The Full Wiki

London County Council: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

London County Council (LCC) was the principal local government body for the County of London, throughout its 1889-1965 existence, and the first London-wide general municipal authority to be directly elected. It covered the area today known as Inner London and was replaced by the Greater London Council. The LCC was the largest, most significant and ambitious municipal authority of its day.


By the 19th century the City of London Corporation covered only a small fraction of metropolitan London. From 1855 the Metropolitan Board of Works (MBW) had certain powers across the metropolis, but it was appointed rather than elected. Many powers remained in the hands of traditional bodies such as parishes and the counties of Middlesexmarker, Surreymarker and Kentmarker. The creation of the LCC in 1889, as part of the Local Government Act 1888, was forced by a succession of scandals involving the MBW. While the Conservative government of the day would have preferred not to create a single body covering the whole of London, their electoral pact with Liberal Unionists led them to this policy. Shortly after its creation a Royal Commission on the Amalgamation of the City and County of London considered the means for amalgamation with the City of Londonmarker. Although this was not achieved, it led to the creation of 28 metropolitan borough as lower tier authorities to replace the various local vestries and boards in 1900; they assumed some powers of the LCC and shared others.

Powers and duties

The LCC inherited the powers of its predecessor the MBW, but also had wider authority over matters such as education, city planning and council housing. It took over the functions of the London School Board in 1903, and Dr C W Kimmins was appointed chief inspector of the education department in 1904.

From 1899 the Council progressively acquired and operated the tramways in the county, which it electrified from 1903. By 1933, when the LCC Tramways were taken over by the London Passenger Transport Board, it was the largest tram operator in the United Kingdom, with more than of route and over 1,700 tramcars.

By 1939 the council had the following powers and duties:

Category Powers and duties Notes
Public Assistance
  • Adoption of children
  • Welfare of blind persons
  • Assistance with formation of building societies and co-operatives
  • Assistance with emigration
  • Domicilary and institutional relef
  • Casual wards
  • Training centres
  • Provision of smallholdings
  • Classes and relief works for the unemployed
  • Appointment of old age pension committee
Many of these powers were acquired in 1930 when the Local Government Act 1929 abolished the Metropolitan Asylums Board and the poor law boards of guardians.

Tram Car No.

Health Services, Housing and Sanitation
  • By-laws and regulations†
  • Prevention of spread of animal diseases†
  • District medical service
  • Main drainage
  • Hospitals and ambulances
  • Large housing schemes (inside and outside the county)†
  • Redevelopment†
  • School medical service
  • Care of "mentally defective" and "mentally disordered"
  • Midwives
  • Registration and inspection of nursing homes†
  • Open spaces†
  • Overcrowding survey
  • Prevention of river pollution
  • Residential treatment of tuberculosis
  • Clearance of unhealthy areas†
  • Treatment of venereal disease†
Medical and ambulance services passed to the National Health Service in 1948.
Regulation and Licensing
  • Licensing of boxing matches
  • Building regulation
  • Dangerous and neglected structures†
  • By-laws for good rule and government†
  • Storage, registration and inspection of celluloid†
  • Licensing of cinemas and theatres (other than those under the Lord Chamberlain)
  • Testing of gas and electricity meters†
  • Registration of employment agencies†
  • Safeguarding of children and young people in employment†
  • Registration and inspection of explosives†
  • Inspection of fertilsers and foodstuffs†
  • Registration of land charges†
  • Registration and inspection of massage establishments†
  • Music and dancing licences
  • Licensing and inspection of petroleum†
  • Licensing of racecourses
  • Clearance of unhealthy areas†
  • Treatment of venereal disease†
  • Shop hours and closing†
  • Prevention of smoke nuisance†
  • Registration of theatrical employers†
  • Town planning†
  • Registration of war and blind charities†
  • Weights and measures†
  • Protection of wild birds
Protective Services
Education and Museums
  • Protection of ancient monuments†
  • Elementary schools
  • Special schools
  • Nursery schools
  • Secondary schools
  • Technical and art schools
  • Training colleges
  • Scholarships
  • Grants to educational institutions
  • Fleet Street Museum
  • Geffrye Museummarker
  • Horniman Museummarker
The council received powers to provide technical education in 1892. On the abolition of the London School Board the LCC became the local education authority with responsibility for elementary and secondary schools on 1 May 1904.
  • Provision of aerodromes†
  • Bridges†
  • Maintenance of Thames Embankment
  • River Ferries
  • Motor vehicle registration
  • Driver licensing
  • Street improvements†
  • Street naming and numbering
  • Subways†
  • Tunnels
Until 1933 the council provided a network of tramway services in the county. This passed to the London Passenger Transport Board.

