The Full Wiki

More info on M-12 (Michigan highway)

M-12 (Michigan highway): Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



M-12 was the designation of a former state trunkline highway in the Upper Peninsulamarker of the U.S. state of Michiganmarker. Before the advent of the U.S. Highway System in 1926, M-12 occupied the route of what is now known as US 2 from Ironwoodmarker to Sault Ste.marker Mariemarker. The only part of M-12 was not replaced by US 2 was where it occupied the present day routings of M-69, between Crystal Falls and Sagolamarker, and M-95 from Sagola to Iron Mountainmarker.

Route description

M-12 started at a bridge crossing the Montreal Rivermarker between Hurley, Wisconsinmarker and Ironwood, Michiganmarker. This bridge on Silver Street marked the state line. From Ironwood, M-12 ran eastward through Bessemermarker to the community of Wakefieldmarker. There it met M-28 before turning southeasterly roughly parallel to the state line to the community of Watersmeetmarker. Here M-12 intersected M-26. M-26 from Watersmeet northward would later be used as part of what is now US 45. M-12 continued to the community of Iron Rivermarker and east to Crystal Fallsmarker. Here M-12 met M-69 which used a routing later given to US 102 (now US 141). When the US Highway System was formed, the M-69 designation was moved to replace the next section of M-12 between Crystal Falls and Sagolamarker since the new US 2 didn't use this section of M-12 and M-69 itself was displaced.

From Crystal Falls, M-12 continued eastward to Sagola before turning south to Iron Mountainmarker over what is now the southern section of M-95. At Iron Mountain, M-12 followed the present-day routing of US 2 eastward through Norwaymarker to Powersmarker. M-15 joined M-12 at Powers eastward to Escanabamarker to Rapid River. M-15 was replaced by US 41. M-12 ran eastward to the St. Ignacemarker area. The lakeshore routing in Mackinac Countymarker used by US 2 was not built at the time of M-12's redesignation. Instead M-12 used roads no longer part of the Michigan Highway System running north of St Ignace to connect with what is now M-134. From Cedarville north, M-12 ran along the present-day M-129 north into Sault Ste.marker Mariemarker and ended at the state ferry docks.

History

M-12 was first designated in 1919. It was replaced by US 2 in 1926 and the designation has never been reused since.

Major intersections

References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message