Manlius is a village in
New York, USA.
The population was 4,819 at the 2000
census. The village takes its name from its town..
Village of Manlius is near the south town line of
the Town of
Manlius and is southeast of the City of
Syracuse of which it is a suburb.
Originally one of the communities in the Central New York Military
(defined as Township Number Seven), the town of Manlius
was settled in 1794. The village, however was settled two years
before by John A. Shaeffer, a German. The first schoolhouse in
Manlius was erected in 1798. Made out of logs, it was located near
a local resident's mill, named only as Mr. Costello. By 1801, the
village began to grow, with six buildings, and several amenities
including a blacksmith, store, doctor, lawyer, and a tavern. By the
turn of the 19th century, there was also a post office defined as
"Liberty Square". However, the name of Liberty Square was
eventually renamed to Manlius Square. After four years, Manlius had
grown at a rapid rate, with the building of thirty houses. The
growing village was defined as one of the most promienent business
locations in Onondaga County. + The community became the first
village in the county in 1813.
Before the construction of the Erie
, Manlius was a large business point along the Cherry Valley Turnpike
and Seneca Turnpikes
. Since the travelling of
goods passed through Manlius on these turnpikes, that every other
structure along the highways were taverns. Between Manlius and
nearby Chittenango, New
York, there were only about six or seven public
Most of this stretch of the Seneca Turnpike is
now New York State Route
years, Manlius was the biggest trade center in Onondaga County,
with what is now Syracuse, New York a swamp at the time.
Into the early 20th
century, its St. John Military Academy was a respected private
school for young men.
Manlius is located at (43.002266, -75.979068) .
According to the United
States Census Bureau
, the village has a total area of
1.8 square miles
).None of the area is covered with water.
New York State Route 92
New York State Route 173
intersect in Manlius.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 4,819
people, 2,056 households, and 1,293 families residing in the
village. The population density
was 2,705.8 people per square mile (1,045.3/km²). There were 2,143
housing units at an average density of 1,203.3/sq mi
(464.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 93.07% White
, 1.02% Black
or African American
, 0.23% Native American
, 0.21% from other races
, and 1.31% from two
or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 1.31%
of the population.
There were 2,056 households out of which 32.6% had children under
the age of 18 living with them, 51.8% were married couples living
together, 9.0% had a female householder with no husband present,
and 37.1% were non-families. 33.2% of all households were made up
of individuals and 15.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years
of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the
average family size was 3.00.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.7% under the
age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 24.5% from 45
to 64, and 16.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age
was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 87.2 males. For
every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $45,492, and
the median income for a family was $65,080. Males had a median
income of $49,600 versus $29,118 for females. The per capita income
for the village was
$26,434. About 3.2% of families and 6.4% of the population were
below the poverty line
, including 10.5%
of those under age 18 and 7.2% of those age 65 or over.
Meets every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month in the board
- Village Clerk/Treasurer: Brian Gazda
- Deputy Clerk/Treasurer: Connie Stuper
- Deputy Clerk/Treasurer: Diane Ilacqua
- Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Court Hours: 7:30p.m. (Meets first three Thursdays of every
- Joseph Greenman - Justice
- Steven Alderman - Acting Justice
- Allison Weber - Court Clerk
Located at the Manlius Village Centre, the department includes a
recreation building set up for art programs, a gymnasium, and
auditorium, three playground structure sites, a fish hatchery,
fishing pond, and three parks.
- John Maher - Superintendent
- Scott St. Hilaire - Assistant Superintendent
The Public Works Department includes street maintenance, building
maintenance, Fleet services, pond and hatchery maintenance, solid
waste removal, park and community facility maintenance, parkways,
parks, playground equipment maintenance and waste & recycling
Department staff repair village streets and sidewalks, remove snow,
sweep streets, install and maintain traffic
, clean and repair village buildings and facilities
including the village center, maintain village vehicles, clean
storm drains and remove trash.
Fire Department and EMS
Is a combination paid/volunteer Fire Department with 12 paid staff
and approximately 60 volunteers. The majority of the paid staff
works a 2-day 2-night rotation providing both Fire and Emergency
Medical Services to the Village, the Manlius Fire District, and
part of the Town of Pompey. The department responds to over 2000
combined fire and EMS alarms per year. The volunteers make up the
Manlius Fire Company while the paid staff is part of the Town of
Manlius Professional Firefighters International Association of
Firefighters Local 3316.
- Paul Whorrall - Volunteer Fire Chief
- Robert Bennett - Volunteer Deputy Fire Chief
- Ray Dill - Volunteer Assistant Fire Chief
The station and operational company officers are made up of a
combination of paid and volunteer staff.
The Village of Manlius Ambulance is operated by the Manlius Fire
Department and is consistently staffed with the same combination of
volunteers and paid staff. The Department is committed to providing
Advanced Life Support (ALS) Care to the residents it serves. The
majority of the ALS care is provided by the 11 paid
Firefighter/Paramedics on staff.
K-12 education is served by the Fayetteville-Manlius Central School
3. Sloan, De Villo. The Crimsoned Hills of Onondaga.
Amherst, NY: Cambria Press, 2008.