The Full Wiki

More info on Mauckport, Indiana

Mauckport, Indiana: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Mauckport is a town in Heth Townshipmarker, Harrison Countymarker, Indianamarker, along the Ohio River. The population was 83 at the 2000 census.

History

In the earliest times Daniel Boone and his brothers, most notably Squire Boone, were regularly in the area of Mauckport. Squire Boone settled in the area in 1806. Squire Boone's remains are just north of Mauckport in the Squire Boone Caverns.

The Mauckport area's earliest permanent settlers came from the Shenandoah Valleymarker and Lancaster County, Pennsylvaniamarker. The town was named after the Maucks, a German immigrant family who first settled in that area. The town itself is built upon land granted to John Peter Mauck in an 1811 land grant. It was his son, Fredrick Mauck, who filed the original plat for the town on May 7, 1827, the town was called Mauck's Port. The original town had three streets running north to south and 4 streets running east to west. The original town was divided into 107 lots.

The first road from the state capital to the Ohio River, the region's central means of transportation, was built 1809 connecting the river at Mauckport with Corydon, Indianamarker.

It was John Peter Mauck who started the state's first ferry, a raft and tow line crossing to from Mauckport to Brandenburg, Kentuckymarker on the opposite side of the river. It was operating at least as early as 1808. In the early days of the state it was considered the best means of entering the region by immigrants. In the earliest days packetboats hauled timber and farm products from the port to other stops along the river. Very early after the development of the steam ship the town had a wharf and was a frequent stop for steam ships and river barges. This was due to it being the closest river port to the original state capital of Corydon, Indianamarker.

In 1847 the citizens of the town filed a petition to change the name of Mauckport to New Market. The petition was granted and it remained New Market until 1850 when it was changed back to Mauckport because of another New Market post office in Indiana. The town was first incorporated in 1853.

Mauckport was the site of a small skirmish in July 1863 during "Morgan's Raid" in the American Civil War. Mauckport was where Morgan and his men, aided by the citizens of neighboring Brandenburg, Kentuckymarker, crossed the Ohio River to start his raid in earnest. When he first attempted to cross he was confronted by a small group of men from the Harrison County Legion firing artillery from the shore and armed men aboard the river boat Lady Pike. When Morgan returned fire with his own artillery the home guard quickly retreated back toward Corydon leaving Mauckport undefended. Upon landing his army on the east side of Mauckport Morgan burnt the steam boat Alice Dean. The citizen of Mauckport, having plenty of forewarning, abandoned the town and fled to the west until Morgan's army passed.

In 1900 the Ohio River froze solid during the winter destroying the town's ships. In 1905 the river froze solid again, this time destroying the town's wharf. This began the decline of the town, who's importance had been declining since the civil war.

The first car in Mauckport was in 1913, a "Maxwell" car owned by Daniel Baker Beanblossom.

In the Ohio River flood of 1937, Mauckport was decimated. The largest part of the town was destroyed leading to the majority of the population abandoning it. The Mauckport High School was discontinued in 1950 and in 1957, it's use as an elementary school was also discontinued. The building was razed in 1958. Other factors contributing the decline of the towns population include the rise of the railroad which led to less dependence on river for transportation of goods and people.

According to the US Decennial Census, the population of Mauckport peaked in 1900 with a population of 290. It then decreased significantly to 209 by 1930, and then rapidly declined following the 1937 flood to 154 in the 1940 census.

Today Mauckport is the site of the Matthew E.marker Welsh Bridgemarker built in 1966, the only bridge crossing the Ohio River between New Albany, Indianamarker and Tell City, Indianamarker. Frederick Mauck is buried in an unmarked grave near the same bridge.

The oldest house in Mauckport now is owned by Mrs. Myrtle Fisher. It was built in 1850 by James H. Miller and is located on Back Street

The town still celebrates "Mauckport Days" every spring with a parade, and weekend of activities, bazaar style booths, and competitions. It is attended by most of the townships residents and many from neighboring Washington and Posey Townships.

Geography

Mauckport is located at (38.023486, -86.202038) .

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.4 km²), of which, 0.1 square miles (0.4 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (13.33%) is water.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 83 people, 40 households, and 22 families residing in the town. The population density was 610.8 people per square mile (228.9/km²). There were 44 housing units at an average density of 323.8/sq mi (121.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.39% White, 2.41% from other races, and 1.20% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.41% of the population.

There were 40 households out of which 15.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.0% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.0% were non-families. 32.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08 and the average family size was 2.59.

In the town the population was spread out with 16.9% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 42.2% from 45 to 64, and 6.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 102.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 115.6 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $36,964, and the median income for a family was $36,250. Males had a median income of $25,000 versus $20,313 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,946. There were 20.0% of families and 18.0% of the population living below the poverty line, including 12.5% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.

Notable residents



See also



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message