The Full Wiki

More info on Longton, Lancashire

Longton, Lancashire: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Longton is a small rural community in the west of the borough of South Ribblemarker, Lancashiremarker about 5 km south west of Prestonmarker. Longton is a village of ancient origin. The Parish Church, St. Andrew's was completed in 1887, but there is record of a chapel on the same site as long ago as 1150. A document refers to "Earward Priest of Longton" of that date.

Longton Brickcroft is a former brickworks which has been transformed into a nature reserve and public open space. It was declared a Local Nature Reserve by South Ribble Borough Council in 1998. The environment has been made extremely attractive, dominated by water which has filled the former clay pits. One of the water areas is available for fishing. The areas surrounding the water have been allowed to develop naturally with trees, shrubbery and wild plants.

The Brickcroft will be of particular interest to birdwatchers and botanists with seating and footpaths making it accessible for most visitors.

A purpose built visitor centre contains informative displays on the site's history, local wildlife and the environment. Facilities include toilets with disabled and baby changing provision, car parking and a picnic area.

Longton Marshes are a large area of marshland to the west of Longton lying at the confluence of the Rivers Douglas and Ribblemarker which is now part of the Ribble Linkmarker. It is the natural home for a large variety of visiting and indigenous wildfowl. The 70 mile Ribble Waymarker footpath starts at the Dolphin Inn on the edge of the marsh and follows its edge before joining the Ribblemarker.

In 1882 the West Lancashire Railway came to the village. Longton Bridge railway stationmarker was aimed at opening the village up to the local economic hubs of Prestonmarker and Southportmarker, but the placement of the station in relation to the village was too far. The line closed in 1964. While some of the line's earth bankings and bridge foundations are still visible, much of the track has been built over.

A small Royal Observer Corps / UKWMO nuclear observation bunker can be found to the north-west of the village on Back Lane. Its position is concealed as it is located on a private field, and as such it is relatively unknown among villagers.

References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message