The Full Wiki

Market Harborough: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Market Harborough is a market town in Leicestershiremarker, England and in the district of Harboroughmarker. It has a population of 20,785 and is the administrative headquarters of Harborough District Council. Although it is in Leicestershire, its surrounding villages which form its natural hinterland are half in Leicestershire and half in Northamptonshiremarker. The town was formerly at a cross roads for both road and rail. However the A6 now bypasses the town to the east and the A14 which carries east-west traffic is to the south. The town is served by East Midlands Trains with direct services to Nottinghammarker, Derbymarker and St Pancras Internationalmarker. Rail services to Rugbymarker and Peterboroughmarker ended in 1966.

The centre of the town is dominated by the steeple of St Dionysius Parish Church which rises direct from the street, as there is no church yard. It was constructed in grey stone in 1300 with the church itself a later building of about 1470. Next to the church stands the Old Grammar School, a small timber building dating from 1614. The ground floor is open, creating a covered market area and there is a single room on the first floor. It has become a symbol of the town. The nearby square, is now largely pedestrianised and surrounded by a mixture of buildings of varying styles. The upper end of the High Street is wide and contains mostly unspoiled Georgian buildings.

Market Harborough has two villages within its confines. Great Bowdenmarker lies over a hill about a mile from the town centre. Little Bowdenmarker is less than half a mile from the town centre. The three centres have largely coalesced through ribbon development and infill, although Great Bowden continues to retain a strong village identity.

Geography

Road

Market Harborough is in a rural part of south Leicestershire, on the River Wellandmarker and close to the Northamptonshiremarker border. The town is about south of Leicestermarker via the A6, north of Northamptonmarker via the A508 and north west of Ketteringmarker. The town is near the A14 road running from the M1/M6 motorway interchange at Catthorpemarker to Felixstowemarker. The M1 is about west via the A4304 road

Other

The Midland Main Line railway connects to London St Pancras Internationalmarker. A branch of the Grand Union Canalmarker terminates in the north part of the town and connects to the main canal near Foxton and the Foxton Locksmarker (see below)

Governance

The Parliamentary Constituency is Harboroughmarker which includes the town, surrounding rural areas as well as the urban areas of Oadbymarker, Wigstonmarker and South Wigstonmarker, all southern suburbs of the city of Leicestermarker to the north. The current MP is Edward Garnier.

The District Council is Harborough District Council, with its offices in the town centre being the former Symingtons Corset Factory. The town itself is however an unparished area, with no town council of its own - the third least populated town of this sort.

The town is in the southern area of Leicestershire County Council close to the border with Northamptonshiremarker.

The Harborough Youth Council takes the views of young people (aged 13–19) and aims to improve life for these young people. It holds a Voice of Young People Conference each year where young people give their views in front of district councillors. The HYC meets usually once per month, and sends representatives to CYCLe (County Youth Council Leicestershire)

Development

1200-1799

Domesday Book records Bowden as a Royal Manor organised in three manors. The population lived in three villages, Great Bowden, Arden and Little Bowden. The Manor of Harborough is first mentioned in 1199 and 1227 when it was called “Haverberg”. It is likely that Harborough was formed out of the Royal Manor with the intention of making it a place for tradesmen and a market when a new highway between Oxendon and Kibworth was established to help link Northampton and Leicester . A chapel dedicated to St Dionysius was built on the route, whilst St Mary in Arden retained Parish Church status.

The name of Harborough is likely to derive from the Anglo-Saxon “haefera-beorg” or oat hill. A market was established by 1204 and has been held on a Tuesday ever since 1221. The trades people of Harborough had large tofts or farm yards at the rear of their property where goods were made and stored. Many of these yards remain but have been subdivided down their length over the years to give frontage to the High Street

The Steeple of Harborough Church was started in 1300 and completed in 1320. It is a broache spire, which rests on the walls of the tower, and are earlier than recessed spires which rise from behind a square tower as at Great Bowden. By 1382 the village of Arden had been abandoned, although the Church remained in use for some years. In 1470 the main part of Harborough Church was completed. An open stream ran down the High Street. The Town Estate was created and managed by a body of Feoffees elected by the townspeople, to help manage among other things the Open Fields surrounding the town, the proceeds from which were used for a variety of purposes. From 1570 the Town Estate owned several properties within the town.

Harborough figured nationally in the English Civil War in June 1645, when it became the headquarters of the Kings Army. In Harborough, the King decided to confront Parliamentary forces who were camped near Nasebymarker but the Battle of Nasebymarker proved a decisive victory for Parliament led by Oliver Cromwell. Harborough Chapel became a temporary prison for the captured forces. Cromwell wrote a letter from “Haverbrowe, June 14 1645” to the Speaker of the House of Commons, William Lenthall, announcing the victory.

