Nikortsminda Cathedral ( )
is a Georgian Orthodox Church, located in Nikortsminda, Racha region
Nikortsminda was built in 1010-1014 during
the reign of Bagrat III of Georgia and
was repaired in 1634 by the King Bagrat III of Imereti.
Three-storied bell-tower next to the Cathedral was built in the
second half of the 19th century. Frescoes inside the Cathedral date
from the 17th century.
Stylistically, Nikortsminda reflects the Georgian cross-dome
style of architecture.
Nikortsminda has a massive dome and has unbroken arcatures as its
twelve windows, which are decorated with ornamented architraves.
The Cathedral has a form of five apses from inside and the massive
dome rest of the on the half-pillar shaped apse projections. The
transition to the dome circle is affected by means of pendentives.
Altar apse bema and the western passage make the space greater
inside. Interior is decorated with frescoes from the 17th century
and the rich ornaments, reflecting the mastery of the late-Medieval
Georgian ecclesiastic art.
From the outside the Cathedral shapes like a short-armed
rectangular cross and has a short segment to the west. The fecades
of the Cathedral is covered with smoothly hewn stone. Decorations
include unbroken arcatures and various rich ornaments including
multiple-figured story-telling reliefs and episodes ( The Transfiguration
The Judgment Day
The Ascension of the
, figures of saint, real or imaginary animals,
forming one premeditated program). Nikortsminda has one of the most
beautiful decorations from all Georgian churches and cathedrals
because several different styles can be seen among the them,
telling the richness of the selection of motifs and the manner of
cathedral.jpgImage:Nikortsminda2.jpg|The bell tower
- The inscription of the western entrance testifies the fact
- The Spiritual Treasure of Georgia. Khelovneba
Publishers, Tbilisi: 2005.
retrieved from Parliament.Ge