Ninian Park was a football stadium in Leckwith, Cardiff, Wales.
2009, it was the home ground of Cardiff City F.C., who compete in the
League Championship. Cardiff City now play at the Cardiff City
Ninian Park is named after Lt.-Col. Lord Ninian
(15 May 1883–2 October 1915), son of
Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute
(12 September 1847–9
The ground featured large floodlights in each corner and a
plasma-screen television showed highlights during the game.
television was bought by the club in 2002 from Bolton Wanderers, who had previously
used the screen in their former ground Burnden Park before moving to the Reebok Stadium, and was located between the Popular Bank and the
The last ever Cardiff City football match played at Ninian Park was
a 3-0 defeat to Ipswich Town
had Roy Keane
as their new manager in his
first match in charge, on 25 April 2009.
The last ever football match played at Ninian Park was a Welsh
Schools Cup Semi-Final fixture between Radnor Road Primary school
and Corneli Primary School, with Corneli Primary School edging the
game after penalties in front of the Grange End. This left Corneli
Primary School's manager, life-long Cardiff fan Alex Clarke, as the
last winning manager at Ninian Park .
The stadium featured four stands: the Spar
Family Stand (formerly known as the Canton End), the John Smith's
Grange End (formerly known
as the Grange End prior to being sponsored by John Smith's Brewery
), the Popular Bank
(commonly known as the "Bob Bank") and the Grandstand.
The Grandstand was a two-tier, all-seater stand, with old-fashioned
wooden seats in the upper tier, and modern plastic seating in the
lower tier. This stand also had several supporting poles holding up
the roof. This stand also housed the area in which the player
dressing rooms and tunnel were incorporated, as well as housing the
dugouts, the V.I.P. area and the press/media benches.
The Popular "Bob" Bank Seating & Terrace
The Popular Bank
The Popular Bank had a mixture of covered seating to the rear of
the stand, and uncovered standing terrace to the front. The seating
had many supportive poles keeping the roof up, and in keeping with
the tradition of many football teams, many seats were coloured
white and when viewed from above spelled the word
John Smiths Grange End
The John Smiths Grange End
The John Smiths
became the most vocal area of the ground (from the Bob bank up
until the 90's) and was a fully covered terrace, previously
uncovered for many years, before its renovation in 2001 after Sam
Hammam took over as chairman. It also had several supporting poles,
and one section housed the away fans. The away section had
terracing to the back and seating at the front. In between the home
and away fans was a gap separating opposing fans from home fans.
There was also netting in the middle just in case anybody wanted to
get to the other side or throw anything. This gap in between the
opposing fans came in in 2005 where before there was just a metal
fence separating home and away fans.
It was officially opened on 1 September 1928 before a league match
by the Lord Mayor of
Cardiff and could hold 18,000 spectators. The area behind the goal
where the stand was built was previously an earth embankment. In
the 1946/1947 saeson a spectator fell through the roof of the
Grange End during a game with Bristol City. This hole remained in
the Grange End roof until its demolition.The original stand was
demolished during the 1977/78 season as structural engineers deemed
it to be unsafe and it was replaced by the current stand.
Spar Family Stand
Spar Family Stand (Canton End)
Family Stand was a fully covered,
all-seated stand with several supporting poles along the width of
the stand. The club ticket office was also located within this
stand where an exterior entrance was provided. The rear of the
stand was also home to a number of executive boxes and hospitality
areas, although work began in the early 1980s they were not
completed until 2001 due to financial difficulties.
stadium and surrounding area was served by Ninian Park
railway station (on the Cardiff City
Line) on one side of Sloper Road and Grangetown
railway station (on the Vale
Line) on the other side. Trains operate frequently to Central and Queen Street stations.
Ninian Park railway station
In addition the stadium was also served by the A4232 dual
, which is approximately 0.7 miles (1.13 kilometres)
away from the Leckwith Interchange.
Since it was built the ground has been used for numerous other
- Capacity: 22,000
- There was an advert on the roof of the Spar Family Stand for
Redrow Homes, former shirt sponsor of the
club (2003-2006). There was also an advert on the roof of the Bob
Bank for Brace's Bread, a local bread-making firm. Prior to this an
advert for Captain Morgan Rum on the Bob Bank roof dominated the
ground for many years and it survived despite attempts to paint
over it in the early 1980's.
- There was previously a mechanical scoreboard similar to that
found in cricket or baseball.
- Record Attendance: 62,634; Wales-England, 17 October 1959
- The record attendance for a Cardiff City match is 57,893 v
Arsenal, April 22 1953.
- The 2005-2006 season's average attendance at the ground, over
23 home Cardiff City matches, was 11,720.
- Address: Sloper Road, Cardiff CF11 8SX
Demolition and the future of the site
The stadium was handed over to Redrow Homes
by Cardiff City chairman Peter Ridsdale on 10 September 2009.
Redrow will build 142 new homes on the site, but it will still be
known as Ninian Park. It is proposed at the centre of the new
housing development will be a planted square, in the area of Ninian
Park’s centre spot. It is also possible that street names of
Cardiff City legends are being considered, though this is yet to be
decided. The first show home of the £24m development will be opened
by late spring 2010. The housing will be a mixture of terraced,
detached and semi-detached houses.
The new stadium for Cardiff City
started on the new Cardiff City Stadium to replace Ninian Park at
the end of 2007 on the site of the Cardiff
Athletics Stadium, it was officially opened on 22 July 2009.
It holds 26,828 spectators, with foundations in place to increase
the capacity to 60,000, if needs be. On 6 August 2008 a
contract was signed for naming rights at the stadium after Cardiff
City recruited a leading specialist, who provided Arsenal with the Emirates Stadium sponsor to find their stadium a sponsor.
Although a fee hasn't been released it is reported to be in excess
of £3million over a 100 year period. It is currently called the
Cardiff City Stadium, although it is proposed that a sponsors name
will eventually go in front of this.