An Independent Church was established in the Harborough area following the 1662 Act of Uniformity and a Meeting House was built in Bowden Lane in 1694.

During the eighteenth century the original timber mud and thatch buildings of the town were largely replaced with brick building. After roads were turnpiked and regularly repaired making wheeled traffic easier all year round, Harborough became a staging point for coach travel on the road to main road to London from the North West and the Midlands. In 1776 the Open Fields of Great Bowden were allotted to individual owners and fenced with hedges planted, followed by those of Little Bowden in 1780.

1800-1899

In the nineteenth century, the increasing level of heavy goods traffic on the turnpike roads led to complaints. A plan for a canal from Leicester to join the London to Birmingham canal was mooted but it eventually bypassed the town and a branch canal was cut from Foxton to Harborough with wharves at Gallow Hill, and Great Bowden. Harborough wharf at the north of the town became a distribution centre for coal and corn. A Gas Works company formed in 1833 to make and distribute gas. John Clarke & Sons of London built a factory for spinning worsted and later making carpets. Other industries developed were a brickworks, brewery, wheelwright/coachworks and the British Glues and Chemicals works by the Canal at Gallow Hill. In the 1830’s a union of parishes around Market Harborough was formed to look after the poor and a workhouse was built in 1836 on the site of St Luke’s Hospital. In 1841 Thomas Cook who was a wood turner and cabinet maker in the town organised the first group travel by rail from Leicestermarker to Loughboroughmarker and went on to found the travel agency bearing his name.

Market Harborough became a centre for fox hunting with hounds during the nineteenth century when Mr Tailby of Skeffington Hall established a hunt in South East Leicestershire in 1856. The country between Billesdonmarker and Harborough was considered severe, involving jumping the specially designed ox fences. His hunting diary is recognised as the most important document in the history of hunting. The Hunt was re-named the Fernie after a subsequent Master.

The building of the Leicester–Rugby railway in 1840 had a catastrophic effect on the coaching traffic through the town. A railway did not serve the town until 1850 with a link to Rugby but this was quickly followed by links to Leicester and London in 1857 and to Northampton in 1859.

In 1850 William Symington, a grocer in the town established a factory to make pea-flour. His brother James developed a haberdashery and stay making business and in 1876 his sons acquired the old carpet factory to make corsets. They expanded it by three additional floors in 1881 and then built a new factory opposite Church Square in 1884 which still remains today as the Council offices, library and museum. In the 1890’s Harborough Rubber Company, Looms Wooden Heels and Caxton Die Casting works were established. A Tannery was built on land adjoining the Commons.

There was a rapid expansion in the town's population from 4,400 in 1861 to 7,700 in 1901. This had been at the expense of living conditions with severe overcrowding in the old town.. Rows of cottages had been build in the yards of older houses with shared access to water and waste disposal. The Public Health Act of 1875 required local authorities to implement building regulations, or bye-laws, which insisted that each house should be self-contained, with its own sanitation and water. In 1883 a new system of sewers were laid and piped water supplied from wells at Husbands Bosworthmarker. Additional residential areas were developed – the New Harborough estate off Coventry Road and the Northampton Road estate between Nithsdale Avenue and Caxton St.

1900-1999

In 1888 Little Bowdenmarker parish was transferred from Northamptonshire to Leicestershire and following the Local Government Act of 1894, an Urban District Council was formed for Market Harborough, covering the town and the parishes of Little and Great Bowden. Various schemes were implemented to improve the town. It acquired the gas company and built a public baths. It acquired land for the construction of Abbey Street in 1901 which removed the a multi occupied yard of the Coach and Horses Inn and enabled the building of a fire station on the new Street in 1903. In the same year a new livestock market was opened between Springfield Street and the river on of land, enabling the cattle and sheep markets to be cleared from the streets. In 1905 the council bought land at Great Bowden and Little Bowden for recreation grounds.

In 1919 there were still around 150 dwellings identified as unfit for human habitation mostly in the yards and courts of Harborough and there was an identified need for 300 new houses. Land to the north of the town was selected and a scheme for 98 homes for rent developed as the Bowden Fields Estate. Following the introduction of mortgage subsidy, over 100 private homes were built and a further development of 72 rented homes took place. By 1928 about 400 houses had been built since 1918, 164 by the Council. A major improvement took place from 1930 with the acquisition of land between Northampton Road and Farndon Road. This enabled the construction of Welland Park Road (which enabled east west traffic to bypass the town centre), provision of 100 homes for rent along Welland Park Road and 52 in Walcot Road to rehouse occupants of the old yard houses, plots for private housing, the layout of Welland Park and the construction of Welland Park Schoolmarker.

