North Terrace to Glenelg railway line was a
railway in western Adelaide.
started in the city centre from the Adelaide Railway Station, and then headed west.
approximately where Henley Beach Road currently is, the railway then followed an almost direct route to the
seaside town of Glenelg.
Today, much of the corridor in which the line ran remains as a
for cyclists, which is known
as the West Side cycleway. Part of the north section of the
corridor has been built over as James Congdon Road. A railway platform
remains in the suburb of
Plympton from the original line.
The line was closed
in 1929, after which remnants remained for some time including
rails across Marion road in the 1950’s.
Adelaide station around 1889.
The line was constructed to compete with the existing Glenelg
railway line which ran from Victoria Square
satisfaction on the existing line was becoming low. In response a
group which had been attempting to improve conditions on the
existing service decided to establish a company and construct a new
railway in competition with the existing one.
The Holdfast Bay Railway Company
and the new line was opened on May 24, 1880. The line proved to be
popular due to the convenience of using the existing Adelaide Railway
Station, and trips taking only 20 minutes to Glenelg which
was 5 minutes shorter than the existing line.
There were two
trains that ran in the morning from Glenelg to Adelaide, and two
from Adelaide to Glenelg in the afternoon.
Two years after the line opened it was realised there was not
enough business to support both companies and on May 11, 1882
the two merged to form the Glenelg Railway Company
. Both lines continued to run and business assets such
as maintenance facilities were shared to reduce costs.
In 1924, William A. Webb, the railways commissioner proposed that
the two Glenelg railways be given to the Municipal Tramways Trust
and to be
converted from steam
. The government following Mr Webb's
recommendation acquired both Glenelg railways and electrification
of the South Terrace line which now in known as the Glenelg Tramline
began in 1929 and took nine
months to finish. On the day when the South Terrace line was
converted in December 1929, South Australian Railways
running trains from North Terrace. After the closure, the M.T.T
began the operation of bus services from the city to
The line was originally intended to become electrified with the
Glenelg line and small scale works on its conversion had begun,
including drilling holes for power
. However, work was halted and the future became uncertain
for years. Parts of the remaining corridor were sold to private
holders in 1938 and the rest to the South Australian Government in
1940. The Metropolitan Adelaide
Plan in the 1960s proposed an expressway
be constructed in the corridor.
- Transport SA: Bike Map
- Railpage Forms South Australia: Abandoned Plympton Railway
- State Library SA: Plympton Railway Station Rails
- West Torrens Library Service, History,
NESFIELD', 353 Marion Road, North Plympton
J.C. Radcliff. C.J.M. Steele, Adelaide Road Passenger Transport
1836 - 1958
, Libraries Board of South Australia, Adelaide,