The Full Wiki

Mosby Tavern: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Mosby Tavern, also called Old Cumberland Courthouse or Littleberry Mosby House, is a National Register of Historic Places building in Powhatan County, Virginia. Located southeast of the intersection of U.S. Route 60 and State Route 629 in Powhatan County, Virginia, with a street address of 2625 Old Tavern Road, it began as a small one-room house built by Benjamin Mosby in 1740, and remains a private residence today.

Mosby Tavern was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 2003, and a monument was dedicated at the site on June 15, 2008.

History

Originally located in Goochland Countymarker, Mosby Tavern was in the western part of the county which became Cumberland Countymarker in 1749. From the county formation until the formation of Powhatan Countymarker in 1777, Mosby Tavern served as the Cumberland County courthouse and jail, as well as being a tavern and the private residence of the Mosby family. This, plus a popular racetrack across the road, made Mosby Tavern the center of the community. During the American Revolution the tavern also served as a rendezvous for the county militia.

The tavern was also used as the Powhatan County courthouse and jail until 1779, when the county seat was moved to Scottvillemarker.

Architecture

Mosby Tavern began as a small one-room house built by Benjamin Mosby in 1740. By the early nineteenth century it was a one-story, hall-parlor plan frame dwelling shown on early nineteenth century insurance policies as 34' by 28'. According to tax records, the property value increased substantially in 1849 and 1859, and it is likely that most of the major additions were made during that time, expanding the house to a center hall-plan, two-story frame building with single-story wings. A two-story rear addition was constructed around 1950, and a rear porch was added in 1988, bringing the house to its present form.

Notes

  1. NRHP listing.
  2. NRHP listing. "Benjamin “agreed to build a courthouse, prison, pillory, and stocks…at his own expense for the use of this county…and provide…convenience for holding courts at this place.”"
  3. NRHP listing. "The tavern hosted nearly thirty years of court meetings for the Cumberland and later Powhatan courts...Cumberland court proceedings met at the Mosby residence until 1777 when it fell within the bounds of the new Powhatan County."
  4. Ramage, p 13
  5. NRHP listing. "Mosby Tavern is significant under Criterion A for it served Cumberland and later Powhatan Counties as a courthouse and prison while it was also an ordinary and private residence."
  6. NRHP listing. "The Powhatan court convened at Mosby Tavern for two years before it moved to a courthouse in Scottsville."
  7. NRHP listing. "It has evolved from a small single-pile, one-room house built about 1740."
  8. NRHP listing. "Originally a one-story, single-pile, hall-parlor plan frame dwelling shown on early nineteenth century insurance policies as 34' by 28', Mosby Tavern is now a center hall-plan, two-story frame dwelling with nineteenth-century one-story wings."
  9. NRHP listing. "The Hatcher family added the two-story rear addition around 1950 and the present owners extended the east side of the addition and added the rear porch shortly after they purchased the property in 1988."


References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message