Longstanton is a village in
Cambridgeshire, England, northwest
of Cambridge city centre.
Village sign of Longstanton
For most of its history Longstanton was split into two parishes
: the larger Long Stanton All Saints to the
north and the smaller Long Stanton St. Michael to the south. The
two may have been seen as distinct by 1086, when the Domesday Book
referred to a "Stantone" and a
"Stantune", and were certainly so by 1240, distinguished in
Liber Memorandorum Ecclesie de Bernewelle
as "Stanton" and
"the other Stanton". The two villages were not formally amalgamated
All Saint's Church, Longstanton
The first known reference to the village, dating back to 1070 AD,
calls the village "Stantonia" and describes it as "an enclosed
settlement of stoney ground."
By the time of the Domesday Book
"Stantone" was one of the most populous villages in the area, with
67 peasant tenants being recorded. By 1563 this had dwindled to 42 families,
and the settlement had been overtaken in size by other nearby
villages such as Chesterton. The population fluctuated between 400 and 600
for several centuries, until the village was transformed by the
opening of RAF
Oakington in 1940,
resulting in the building of three new housing estates in the
village and a trebling of the population.
The airbase became
an army barracks in 1975; on its closure in 1999 most of the
housing was sold to private owners.
The population of the village was recorded as 1700 by the 2001 census
The disused St Michael's Church, to
the south of the village
Longstanton is unusual among English villages in having two
churches - a reminder of its
history as two parishes. The larger of the two churches, All Saints
Church, is in the centre of the modern village and dates from the
mid-14th Century, when it replaced an earlier church which was
destroyed by a fire. It closed in 2003 due to a collapse of the
ceiling, but reopened in 2007 after £10,000 was raised for repairs.
It is a Grade I listed
St Michael's Church, situated towards the south of the village, is
the smaller and older of the two churches, having been built around
1230. It is notable as a rare example of a church with a thatched
roof (one of only two surviving in
Cambridgeshire), and is a Grade II* listed building. It has not
been used for regular worship since the amalgamation of the
parishes, and is now maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust
modelled after its architecture have been built as far away as
Philadelphia (see Church of St. James the Less) and South
railway station operated between 1847 and 1970.
A part of
the Cambridge and
the station was immortalised in the Flanders and Swann
song, "Slow Train
". Despite surviving the Beeching Axe
, passenger services to Long
Stanton were ended in 1970.
, set to be the world's longest guided busway
, is under construction and will
stop at Longstanton. The scheme, budgeted at £116.2 million, is
scheduled to open in early 2009. The scheme has been heavily
criticised by campaigners who believe that the route would be
better served by a rail link.
The village has a recently built primary
, a Village Institute, a Doctor's and an Immigration
Centre nearby. The Black Bull pub is over 300 years old.
Longstanton will border the new town of Northstowe, which is expected to become England's first
-  Secretary Of State Celebrates Start Of
Works On Guided Busway
-  Guided Busway leaflet
- BBC Action Network Cambridge’s guided bus