Marcellus is a village in
County in the U.S. state of
population was 1,162 at the 2000 census
. The village is located
within Marcellus Township. It is part of the South
Bendâ€“Mishawaka, IN-MI, Metropolitan Statistical
According to the United
States Census Bureau
, the village has a total area of 0.7
), of which, 0.7 square miles (1.8 kmÂ²) of
it is land and 1.45% is water.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 1,162
people, 437 households, and 319 families residing in the village.
The population density
1,719.3 per square mile (659.8/kmÂ²). There were 462 housing units
at an average density of 683.6/sq mi (262.3/kmÂ²). The racial
makeup of the village was 96.82% White
, 0.86% African American
, 0.34% from other races
, and 1.38% from two
or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 1.12%
of the population.
There were 437 households out of which 38.4% had children under the
age of 18 living with them, 54.9% were married
living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no
husband present, and 26.8% were non-families. 22.7% of all
households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living
alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size
was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the village the population was spread out with 30.1% under the
age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 18.7% from 45
to 64, and 12.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age
was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 86.5 males. For
every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $38,958, and
the median income for a family was $45,000. Males had a median
income of $33,750 versus $22,826 for females. The per capita income
for the village was
$16,296. About 8.3% of families and 11.7% of the population were
below the poverty line
, including 14.9%
of those under age 18 and 10.3% of those age 65 or over.
The first settler in the Marcellus area was John Bair, who came in
October 1832. He was followed almost a year later by Daniel
Driskel, in 1833. In 1835, 11 other families settled in Marcellus,
and by 1836, 28 families had settled there.
At the time of the organization of the township the citizens wanted
to call it Cambria; however, since there was already a township by
that name in Michigan, their Representative at that time, Judge
Littlejohn of Allegan, proposed they name it after Roman Emperor
Flavius Marcellus. As a result, on June 16, 1843, the township was
officially named Marcellus. Elections were held on the same night
and Daniel G. Rouse was elected Township Supervisor, Guerdor R.
Beebee was elected Treasurer, and Ephraim Huyatt was elected
In the winter of 1870-71 the Peninsular Railroad came through
Marcellus, infusing life into the small township. The depot was
originally on the east side of town; however, because the business
district was far from the depot, the depot was moved in 1898. After
this move, business began rapidly expanding and an addition was
added to the station to meet the increased traffic demands. By
1911, ten passenger trains stopped at the depot every day.
Marcellus became an official village in 1879, with over 500
residents. Three years later it had grown and included 2 churches,
3 dry goods stores, 3 groceries, 3 millinery shops, 2 drug stores,
2 meat markets, 2 hotels, 2 tin shops, a bank, 2 stave factories, 2
harness shops, a hardware store, a furniture store, a restaurant, a
printing business, a tailor shop, a cooper shop, a steam saw mill,
a sash and blind manufacturer, 4 doctors, 2 lawyers, 2 justices of
the peace, and a newspaper.
During its height, Marcellus was also home to two theaters, a
bowling alley, and a pool hall. Each year it hosted the National
Bluegill Frolic, a parade, fishing tournament, and beauty pageant
which attracted thousands each year.
- Cass County Historical Commission (1981). Historical
Reflections of Cass County, The Ink Well.
- Rogers, H.R (1875). History of Cass County Michigan,
Vigilant Book & Job Print.
- "The History of Marcellus" (2000). A video project of the
Marcellus Township Friends of the Library. Vincint Soo & Co.