The Full Wiki

More info on McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania

McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

McKees Rocks, also known as "The Rocks", is a borough in Allegheny Countymarker, Pennsylvaniamarker, along the south bank of the Ohio River, adjoining Pittsburghmarker. In the past, it was known for its extensive iron and steel interests. Also, there were large railroad machine shops, and manufacturers of locomotives, freight and passenger car, and springs, enamel ware, lumber, wall materials, plaster, nuts and bolts, malleable castings, chains and forgings, tin ware, concrete, and cigars.

The Pittsburgh, Allegheny and McKees Rocks Railroad is located in an area known as the 'Bottoms.'

The name of the borough is often incorrectly stated as "Mc Kees Rocks," "McKee's Rocks," or "McKees Rock," but the official name is "McKees Rocks." It is within the Sto-Rox School District, which serves McKees Rocks and neighboring Stowe Townshipmarker. The local high school is Sto-Rox High Schoolmarker.

The McKees Rocks Bridgemarker, which carries traffic between McKees Rocks and Pittsburgh, is the longest bridge in Allegheny County, Pennsylvaniamarker, at .

The area is well-served by Port Authority bus routes 21A, 21B, 21C, 21D, 21F, CO, and 24A.


For thousands of years, Native Americans inhabited the region. The Adena culture built a large Mound at the future site of McKees Rocks. The Mound, a burial site, was augmented in later years by members of the Hopewell culture. Much later, it was considered by George Washington as a possible location for Fort Pitt, which was eventually built on the site of the destroyed French Fort Duquesnemarker in what is now Pittsburgh's Point State Parkmarker.

The borough derives its name from Alexander McKee, to whom a 1,300 acre (5.3 km²) tract of land was given in 1764, and from a rocky projection into the river at this site. In 1769, McKees Rocks officially got its name on a deed, and that year is considered to be its founding date. In 1892, it was incorporated as a borough. In 1900, 6,353 people resided in the borough; in 1910, 14,702; in 1920, 16,713, and in 1940, 17,021 people inhabited McKees Rocks. The population was 6,622 at the 2000 census.

The Mann's Hotel, which was possibly one of the oldest buildings in the Pittsburgh area, was located at 23 Singer Avenue in McKees Rocks. It was built around 1803, although other sources put the construction in the 1700s. It is rumored that George Washington stayed there when he was surveying the Indian Mound. On October 12, 2009, The Mann's Hotel was demolished by the authorities in McKees Rocks due to its deteriorating condition.


McKees Rocks is located at (40.470218, -80.063674) .

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.9 km²), of which, 1.0 square miles (2.7 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (6.31%) is water. McKees Rocks is made up of several neighborhoods, such as West Park, Meyers Ridge, and "The Bottoms."


As of the census of 2000, there were 6,622 people, 2,905 households, and 1,652 families residing in the borough. The population density was 6,377.5 people per square mile (2,458.4/km²). There were 3,402 housing units at an average density of 3,276.4/sq mi (1,263.0/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 82.71% White, 14.06% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.68% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.41% from other races, and 1.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.09% of the population.

Households: There were 2,905 households out of which 26.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 29.4% were married couples living together, 21.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 43.1% were non-families. 37.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.2% had someone living alone who was 65 or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.96.

Age Distribution: The population included 24.1% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 20.9% from 45 to 64, and 19.0% who were 65 or older. The median age was 38. For every 100 females, there were 89.1 males; for every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.2 males.

Income: The median income for a household in the borough was $22,278, and the median income for a family was $29,063. Males had a median income of $25,872 versus $23,402 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $13,858. About 20.5% of families and 25.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 38.8% of those under age 18 and 17.0% of those age 65 or over.

Points of interest

The multi-million-dollar, Father Ryan Cultural Arts Center opened in 2008, at 420 Chartiers Avenue, adjacent to the F.O.R. Sto-Rox Library (at 500 Chartiers Avenue). It offers many creative and performing arts courses to the public.

The "Bottoms" neighborhood is the site of the McKees Rocks Indian Mound, a designated historic landmark, where the oldest human bones in eastern North America have been discovered.

McKees Rocks is located 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburghmarker.

McKees Rocks is also known for its fine food.

Surrounding and adjacent neighborhoods

Brighton Heightsmarker (Pittsburghmarker via McKees Rocks Bridgemarker), Esplenmarker (Pittsburghmarker), Kennedy Townshipmarker, Stowe Townshipmarker, Windgap (Pittsburghmarker)

Notable residents

In popular culture

McKees Rocks is the fictionalized setting of the novels Duffy's Rocks, Riot, and more than a dozen by the crime writer K.C. Constantine.

See also


File:McKeesRocksBridgePA.jpg|The McKees Rocks Bridgemarker from Island Avenue in McKees Rocks, PA.File:McKeesRocksBridge.jpg|Another view of the McKees Rocks Bridgemarker.File:MancinisBakery.jpg|Mancini's Bakery (since 1926) in McKees Rocks, PA.File:MckeesRocksMoundSignPA.jpg|McKees Rocks Mound historical marker.File:TheRocksofMckeesRocksPA.jpg|"The Rocks" of McKees Rocks, PA.


  1. Part I
  4. Torsten Ove, " Historic Mann's Hotel will become history", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Saturday, August 08, 2009.
  5. Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, " Historic Mann's Hotel Demolished", PHLF News, Monday, October 12, 2009.

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address