The Full Wiki

More info on No. 245 Squadron RAF

No. 245 Squadron RAF: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



No. 245 Squadron was a squadron of the Royal Air Force.

History

In World War I

245 Squadron was formed on 20 August 1918 from No. 426 and No. 427 Flight at Fishguardmarker. It flew Short 184 on anti-submarine patrols over the Southern Irish Seamarker. The squadron disbanded on 19 May 1919.

In World War II

As No. 245 (Northern Rhodesian) Squadron the squadron was reformed at RAF Leconfieldmarker on 30 October 1939 equipped with Bristol Blenheim fighters and from January 1940, Fairey Battle light bombers. Both of these types were replaced by Hurricanes in March 1940 an in May it moved to RAF Dremmarker in Scotland. However, during the Dunkirk evacuation it operated a detachment from RAF Hawkingemarker but in July it was transferred to RAF Aldergrovemarker in Northern Irelandmarker, where it remained throughout the Battle of Britain on defensive duties. In July 1941 it moved to RAF Ballyhalbertmarker and remained there until September 1941, when it returned to England and began offensive sweeps. In January 1943 it moved to Scotland again, where it began converting to Typhoons, taking these back down south in March. The squadron was then allocated to the 2nd Tactical Air Force on its formation in June 1943 and soon began attacking enemy lines of communication and other suitable targets in preparation for Operation Overlord. From April it began using rocket projectiles in on 27 June 1944, it moved onto the continent, from where it continued to support the Allied advance through France, the Low Countries and into Germany. The squadron disbanded at Schleswig in Germany on 10 August 1945.

Post-war

That same 10 AUgust 1945 at RAF Colernemarker, No. 504 Squadron RAF was re-numbered as No. 245 to form part of the RAF's first jet fighter equipped wing. It was equipped with Hawker Hunters when disbanded at RAF Stradishallmarker on 3 June 1957. On 21 August 1958 No. 527 Squadron RAF was renumbered at RAF Wattonmarker as No 245 squadron. It was now employed on radar calibration duties with Canberra B.2s, moving the RAF Tangmeremarker on 25 August 1958 and remained there until it was disbanded by being renumbered to No. 98 Squadron RAF on 18 April 1963.

References

Notes

Bibliography

  • Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth, 1981-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
  • Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
  • Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
  • Rawlings, John D.R. Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald and Jane's (Publishers) Ltd., 1978. ISBN 0-354-01028-X.
  • Robinson, Anthony. RAF Squadrons in the Battle of Britain. London: Arms and Armour Press Ltd., 1987 (republished 1999 by Brockhampton Press, ISBN 1-86019-907-0.).


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message