The Full Wiki

More info on Municipal Borough of Romford

Municipal Borough of Romford: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Romford was a local government district in south west Essex from 1894 to 1965.Vision of Britain - Romford UD/MB ( historic map) It was significantly expanded in 1934 and gained the status of municipal borough in 1937. The population density of the district consistently increased during its existenceVision of Britain - Romford population ( area and density) and its former area now corresponds to the northern part of the London Borough of Havering in Greater Londonmarker.

Background and formation

Romford had formed a chapelry in the historic Liberty of Havering, becoming a civil parish in its own right in 1849. In 1851 a local board of health was set up for the parish; although its area was reduced in 1855 to cover only the town. The local board convened at St Edward's Hall in Laurie Square from 1851 to 1853 and used the old liberty court house from 1853 to 1869. From 1869 it was based in offices in the marketplace and finally purchased the old court house in 1892. In 1894 the local board's area became Romford urban district as part of the Local Government Act 1894. This caused the parish to be divided into Romford Urban and Romford Rural, with the outer part becoming a component of Romford Rural Districtmarker.

District and borough

1.
Romford in 1911; 2.
Havering-atte-Bower; 3.
Noak Hill (absorbed in 1934)
From 1894 to 1900 the urban district consisted of the civil parish of Romford Urban. In 1900 the two Romford parishes were recombined and the urban district was expanded to cover the reconstituted parish of Romford from 1900 to 1934. The urban district was surrounded by Romford Rural District until 1934 when the rural district was abolished and the urban district gained the parishes of Noak Hillmarker and Havering-atte-Bowermarker.Vision of Britain - Romford RD ( historic map) The urban district council continued to meet at the old court house until in was demolished in 1933. The Romford urban district was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1937 and the council moved to a new town hall on Main Road (formerly Hare Street).

Abolition

The Royal Commission on Local Government in Greater London considered the borough for inclusion in Greater London and in 1965 the municipal borough was abolished by the London Government Act 1963. Its former area was transferred to Greater London from Essex and combined with that of Hornchurch Urban Districtmarker to form the present-day London Borough of Haveringmarker.

Population

Year 1901 1911 1921 1931 1941 1951 1961
Population 13,656 16,970 19,442 35,918 88,002 114,584


Gallery

Image:Havering town hall london entrance.jpg|Romford Town Hall entranceImage:Havering town hall london.jpg|Romford Town HallFile:Romford hornchurch boundary marker.JPG|Boundary marker at Roneo Corner

References

  1. The census was suspended for World War II



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message