The Full Wiki

More info on Mödlareuth

Mödlareuth: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The Mödlareuth wall today is part of an open-air museum
Mödlareuth is a Germanmarker village situated partly in Bavariamarker and partly in Thuringiamarker. The northern part was in East Germanymarker and the southern part in West Germanymarker.The Thuringian part of the village belongs to Gefellmarker while the Bavarian part belongs to Töpenmarker.It was called Little Berlin by the Americans because a wall divided it, like the Berlin Wallmarker divided Berlinmarker. Now a museum shows the history of the village and gives information about the political system at that time.

History

In 1810 (see Napoleonic Wars) the Tannbach River (only one foot wide), which flows through Mödlareuth, became the new border between the Kingdom of Bavaria and the principality of Reuss Junior Line. For 140 years this border made little difference to the local populace. There was just one school and one restaurant.

In 1945, Thuringia (to which Reuß had belonged since 1920) became part of the Soviet occupation zone, while Bavaria went to the American occupation zone. When the constitutions of West Germanymarker and East Germanymarker were ratified in 1949, the village became divided by the border between two states. A pass was required to cross between the two parts of town.

In 1952, East Germany began to strengthen its western border. Residents of areas close to the border were forced to relocate, including some residents of Mödlareuth. After the Berlin Wallmarker was built in 1961, walls were built in other towns on the border as well. The wall of Mödlareuth was built in 1966. From that point on, the East German part of the village was strictly monitored day and night, while on the West German side the wall became a kind of tourist attraction. The Americans nicknamed the town Little Berlin.

In 1983, the then U.S. Vice President George H. W. Bush visited and exclaimed, "Ich bin ein Mödlareuther!", an allusion to John F. Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner" statement.

On 17 June 1990, seven months after the Berlin Wall fell and four months before German reunification, the Mödlareuth Wall was knocked down using a bulldozer. A small portion has been retained as a memorial.

Mödlareuth today

Open-air museum
The Thuringian part of the village of Mödlareuth belongs to the town of Gefellmarker, and the Bavarian part to the community of Töpenmarker.

Since 1994, Mödlareuth has had an open-air museum about the border between East and West Germany. It includes a portion of the original wall as well as a rebuilt barrier typical of those on the border at the time.

Although there is free passage between the two parts of the village today, there are still many differences. They have different postal codes and telephone area codes; the residents vote separately and send their children to different schools.

References

  1. 'Little Berlin' marks 40th anniversary of its own Cold War wall


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message