The Full Wiki

More info on Maine State House

Maine State House: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Maine State House, located in Augusta, Mainemarker, United Statesmarker, was completed in 1832, one year after Augusta became the capital of Mainemarker. Built using Maine granite, the State House was based on the design of the Capitol building for Massachusettsmarker. Governor John Baldacci and the rest of Maine's State Legislature convene at the State House.

History

When Maine separated from Massachusetts and became a state in 1820, a number of cities and towns sought the honor of becoming the state capital and site of the new State House. The principal aspirants were Portlandmarker, Brunswickmarker, Hallowellmarker, Watervillemarker, Belfastmarker, Wiscassetmarker, and Augusta.

The Legislature finally selected the City of Augusta and Governor Enoch Lincoln signed the bill establishing Augusta as the official capital on February 24, 1827.

The lot occupied by the State House and State grounds, containing thirty-four acres and extending from the old Hallowell road to the Kennebec River, was chosen by the Governor and the Commissions after careful consideration of various sites on both sides of the river.

The building was designed by the renowned architect, Charles Bulfinch of Bostonmarker, and, in its original form, resembled another work of his, the Massachusetts State Housemarker.

About in length, including the central portion with columns and cupola and two wings extending north and south, the building's cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1829 amid impressive Masonic ceremonies. Construction was of granite from Hallowell quarries and took three years to complete.

The cost of the building was originally estimated to be $80,000, but when completed, expenditures of the building, furnishings and grounds amounted to $139,000, of which $11,500 was contributed by the City of Augusta.

Maine State House as originally designed (image from mid-1800s)
The Maine Legislature held its first session in the new state Capitol on January 4, 1832.

The interior of the Capitol was remodeled in 1852 and again in 1860 to provide additional room for state departments.

In 1890-1891, a large three-story wing was added to the rear of the building to accommodate the State Library and to provide more office space for departments.

Major remodeling of the Capitol during 1909-1910 established the present-day appearance of the building. It was enlarged according to designs by G. Henri Desmond, necessitating the demolition of almost all the old buildings save the front and rear walls.

While the noble Bulfinch front was preserved, the length of the building was doubled to by extending the north and south wings. A dome rising to a height of was built to replace the original cupola.

The dome was surmounted by a statue, the draped female figure of Wisdom, designed by W. Clark Noble of Gardiner, and made of copper overlaid with gold.
Maine State House as it looks today
The House of Representatives occupies the third and fourth floors of the north wing and the Senate chambers occupy similar quarters in the south wing.

The governor's office is located in renovated offices on the second floor at the rear of the central portion of the Capitol along with the Hall of Flags and the law library. The governor's office overlooks the massive, granite State Office Building located to the west of the State House. A recently renovated tunnel connects the State House and the State Office Building. The tunnel houses several Maine wildlife scenes.

At the south side of the Capitol grounds, the state library, state museum and state archives are housed in a modern building.

Throughout the building are portraits of governors and other outstanding men and women who have served Maine throughout her history as a province and a state.

To the north, across from the State House, is the Executive Mansion, more commonly known as the Blaine House, which was presented to the State by Harriet Blaine Beale.

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message