A covered Market Hall was opened at the western end of the Cattlemarket in 1938, replacing the market stalls on the Square on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

The postwar period saw another shortage of housing and some 600 people on the waiting list for social housing. The council developed a 100 dwelling extension to the Bowden Fields Estate by 1949 and acquired of land to the south west of the town to deal with the problem. A new Southern Estate was planned to accommodate 700 dwellings, shopping centre, school and recreation ground. The Council laid initial access roads named after personalities of the Battle of Nasebymarker since these fields were crossed by both armies on 14 June 1645. A plaque now records the events and was unveiled by Mrs H.B. Lenthall on 1 February 1951 to mark the opening of the Estate development. Around 150 dwellings were built for rent with the remaining plots available for private building. The final phase of development occurred in the 1980’s.

In 1950 the canal basin was the venue for a week long National Festival of Boats, the first such Festival organised by the Inland Waterways Association and marking the beginning of the revival of the canal network for leisure use. The old Brewery site was acquired for a bus station in 1951 and in 1958 a main car park was opened at the Commons and further car parks established in the 1960’s to deal with the increasing demand. Proposals for development of an Industrial Estate at Riverside and Rockingham Road were approved in 1962 and the area developed during the 1960’s.

Following serious flooding in the town centre on 2 July 1958, a flood relief scheme was instigated and the river bed was straightened and deepened.

In 1968 the centre of Market Harborough was declared a conservation area. Several major developments included the development of headquarters for Golden Wonder, crisp makers and the demolition of the old Symington factory in Adam and Eve Street for redevelopment as Eden Court shops and flats.

During the 1970s, draft proposals were made for an inner relief road to avoid traffic congestion in the town centre. However, it was rejected in favour of a bypass outside the town.

In 1980 the Symingtons Factory at Church Square was redeveloped as the District Council offices, Library and Museum. Plans for an A6 by-pass were approved by the Department for Transport during the 1980s and the road costing £9.5m was opened in June 1992. In addition, proposals were made for a new east-west link road (A14) between the A1 and M1 and a route was identified south. It was finally opened in summer 1991. The opening of these roads has reduced considerably the volume of heavy goods vehicles passing through the town centre.

Associated improvements to the town centre took place as part of a "By-pass Demonstration Project" completed in 1994. This involved comprehensive re-paving and new street furniture to make the centre more pedestrian friendly whilst through-traffic with a speed limit.

In 1993 the former cattle market, bus station, indoor market and several properties next to the old post office and the Peacock Hotel were re-developed to form a new pedestrianised shopping centre called St Mary's Place. This included a Sainsburysmarker supermarket.

2000 onwards

A footpath and cycleway alongside the canal to Foxtonmarker became part of the National Cycle Network Route 6. It continues south following the Brampton Valley Waymarker a long and narrow recreation area on the route of the former railway line to Northampton.

The Canal Basin was restored as an active boating centre called Union Wharf. This consists of workshops, restaurant, studios and apartments. There are residential moorings canal boats can be hired there.

A cycle and footway along the river through the town was created called the Millennium Mile and links Welland Park with the railway station. In 2007 Welland Park was awarded Green Flag Award status and on 4 August 2008 a large new children's play area was opened.

Notable buildings in Market Harborough

The Old Grammar School


One of the town's most notable features is an unusual former grammar school located in the town centre which stands on wooden stilts. The school room had to be built upon posts to allow the butter market to be held on the ground floor. The School was founded in 1607 and built in 1614, through the generosity of Robert Smyth, a poor native of the town who became Comptroller of the Lord Mayor's Court of the City of Londonmarker and member of the Merchant Taylors' Company.

The subjects taught were Latin, Greek and Hebrew, and many boys were sent to Oxford and Cambridge Universities. The most distinguished of these was John Moore, who became Bishop of Norwich in 1691, and Bishop of Ely in 1707 and also William Henry Bragg, Nobel Prize winner. This is commemorated by a plaque inside the old schoolroom.

The grammar school has since moved sites and is now the Robert Smyth Schoolmarker for 14-18 year olds. The school badge is the arms of the City of London. The school is divided into houses one of which is named "Bragg".

Running around the building are five portions of scripture from the Bible. They are:

St Dionysius Church


The Church of England parish church is dedicated to Saint Dionysius, and is of a broach spire construction. It dates back to the 14th century but has been added to since.

