The Full Wiki

More info on Minnesota State Highway 149

Minnesota State Highway 149: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Minnesota State Highway 149 is a highway in Minnesotamarker, which runs from its intersection with State Highway 3 in Inver Grove Heightsmarker and continues north to its northern terminus at its intersection with State Highway 5 (W. 7th Street) in Saint Paulmarker. The route is in length.

Outside of the Saint Paul city limits, Highway 149 is known as Dodd Road. 149 is known as Smith Avenue within Saint Paul and passes over the Smith Avenue High Bridgemarker crossing the Mississippi River.

Route description

State Highway 149 serves as a north-south route between the communities of Eagan, Mendota Heights, West St. Paul, and the "West Side" neighborhood of Saint Paul. The northern terminus of the route is at W. 7th Street / Fort Road near downtown Saint Paul.

The route is located in Dakota Countymarker and Ramsey Countymarker.

History

State Highway 149 was authorized in 1920 and was originally numbered 65 as part of U.S. Route 65.

The route was paved (as 65) by 1929.

By 1934, this route was renumbered State Highway 88 when U.S. 65 was rerouted on a different alignment.

The route was renumbered again in 1950 as an extension of then State Highway 49.

By 1981, the route was renumbered 149 when a portion of State Highway 49 through downtown Saint Paul was turned back to local maintenance.

The Smith Avenue High Bridgemarker over the Mississippi River was originally a steel truss bridge built around 1895 and rebuilt as a concrete arch in 1990.

Historic Dodd Road

Before it was a numbered highway in the 1920s, Dodd Road was a historic route in Minnesota. It was originally built in 1853 by Minnesota pioneer William B. Dodd and his crew. The road was built as a connection between the city of Mendotamarker and the city of St. Petermarker (in south central Minnesota) to help the development of St. Peter during its frontier days. Dodd Road was financed using private funds at a time when most roads were financed by the government to aid settlers. Present day Highway 149 bears little resemblance to the frontier road.

References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message