The Full Wiki

More info on Little Brickhill

Little Brickhill: Map

  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Little Brickhill is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Milton Keynesmarker and ceremonial Buckinghamshire, Englandmarker. It is just outside and overlooking Milton Keynesmarker itself, two and a half miles west of Woburnmarker in Bedfordshire.

The parish church
The village name 'Brickhill' is a compound of Brythonic and Old English words that have the same meaning: a common occurrence in this part of the country. The Brythonic word 'breg' means 'hill', as does the Old English word 'hyll'. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the village was referred to as Brichelle.

The village has, for a long time, gathered most of its income from the Roman road Watling Streetmarker that passes through the parish from north-west to south-east, and anciently from a market that was established in the village in 1228. At one time the county Assize Courts were held in Little Brickhill, making it adversely larger than nearby Great Brickhillmarker. The last time the assizes were heard here was in 1638. Between 1561 and 1620 the names of a number of executed criminals appear in the burial register of the village. The village, being located on a major route to London, was a staging post for mail and passenger stagecoaches. 'The Clockhouse' (now converted for residential use) housed just such a staging post, incorporating a stable, office, coach sheds, a hotel and a cowshed. Upon entering the courtyard, grooves can be seen in the cobble stones under the arch that were made by the wheels of countless coaches coming and going.

The village is also the final resting place of Dame V.Bushell [1756-1847], who was most well-known for the "Veritas" movement, highlighting the plight of women in the village.

The village has 2 public houses, The Old Green Man (in the centre of the village) and the George and Dragon (higher up the village opposite the church. The Post Office that was housed in the village shop closed down in 2008 which precipitated the closure of the shop itself.

The village is home to St. Mary Magdalene CofE church.

See also




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message