The Full Wiki

More info on Metropolitan Borough of Paddington

Metropolitan Borough of Paddington: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Metropolitan Borough of Paddington was a Metropolitan borough of the County of London between 1900 and 1965.

History

Its area covered that part of the current City of Westminster west of Edgware Roadmarker and Maida Valemarker, and north of Bayswater Roadmarker. Places in the borough included Paddingtonmarker, Westbourne Greenmarker, Bayswatermarker, Maida Hillmarker, West Kilburn, Maida Valemarker. To the south it bordered the Metropolitan Borough of Westminstermarker, to the east, the Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebonemarker.

The borough was abolished on 1 April 1965 by the London Government Act 1963 and its former area merged with that of the Metropolitan Borough of Westminstermarker and the Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebonemarker to form the present-day City of Westminstermarker.

Borough council

Coat of arms

The borough council's coat of arms, granted by the College of Armsmarker on 5 April 1902, was based on the former Paddington vestry seal. The seal featured crossed swords from the arms of the See of Londonmarker passing through a mural crown, symbol of local government. To these were added the wolves' heads and blue background from the arms of the first Mayor of the Borough, Sir John Aird. Sir John, who was member of parliament for Paddington North, also donated the mayoral badge and chain.

The arms were blazoned as follows:
Azure, two Swords in Saltire proper pommels and hilts Or enfiled with a Mural Crown of the last.
Two Wolves heads erased in Chief Argent.


Town Hall

Paddington Town Hall, designed by James Lockyer in the Classical style, dated from 1853. The building, originally the Vestry Hall, was situated on Paddington Green. It was enlarged in 1900 and 1920. Following its closure in 1965, it was demolished to make way for the Westway urban motorwaymarker. The chair used by the Mayors of Paddington at council meetings was preserved, and is currently placed in the hallway at the Council House in Marylebone Road, the current meeting place for Westminster City Council. The war memorial, unveiled in 1924, was moved to the adjacent parish church of St. Mary.

Area and population

The area of Paddington Metropolitan Borough was , once part of Kensal New Town was added after 1901. The population recorded in the Census was:

Civil Parish 1801-1899
Year 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Population 1,881 4,609 6,476 14,540 25,173 46,305 75,784 96,813 107,058 117,846
Metropolitan Borough 1900-1961
Year 1901 1911 1921 1931 1941 1951 1961
Population 143,976 142,551 144,261 144,923 125,463 116,923
Note that the population statistics up to 1891 exclude the area of Kensal Town transferred from Chelseamarker in 1900.


Notable places



References


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message