Middlesex Hospital was a hospital in the Fitzrovia area of London, England.
Middlesex Hospital opened in 1745 as the Middlesex Infirmary in
Windmill Street, London W1, named after the county of Middlesex.
The Infirmary started with 18 beds to
provide medical treatment for the poor. Funding came from
subscriptions and in 1747, the hospital became the first in England
to add 'lying-in' (maternity) beds.
The foundation stone for the second Middlesex Hospital, located on
Mortimer Street, was laid in 1755 by the then President of the
Hospital, the Earl of
and was opened in 1757 as The Middlesex
Hospital. The Hospital was Incorporated by Act of Parliament
in 1836, allowing it
various benefits as a charity.
Over the years, extra wings were added but in 1924, it was decided
that the building was about to collapse and something had to be
done. The Duke of York, later King George
, visited the Hospital to lay the foundation stone of the new
building, on 26 June 1928. He returned to the Hospital on 29 May
1935 to open the new building. The Hospital had been completely
rebuilt, on the same site and in stages, without being closed at
any stage, paid for by more than £1 million of donations from
members of the public.
Whilst part of the Bloomsbury Health Authority in the nineteen
eighties, the Middlesex Hospital was also associated with:St.
Peter's Hospital, Soho (urology); St. Paul's Hospital, Red Lion
Square (skin and genito-urinary diseases); Soho Hospital for Women
(gynaecological disease); Horton and Banstead hospitals
(psychiatric disorders); Athlone House (geriatric care); St. Luke's
(Woodside) Hospital (psychiatric disorders).
the St. Peter's Hospitals were closed down and moved into new
accommodation in the Middlesex Hospital, which itself was merged
College London (UCL) Hospital in 1994.
The Middlesex closed
in December 2005. The main Hospital building in Mortimer Street
was sold to developer Project Abbey (Guernsey) Ltd for £180m which
was considerably more than the anticipated sale price due to the
property boom ; in order to finance the UCL Hospital PFI scheme on Euston Road, and was demolished in the spring of 2008.
Some of the peripheral buildings remain, and have been renovated
for other uses by UCL or the NHS.
The building was used just before it was demolished in the film
. Its name
in this film was changed to "Trafalgar Hospital" using an
inscription matching the style and apparent age of the old legend
above the main door.
The planned redevelopment of the Mortimer Street site is now in
limbo after the withdrawal of the consortium led by the Candy
brothers. The site is now in the hands of the nationalised
Icelandic bank Kaupthing
Candy had planned to redevelop the site into a 273-apartment
luxury accommodation complex, named "NoHo Square.
In the latest installment in a long running saga, control for the
development of the site appears to have been handed to Stanhope
PLC, in a sale valued at a third of the price paid for the site by
Kaupthing Bank. It appears that the plans for the Noho Square
development have been shelved, but quite what will be built in its
place remains to be seen.
It should be noted that although the county name "Middlesex" is
common to all, there was no working connection between the
Middlesex Hospital and the North Middlesex, Central Middlesex and
West Middlesex hospitals.
Only the chapel (and one frontage)
remain after the demolition