The Full Wiki

Norbury: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

for other places called Norbury see Norbury


Norbury is a town in the London Borough of Croydonmarker, on the border with the London Borough of Lambethmarker and the London Borough of Mertonmarker. It shares the postcode London SW16marker with nearby Streathammarker. Norbury is south of Charing Crossmarker.

History

It is thought the name derives from North Burgh, due to Norbury's position on the northern boundary of the former Manor of Croydonmarker.

Norbury, like Streatham and Croydon, lies on the London to Brighton Way Roman road, the northern part of which has become the A23 road. At Hepworth Road the intact road, 32 feet wide, was excavated in 1961. Remnants of a metalled ford across the stream were found further south at Hermitage Bridge on the River Graveney which forms part of the boundary between Norbury and Streatham, before flowing on to the River Wandlemarker, then the River Thames.

Norbury was a sub-manor of Croydon Manor and was held by the Carew family between 1385 and 1859. The Carews also held Beddingtonmarker. Norbury Farm was the manor house - it was demolished in 1914.

Norbury Hall, Craignish Avenue, does remain - now as a retirement home and a Grade II listed building. It was built for William Coles in 1802. In the late 19th century, its owner was James Hobbs, local businessman and fifth Mayor of Croydon who bought the house in 1884. A few years later, he was implicated in the Liberator Building Society scandal with Jabez Balfour, convicted and imprisoned. The Hobbs family owned the Hall until 1958 when it was sold to the County Borough of Croydon (from 1965 the London Borough of Croydon), with its gardens open to the public. By then most of the farms and open land belonging to Norbury Manor and Hall had been built upon. The London County Council built an estate of almost 500 homes in Norbury, one of its first 'Out-County' estates between 1906 and 1910.

Norbury railway stationmarker opened in 1878, although the railway line had opened in 1862. It was rebuilt in 1902 and connects Norbury with Croydon, London Bridge and London Victoriamarker. Although Croydon's horse-tram network never reached Norbury, electric trams were introduced in 1901, connecting the town all the way through to Purleymarker. However, Croydon trams and London trams used different systems and could not use the same tracks, leading through passengers to have to change in Norbury. This was finally rectified in 1925. The trams were removed after World War II but there are now plans to extend Tramlinkmarker from Croydon to Streatham via Norbury.

Nearest places



Notable residents



Nearest railway stations



In fiction

Norbury is portrayed in a Sherlock Holmes short story, "The Adventure of the Yellow Face", as one of the few places in which the detective turned out to be wrong regarding his theories.

References


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message