The Old Town Hall


The Old Fire Station, Abbey Street


42 High Street


Harborough Museum
The Harborough Museummarker is in part of what was once Symington's Corset Factory, and shares the building with the council offices and library. The museum opened in 1983 and collect and display objects of local interest including local Roman era archaeological finds. It is open to the public most days and admission is free.

St Mary in Arden Chapel


St Mary's Place and the Settling Rooms
In 1993 the former cattle market, bus station, indoor market and several properties adjacent to the old post office and the Peacock Hotel were re-developed to form a new pedestrianised shopping centre called St Mary's Place. It has 26 retail units, and a new indoor market hall, including a Sainsbury'smarker supermarket. The original 'Settling Rooms' from the cattle market have been listed for preservation in the centre of the car park Description and Image. The site straddles the River Welland, a pedestrian suspension bridge, and two other footbridges. There is a Post Office combined with a newsagents and a variety of popular shops. The Peacock is at the main entrance.

Former Flour Mills, St Mary's Road


Places nearby

Foxton Locks

Three miles north west of the town is Foxton Locksmarker - ten canal locks consisting of two "staircases" each of five locks, on the Leicester line of the Grand Union Canalmarker. It is named after the nearby village of Foxtonmarker where there is one of a very few remaining road swing bridges over the canal.

Gartree Prison

HM Prison Gartreemarker is west of the town near Foxton and the site of a spectacular escape by helicopter in 1987. The prison currently caters for prisoners on life sentences.

Sport and leisure

Football: Market Harborough has two teams: Harborough Town and Borough Alliance. Both cater for a wide variety of ages. Harborough Town FC has three senior teams, including a ladies' team. The Northampton Road clubhouse has received Football foundation, council and Bowden's Charity grants and awards, as well as sponsorship money, for improvements. Borough Alliance FC was founded in 2003 with a home ground at Symington's recreation ground.

Cricket: Market Harborough Cricket Club has two cricket teams; Market Harborough CC and Harborough South CC. The former plays in the Leicestershire Premier Cricket League.

Rugby: Market Harborough Rugby Club is near the leisure centre and until recently known as Kibworth Rugby Union Club.

Leisure: A leisure centre has a swimming pool, gym, sauna, steam room and cafe and is open to members and non-members. There are two skateparks: one in Little Bowden and one in the grounds of the youth centre on Farndon Road. The town once had a cinema known as The Ritz, from 1939 till 1978. Now closed, there is a campaign to have it re-opened (www.harboroughcinema.com) and run as a cinema for the benefit of the community. The town has a nightclub called Enigma.

Transport

Market Harboroughmarker station is on the Midland Main Line and operated by East Midlands Trains. London St Pancras Internationalmarker is approximately 70 minutes south. Northbound trains operate to Leicestermarker (15 minutes), Nottinghammarker, Sheffieldmarker, Leedsmarker and Yorkmarker. Leicestermarker connections east and west. From November 2007 St Pancras has Eurostar services to the continent.

Media

HFM on 102.3FM was formed in November 1994 with the aim to provide a local FM station for Market Harborough and South Leicestershire, as it was felt the established local independent and BBC stations did not cater for the area. John Fitzpatrick (d.2002 age 47) had the idea for the station.

OFCOM awarded the station a full time licence on 15 July 2005 for 24 hours, 365 days a year operation. It is run largely by volunteers and a number of freelance presenters.

The station launched full time on Saturday 10 February 2007, with a live broadcast from The Square in Market Harborough's town centre. The station was switched on by Eva Winston-Hart, a local toddler then suffering from a rare form of leaukemia. The first official voice on the station was that of Chris Jones, Programme Controller, and the first record played was "Are You Ready For Love" by Elton John.

HFM's programming is music-based but also focuses on community news and events. There is a daily Community Update as well as local news on the hour 8.00am - 5.00pm on weekdays, with updates at the weekends. Outside of these times, the station takes IRN (Independent Radio News)

Typical of HFMs community support and information is the Snowline established during the heavy snow during the first week of February 2009. Presenters gave out continual updates of school, college and business closures as well as details of road and rail conditions. All the local schools contributed and HFMs award-winning website received over 1,000 unique visits on both the 5th and 6th of the month.

The Harborough Mail is the local newspaper published on Thursday each week.

Freecycle Market Harborough

Market Harborough have their own Freecycle group and are currently looking for new members go to Freecycle Market Harborough to find out more.

References

  1. Bowden to Harborough J.C.Davies 1964
  2. "Town Affairs - the making of modern Market Harborough" J C Davies 1974


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message