The Full Wiki

More info on Markneukirchen

Markneukirchen: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Markneukirchen is a town in the Vogtlandkreismarker district, in the Free State of Saxonymarker, Germanymarker. It lies in between the Erzgebirgemarker and the Fichtelgebirgemarker in the Elstergebirge, 24 km southeast of Plauenmarker, and 14 km northeast of Aschmarker.

Markneukirchen is the main town of the German musical instrument making region that it is known for high quality brass and string instruments. It is the home to the Museum of Musical Instruments founded in 1883 by Paul Otto Apian-Bennewitz. It hosts an annual International Instrumental Competition and master classes. [319029] Since 1993 the competition has been a member of the World Federation of International Music Competitions.

History

Nothaft: In the 13th century, the new village was established and took the name of the local Egerland nobility: Albertus Nothaft de Wildsteinmarker, who was occupying the area and moving in families from Bayern and Oberpfälz. In a deed from a century later , 1378, it was referred to as Nuwenkrichen dictum Nothaft.

Around 1274 the name was first recorded as Neukirchen (new church). The new church building was mentioned in a deed from Klosters Waldsassenmarker, as Chunradus de Newenkirchen.

In 1357 (Nuenkirchin) and 1360 (stat) gained a market with the same rights as the neighbouring towns of Adorfmarker und Oelsnitz. The market was founded by Vögte von Plauen (either Heinrich der Ältere or Heinrich der Lange), who used it to establish a higher place in the pecking order, in their struggle with the Wettiner dynasty.

The present spelling Markneukirchen, that is Mark without a t, was fixed in 1858 by royal decree from Dresdenmarker, so it would not be confused with other Neukirchens.

Local government reorganisation

Unterer Markt
On 1. January 1994 Wohlhausen and on 1. März 1994 Breitenfeld were subsumed into Markneukirchen, and Landwust joined in 1999.

Population

Population Figures (as of 31. December 1960):
  • 1796: (251 Houses) 1
  • 1801: 1151 (261 Houses) 1
  • 1815: 1602 1
  • 1830: 1561 1
  • 1834: 2330
  • 1871: 4157
  • 1890: 6652
  • 1910: 8959
  • 1925: 8821
  • 1939: 8303
  • 1946: 8903
  • 1960: 8776
  • 1964: 8576
  • 1971: 8264
  • 2003: 7196
  • 2004: 7128


1: Albert Schiffner: Handbuch der Geographie, Statistik und Topographie des Königreiches Sachsen. Band 1. Leipzig 1839.

Coat of Arms

The arms share with Plauenmarker und Adorfmarker the motif of the Plauen Vögte, that is a left facing lion with doubled tail and aggressive tongue.

Partner Towns

Museums

Musikinstrumenten-Museum, Statue
  • The Musikinstrumenten-Museum Markneukirchen was founded in 1883 by Paul Otto Apian-Bennewitz a teacher and organist. At that time the manufacture of Orchestral instruments was expanding due to increased trade with many European countries and with the USA. He envisaged a teaching collection of European and ethnic instruments. There are now over 3100 items from Europa, Asia, Africa, America und Australia in the collection. The core collection consists of instruments from the immediate area that document the development of instruments from the 17th century to the present day. In the last 60 years, 3 million people have visited the museum in the Paulus-Schlösschen, a late baroque town house.


Traffic

Markneukirchen's first station was on the Chemnitz-Aue-Adorf Line near Siebenbrunn. In 1909 the Stichbahn from Siebenbrunn to Erlbach opened with a station near the Post and in the town centre. This closed in 1975 and Siebenbrunn on the Vogtlandbahn became the nearest station again.

Education

  • The Villa Merz offers a Studiengang Musikinstrumentenbau Markneukirchen validated through the Westsächsischen Hochschule Zwickau (FH) (Fachbereich Angewandte Kunst Schneeberg.
  • The Gymnasium Markneukirchen has a strong musical tradition.
  • The Musikschule Reinhold Glier offers music course to all- and provides training that leads to membership of the towns numerous ensembles, orchestra and choirs such as the Symphonie, Blasorchester der Stadt, the Handwerkerorchester Migma, the Jugendblas- and Symphonieorchester.

Personalities

  • Hermann Bauer (1892-1976), painter and graphic artist, bookplate designer
  • Erhard Fietz, musician, composer, teacher
  • Friedrich Glier (1891–1953), teacher, organist, composer and collector of folk melodies, honoured with a street name.
  • Martin Jordan (1897-1945), NSDAP, Reichstag member
  • Christian Friedrich Martin (1793-1873), American guitar maker, born and trained in Markneukirchen
  • Oscar Schuster (1873–1917), doctor, author of fiction, mountaineer
  • Hans Schuster, sculptor
  • Rudolf Schuster (1848-1902), landscape painter
  • Jakob Weller (1602–1664), Senior cleric at the court of the Duke of Saxony in Dresden.
  • Erich Wild (1895–1964), local historian, honoured with a street name
  • Roland Zimmer, musician


Literature

  • Crasselt, Friedrich August: Versuch einer Chronik von Markneukirchen im K. Sächs. Voigtlande. Entworfen von Friedrich August Crasselt, d.Z. Diaconus daselbst, Schneeberg 1821.
  • Eichler, Heidrun/Stadtlander, Gert (Red.): Musikinstrumenten-Museum Markneukirchen. Hg. von der Sächsischen Landesstelle für Museumswesen, Berlin/München 2000 (Sächsische Museen, Bd. 9). (ISBN 3-422-03077-8)
  • Hellriegel, Franz Wilhelm Rudolf: Chronik von Markneukirchen, Zwickau 1913.
  • Erich Wild: Geschichte von Markneukirchen. Stadt und Kirchspiel, Plauen 1925 (Beilageheft zur 34. Jahresschrift 1925 des Vereins für vogtländische Geschichte und Altertumskunde).


External links

  • http://www.markneukirchen.de/
  • http://www.museum-markneukirchen.de/english/Museum_english.htm



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message