The Full Wiki

More info on Newport Workshops

Newport Workshops: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The Newport Railway Workshops is a facility in the Melbournemarker suburb of Newportmarker, Victoriamarker, Australia, that builds, maintains and refurbishes railway rollingstock. It is located between the Williamstown and Werribee railway lines.


Plans for a workshop at Newport started in the 1860s, to replace the temporary Williamstown Workshops but nothing came of it. It was not until 1880 that work begun, when the Victorian Railways purchased annexes used at the 1880 Melbourne Exhibition and erected one of them at Newport, calling it the Newport Carriage Workshops when it began operation in 1882.

Construction of the permanent workshops commenced in 1884, and was completed in 1889. Although the earlier carriage workshop closed at this time, it reopened in 1895 to manufacture signal equipment. The first carriages built by the workshops were completed in 1889, but locomotives were manufactured by the Phoenix Foundry in Ballarat, the first locomotive being built in 1892. The main elements of the workshops are a central office block and clock tower, the 'East Block' for carriage and wagon works, and 'West Block' for heavy engineering and locomotive building. Expansion followed in 1905–1915, and 1925–1930. During World War II the workshops were turned over to military production, with the rear fuselage, and empennage of Bristol Beaufort bombers being built there.

At the peak of operation it was one of Victoria's largest and best-equipped engineering establishments, with up to 5,000 employees on site. The workshops had its own cricket ground, and in the 1920s the game of Trugo is said to have been invented by workers on their lunch hour. In the 1980s the original segments of the workshops were removed from everyday use, and modern workshops built along the eastern side of the site, which remains in use today.


Current revenue operations are carried out in the eastern section of the workshops by EDI Rail, who carry out work including locomotive and carriage maintenance, and diesel engine, bogie and wheelset overhauls; for customers including V/Line. The workshops is also provided with the only broad gauge underfloor wheel lathe in Victoria. A section of the workshops is also leased to Siemens for maintenance of their Siemens suburban trains.

The original 1880s workshops have been maintained for heritage uses. The 'West Block' area are occupied by a number of railway preservation groups such as Steamrail Victoria and R707 Operations, while the 'East Block' has been retained by the Department of Infrastructure for the storage of disused trams and other rail rollingstock. The ARHS Railway Museum is located south of the workshops, near North Williamstown railway station.


External links

Further reading

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address