† Denotes a power administered by the City of London Corporation within the City.


Spring Gardens

Spring Gardens
The LCC initially used the Spring Gardensmarker headquarters inherited from the Metropolitan Board of Works. The building had been designed by Frederick Marrable, the MBW's supeintending architect, and dated from 1860. Opinions on the merits of the building varied: the Survey of London described it as "well balanced" while the architectural correspondent of The Times was less enthusiastic. He summarised the building as "...of the Palladian type of four storeys with two orders, Ionic above and Corinthian below as if its designer had looked rather hastily at the banqueting house of Inigo Jones." The most impressive feature was the curving or elliptical spiral staircase leading to the principal floor. The original board room was too small to accommodate meetings of the new council, and it was soon replaced by a horseshoe-shaped council chamber.

The search for a new site

By 1893 it was clear that the Spring Gardens building was too small for the increased work of the LCC. Seven additional buildings within a quarter of a mile of the County Hall had been acquired, and it was estimated that they would need to take over an average of two more houses annually. The Chancellor of the Exchequer, Sir William Harcourt, offered the council a site at Parliament Street, Westminstermarker for three quarters of a million pounds. Another site subsequently became available between The Strandmarker and The Embankmentmarker, when the Official Receiver took over the partially completed premises of the failed Liberator Building Society. The council's Establishment Committee recommended the purchase of the Parliament Street lot, as it would be a prominent site opposite the Palace of Westminstermarker and next to the principal government offices. Following a debate of the whole council, the committee's recommendation was rejected on financial grounds and as it was felt that the headquarters should not be in the privileged West Endmarker.

The matter remained unresolved, and in 1900 a special committee was formed by the council to seek out a suitable site. In July 1902 they presented their report, recommending a 3.35 acre site in the Adelphimarker. Entry roads to the proposed county hall would be made from The Strand and The Embankment. The council rejected the recommendations in October 1902, and a suggestion was made that the committee seek a site south of the Thames, adjacent to Westminster Bridgemarker.

County Hall, Lambeth

In April 1905 the council finally agreed to seek powers to buy three adjoining plots of land on the eastern side of Westminster Bridge as a site for a single headquarters. The debate in the council chamber was somewhat heated with one councillor objecting to the purchase as it was "on the wrong side of the river.. in a very squalid neighbourhood... and quite unworthy of the dignity of a body like the council". Leading member of the council, John Burns countered that it "would brighten up a dull place, sweeten a sour spot and for the first time bring the south of London into a dignified and beautiful frontage on the River Thames."

The necessary powers were obtained under the London County Council (Money) Act 1906, and a competition to design the new building was organised.There were approximately 100 entries, and the winner was the twenty-nine year old Ralph Knott. Construction began in 1911, and the first section was opened in 1922, with the original building completed in 1933. Extensions continued to be made throughout the council's existence.


Elections to the London County Council

The county was divided into electoral divisions, which had the same boundaries as the parliamentary constituencies. Initially, each division returned two councillors, with the exception of the City of London, which returned four. Under the Representation of the People Act 1948 this was altered, with three councillors being returned for each division. Elections of all councillors were held every three years, although they were cancelled during the First and Second World Wars.

In addition to the elected councillors the council also comprised one county alderman for every six councillors. Aldermen were elected by halves by the council for six-year terms at the first meeting following the election.

