The Full Wiki

More info on Mattawamkeag, Maine

Mattawamkeag, Maine: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Mattawamkeag is a town in Penobscot Countymarker, Mainemarker, United Statesmarker located where the Mattawamkeag River joins the Penobscot River. The population was 825 at the 2000 census.

Railroad History

Railroad Street in c.
1910
Mattawamkeag's history is inextricably linked to the railroad.

The European & North American Railway built up the Penobscot River valley from Bangor and reached Mattawamkeag in 1869. By October 1871 the line was completed from Mattawamkeag to Vanceboromarker where it connected through to Saint Johnmarker, New Brunswickmarker, Canadamarker. The Maine Central Railroad leased the Bangor-Vanceboro E&NA in 1882 and purchased it in 1955.

In 1889 the International Railway of Maine was completed between Meganticmarker, Quebecmarker, Canadamarker to Mattawamkeag, where it interchanged with the Maine Central. The parent company of the International Railway, Canadian Pacific, obtained running rights from Maine Central for Mattawamkeag to Vanceboro where it regained CPR trackage in New Brunswick. This placed Mattawamkeag on the transcontinental mainline of the Canadian Pacific, running from Saint John to Vancouvermarker, British Columbiamarker, Canadamarker. In 1974, CPR purchased the Mattawamkeag-Vanceboro railway tracks from Maine Central. In 1988, CPR transferred trackage east of Megantic to its subsidiary Canadian Atlantic Railway. In 1994, Canadian Atlantic was sold, with the line running through Mattawamkeag being purchased by J.D. Irving and is now operated as Eastern Maine Railway.

Maine Central was purchased by Guilford Transportation Industries in 1981 and became part of Guilford Rail System. Mattawamkeag is the eastern terminus of GRS, running west to Upstate New York through the states of Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Historic Building

The George W. Smith Homestead (1874) in Mattawamkeag is listed on the National Register of Historic Places [17842]

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 37.8 square miles (97.9 km²), of which, 37.4 square miles (96.9 km²) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km²) of it (0.98%) is water.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 825 people, 338 households, and 234 families residing in the town. The population density was 22.0 people per square mile (8.5/km²). There were 393 housing units at an average density of 10.5/sq mi (4.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.06% White, 0.36% Native American, and 1.58% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.12% of the population.

There were 338 households out of which 31.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.0% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.5% were non-families. 26.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.96.

In the town the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 24.6% from 45 to 64, and 17.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 95.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.3 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $23,403, and the median income for a family was $32,000. Males had a median income of $27,857 versus $19,063 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,573. About 7.8% of families and 12.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.3% of those under age 18 and 12.0% of those age 65 or over.

References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message