Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction Company
(a.k.a. Lockheed Shipbuilding), was a shipyard in Seattle, Washington on Harbor
Island at the mouth of the Duwamish River.
Founded in 1898 as the Puget Sound Bridge and
, the company that built Harbor Island, it was
purchased by Lockheed
The shipyard was permanently closed in 1988.
The Lockheed Shipyard Operable Unit consisted of an shipyard
facility located on the west side of Harbor Island at 2929 16th
Avenue Southwest. The Lockheed Shipyard was a shipbuilding facility
from the 1930s until 1988. It was bounded on the north by Southwest
Lander Street, on the east by 16th Avenue Southwest, on the south
by the Fisher Mill property, and the west by the West Waterway of
the Duwamish River.
Lockheed constructed several Knox
for the United States Navy in the late 1960s and
early 1970s. These ships included the , the , the , the , and the
Beginning in the mid-1960s and extending into 1971, Lockheed built
and delivered seven landing platform dockships (LPDs) of the
classes for the US Navy. These were the , the , the , the , the ,
the , and the .
Between 1971 and 1977, Lockheed built two Polar-class icebreakers
for the US Coast Guard.
Lockheed won the largest shipbuilding contract in its history in
1974, when the US Navy ordered two submarine tenders to support the
Los Angeles class
submarines. A subsequent order announced with launch of the lead
ship, in 1977, added a third ship to the class. The Land
and the joined the Navy in 1979, with the joining the fleet in
In 1978, Lockheed won the contract to construct the amphibious
support transport ship. Lockheed delivered the Whidbey Island class
ships and in 1986 and 1987 respectively.