The Full Wiki

More info on No. 297 Squadron RAF

No. 297 Squadron RAF: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



297 Squadron is a squadrom of the Royal Air Force.

It is notable for being the first airborne forces squadron formed.

Squadron letters L5 & P5

The Squadron Badge is an eagle's leg grasping a sword

The squadron Motto [Par Nobile Fratrum]- "A Noble pair of Brothers"

History

Formed at RAF Ringwaymarker on 15 December 1941 and moved to Netheravon on 22 January 1942 designated as the parachute exercise squadron. In February 1942 they were equipped with Whitley V aircraft. The squadron moved to Hurn on 5 June 1942 then to Thruxton on the 24 October 1942. In July 1943 the squadron was equipped with the first of the Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle I which they kept until December 1944, however they were supplemented with the Albemarle II in February 1944, Albemarle V in April 1944 and Albemarle VI in July 1944. The squadron moved to RAF Stoney Crossmarker on 25 August 1943.location 50° 55′ 8″ N, 1° 39′ 36″ W, where they practised parachute drops with the 8th Battalion parachute regiment and 22 independent parachute regiment in preparation for the D-Day invasion.

297 Squadron moved to RAF Brize Nortonmarker on 14 March 1944 to practice towing Horsa Gliders in preparation for the deployment to capture the now famous Pegasus Bridgemarker and the Merville Batterymarker located on the Normandy coast overlooking sword beach.

On the 30 September 1944 the squadron moved to Earls Colne where the process of changing the Albemarles for the Halifax V was started, the squadron received additional Halifax III aircraft in February 1945 and Halifax A.7 in December 1945. The squadron was disbanded on 1 April 1946.

The Squadron was reformed in a peacetime role on 1 April 1946 at Tarrant Rushton and merged with 295 squadron keeping the 297 Squadron markings.

The squadron was equipped with the Halifax A7 aircraft and moved to Brize Norton on 5 September 1946. In January 1947 the squadron was re-equipped with Halifax A9 aircraft which they kept until October 1948, during this time they moved to RAF Fairfordmarker on 21 August 1947 and to RAF Dishforthmarker on 1 November 1948.

In November 1948 the Squadron was equipped with Hastings C1 aircraft until November 1950. During this time the squadron moved as a detachment to Schleswig returning to RAF Topcliffemarker on 22 August 1949 where they stayed until 15 November 1950 when the squadron was disbanded.

Aircraft flown



References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message