Political control

Initially, it had been hoped by many that elections to the LCC would be conducted on a non-partisan basis, but in the council two political groups formed. The majority group in 1889 was the Progressives, who were unofficially allied with the Liberal Party in national politics. Those who allied with the Conservative Party formed the Moderate group. In 1906, the Moderates became known as the Municipal Reform Party.

The LCC was elected every three years. The Progressives were in control continuously from 1889 until 1907, when they lost power to the Municipal Reformers. Municipal Reform control lasted until 1934 when Labour won power, which they kept until the LCC was abolished.

The following is a summary of the council composition following each election. The figures shown are the number of councillors plus aldermen. For instance 13 + 2 indicates 13 councillors and 2 aldermen.

Overall control Mod./M.R./Cons. Labour Prog./Lib. Others
1961 Labour 42 + 7 84 +14 - -
1958 Labour 25 + 7 101 + 14 - -
1955 Labour 52 + 8 74 + 13 - -
1952 Labour 37 + 6 92 + 15 - -
1949 Labour 64 + 5 64 + 16 1 + 0 -
1946 Labour 30 + 6 90 + 14 2 + 0 2 + 0
1937 Labour 49 + 8 75 + 12 - -
1934 Labour 55 + 9 69 + 11 - -
1931 Municipal Reform 83 + 13 35 + 6 6 + 0 0 + 1
1928 Municipal Reform 77 + 12 42 + 6 5 + 1 0 + 1
1925 Municipal Reform 83 + 13 35 + 6 6 + 0 -
1922 Municipal Reform 82 + 12 16 + 3 26 + 5 -
1919 Municipal Reform 68 + 12 15 + 2 40 + 6 1 + 0
1913 Municipal Reform 67 + 15 2 + 0 49 + 4 -
1910 Municipal Reform 60 + 17 3 + 0 55 + 2 -
1907 Municipal Reform 79 + 11 1 + 0 37 + 8 1 + 0
1904 Progressive 35 + 6 - 82 + 13 1 + 0
1901 Progressive 32 + 6 0 + 1 86 + 12 -
1898 Progressive 48 + 8 0 + 1 70 + 10 -
1895 Progressive 59 + 7 - 59 + 12 -
1892 Progressive 35 + 2 - 83 + 17 -
1889 Progressive 46 + 1 - 72 + 18 -

Leaders of the London County Council

The post of Leader was only officially recognised in 1933. This table gives the Leaders of the majority parties on the council before this time, although in the first term this had little relevance in terms of the leadership of the Council.

Council Chamber of the LCC, from the majority benches

Chairmen of the London County Council

Lord Rosebery, first chairman of the London County Council

Chairman and vice chairman

The county council was required by statute to appoint a chairman and a vice chairman at its annual meeting. Both of these positions were generally filled by members of the majority party. The chairman chaired meetings of the council, and was the county's civic leader, filling a similar role to the mayor of a borough or city. The vice chairman performed these functions in his absence. The first chairman was the Earl of Rosebery, and the last chairman was Arthur Wicks.

The chairmanship was a prestigious office, second only to that of lord lieutenant. The incumbent chairmen were honoured with knighthood on the occasions of the coronations of Edward VII and Elizabeth II, and the laying of the foundation stone of County Hall. As part of the celebrations of the silver jubilee of George V in 1935 it was announced that the chairman would in future be entitled to use the style "right honourable", an honour already enjoyed by the Lord Mayor of London.

Deputy chairman

The council's standing orders also provided for the post of deputy chairman. Until 1895 the holder of this office was in charge of the organisation of the council's activities, and was paid a salary. This was seen as a conflict of interest by the Royal Commission on the Amalgamation of the City and County of London when they reported in 1894, and in 1895 a county clerk was added to the council staff to perform these duties. The deputy chairmanship then became purely ceremonial, and was filled by nominees of the opposition party on the council.

See also


  1. Saint, A., Politics and the people of London: the London County Council (1889-1965), (1989)
  2. Local Government Act 1888, S.40(4)
  3. 1948 c.65, s.59

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address