham Jackson, this Perpendicular-style, red-brick church has a -bay nave, apse, chancel and Lady chapel. The parish absorbed that of St Saviour's Church, which closed in 1981, but St Augustine's itself closed in 2002.
St Mark's Churchmarker Kemptownmarker

Anglican This roughcast church, built between 1838 and 1849 for the Marquess of Bristol, was Kemptown's parish church between 1873 and 1986, when it was declared redundant and given to St Mary's Hall, an adjacent girls' school. It has become the school's chapel and concert hall.
St Wilfrid's Churchmarker Brightonmarker

Anglican Harry Goodhart-Rendel's church, built between 1932 and 1934, replaced an iron building of 1901. Sir John Betjeman considered the architecturally Eclectic brick building "about the best 1930s church there is", but it had to be closed in 1980 when blue asbestos was found. It has been converted into a housing complex.
St Agnes' Church Hovemarker

Anglican This is a red-brick and stone building of 1913, to which a porch and aisle were added in 1930. The Diocese of Chichester declared the church, near Hove railway stationmarker, redundant in 1977, and although proposed for demolition, it was later converted into a gymnasium.
St Alban's Church Brightonmarker

Anglican Lacy W. Ridge built this church between 1910 and 1914 to serve the area east of Lewes Road—an area historically known as East Preston. It became part of the Parish of the Resurrection in 1974, with the churches of St Martinmarker, St Lukemarker and St Wilfrid, and was closed on 22 November 2006.
Bristol Road Methodist Church Kemptownmarker

Methodist Thomas Lainson's Romanesque Revival church of 1873, built on a corner site on Bristol Road with a timber-framed roof and small spire, was closed in 1989 and converted into a recording studio.
Franklin Road Methodist Church Portslademarker

Methodist Portslade's Wesleyan Methodist congregation met in public rooms in the area until they built their own church in 1907. It closed in 1964 and is now in commercial use.
Goldstone Villas Methodist Church Hovemarker

Methodist Hove's Primitive Methodist community was founded in 1876, and had established their own chapel within two years. Membership declined in the 20th century and the last service was held in 1933. The Renaissance-style building was converted into offices in 1968.
Queen's Park Methodist Church Queen's Parkmarker

Methodist Architect W.S. Parnacott designed this church, which stood on Queen's Park Road south of St Luke's Churchmarker. It opened in September 1891 and held its final service in 1987. It has since been converted into a nursery school.
United Methodist Church Hovemarker

Methodist A long-established Bible Christian community founded this church, which was built in the Early English style in 1904 and opened in 1905. The 400-capacity building did not thrive, closed in 1947 and was sold to an organisation for adults with learning disabilities.
Brighton Regency Synagoguemarker Kemptownmarker

Jewish David Mocatta built Brighton's first synagogue here in 1826 and extended it in 1837. The 50-capacity Regency style building has a pediment, large three-storey pilasters and an entablature bearing the legend . After the Middle Street Synagogue opened, it was sold for commercial use, and is now residential.
Middle Street Synagogue Brightonmarker

Jewish Thomas Lainson's 1874 building in yellow and brown Sussex brick replaced an earlier synagogue on which David Mocatta had worked. The 300-capacity building has an unusually opulent interior, partly funded by the Sassoon family, but high maintenance costs and the existence of three other synagogues in the city led to its closure in 2004.
Union Chapel Brightonmarker

Elim Pentecostal Brighton's first Nonconformist place of worship opened on this site in Union Street in the late 17th century. It became an Independent chapel and then the Union Free Church (founded by the merger of two Congregational churches) in the 19th century; in 1905 it became a missionary church for miners; and in 1927 it became the Elim Church. It is now a pub.
Kingdom Hall Southern Cross

Jehovah's Witnesses This former Kingdom Hall in Portslademarker, on Trafalgar Road close to Fishersgate railway stationmarker, was opened in the 1950s, extended several times and sold to a screen-printing company in 1991.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Coldeanmarker

Mormon Brighton's Mormon community worshipped at this church in the 1950s Coldean housing estate from 1963 until its closure in the 1990s and the opening of a new building on Lewes Road.
Dependents' Chapel Hovemarker

Society of Dependents This was one of seven chapels built for John Sirgood's local sect, nicknamed "Cokelers". It opened as a mission hall in 1905 and was converted into a house at the end of the 1970s.
Lewes Road United Reformed Church Brightonmarker

United Reformed Church Architect A. Harford designed this building in the Italian Gothic style for the Congregational Church in 1878. It became a United Reformed Church when that entity was formed in 1972, but was later closed and replaced with a new building further down Lewes Road. The façade has been retained, and the building has been converted into 31 self-catering apartments for formerly homeless people. The facility is supported by the Brighton branch of the YMCA.


References

Notes

  1. (PDF)


Bibliography




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message