Newquay railway station is
the terminus of the Atlantic Coast Line that runs
from Par railway
station. It is operated by First Great Western and is situated
close to the town centre and beaches in Newquay, Cornwall, United
The first railway at Newquay was a horse-worked line from the
harbour to Hendra Crazey. It was built by Joseph Treffry
in stages between 1846 and
line was extended on 1 June 1874 by the Cornwall Minerals Railway, goods
trains now reaching Fowey.
A branch line from Tolcarn Junction, just
outside Newquay, ran to Gravel Hill Mine near Treamble
where there was an iron mine.
Passenger trains were introduced on 20 June 1876. The Great Western Railway
operated all the
trains from 1 October 1877 and bought out the Cornwall Minerals
Railway on 1 July 1896.
The original station had just a single platform and a turntable
at the end of the platform
was used to release locomotives from incoming trains. The station
was rebuilt in 1905 with two platforms serving three tracks.
A new line was opened from
Shepherds, on the Treamble
branch, to Perranporth
on 2 January 1905, which allowed a new service to run from Newquay
to Truro. The following year through carriages started
to be run from London using the
direct line from Par.
The main departure platform was lengthened in 1928 and again in
1935; the second platform was lengthened in 1938. These
enlargements were to accommodate the longer trains that were now
bringing holidaymakers from London and elsewhere. Extensive
carriage sidings were laid on the south side of the station to
store these trains between services.
The station started to be run down following the closure of the
line to Truro on 4 February 1963. The goods yard was closed in
1965; the roof on platforms 2 and 3 was removed in 1964. Platform 3
was shortened in 1966 and its locomotive release line taken out of
use on 4 October 1972, by which time four of the carriage sidings
had been removed.
On 5 October 1987 the signal box was closed, all the remaining
signals were felled and the loop line that formed platform 1 was
lifted. At the same time all the carriage sidings were closed and
lifted. The former Chacewater platform (3) kept its rails a little
longer although these too were removed by the mid 1990s. The
station buildings on platform 1 were razed in 1992 to make way for
a new car park whilst the signal box structure was torched by
vandals and burnt to the ground in March 1997.
The rail network at the harbour
The original terminus of the Newquay Railway was at the harbour.
Horses hauled wagons along a line that wound between houses to
reach the top of a 1 in 4½ incline that carried the line down to
the harbour. Wagons were lowered on a cable
down the incline, which was in a tunnel
dug out of the cliff. At the foot the track ran onto the eastern
breakwater but a shunt-back and wooden trestle bridge gave access
to the a jetty in the middle of the harbour.
After steam locomotives were introduced by the Cornwall Minerals
Railway in 1874, wagons continued to be moved between Newquay
station and the harbour incline by horses. Traffic handled at the
harbour gradually declined and the line was taken out of use in
1926. Part of the route is now a footpath from opposite the station
to the cliff tops above the beach.
Between Newquay station and Tolcarn Junction the line crosses the
Trenance valley on a 154 yard (141m) viaduct. The first structure,
opened on 29 January 1849, was a timber structure on stone piers.
much lighter than the similarly-constructed Cornwall Railway viaducts that
were built a few years later, and very different from the imposing
Viaduct built by Treffry for his Par tramway.
The piers were raised and new wrought iron girders installed ready
for the opening of the line for locomotives in 1874. This was
replaced by the present masonry structure on 27 March 1939. It
carried two tracks from 20 March 1946; the line to Tolcarn Junction
was singled on 23 November 1964 but the second line was retained
for shunting purposes until the rationalisation in the 1980s.
the terminus of the branch line from Par.
Passenegrs arriving on a summer
Saturday train train from
It handles a number of intercity trains in
the summer as well as local services, which is very unusual for a
Saturdays local services are entirely replaced by First Great Western trains from London
Paddington and CrossCountry trains
from the Midlands and North of England, which do not stop at
intermediate stations between Par and Newquay.
there are some local trains and also a small number of intercity
services. As well as the weekend through trains, in peak summer
months there is also a Monday-Friday through First Great Western
intercity service to
and from London, but local trains continue on these days too. There
is no Sunday service in the winter.
The local trains between Par and Newquay are designated as a
service, supported by
marketing from the Devon and Cornwall Rail
. The route is promoted as the "Atlantic Coast Line
other Cornish branch lines are full Community Railways, but only
the local service to Newquay is designated in this way, because the
presence of intercity and clay trains make it impossible to
designate the line itself.
in Newquay take part in the Atlantic
Coast Line rail ale trail