The Full Wiki

More info on North Woolwich

North Woolwich: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

North Woolwich is a place in the London Borough of Newhammarker. It is located north of Woolwichmarker proper which is on the south bank of the River Thames. The two places are linked by the Woolwich Ferrymarker and the Woolwich foot tunnelmarker.


Historically North Woolwich consisted of two nearby tracts of land, totalling , situated on the north bank of the River Thames. The western detached part was surrounded on three sides by the parish of East Hammarker and the eastern portion bordered East Ham to the west and Barking Townmarker to the north.

The now disused North Woolwich railway stationmarker, which was closed in preparation for future transport developments which will use sections of the line, is situated adjacent to the ferry terminal. An extension of the Docklands Light Railway to the area opened in December 2005. Until 2009, this terminated at King George Vmarker; a further extension south of the river, to Woolwich Arsenalmarker, opened in 2009. This situation means that North Woolwich now sports two old station buildings. The closed North London Line station is adjacent to the an earlier station which closed in 1979; this has housed the Old Station Museummarker since 1984, which is devoted to the history of the Great Eastern and London and North Eastern railways.

Administratively, North Woolwich was part of Kentmarker at least since the Norman Conquest when one of William the Conqueror's lords, Hamon, was granted land on both sides of the Thames at this spot, probably to enable him to enjoy the taxes from cross-river traffic. It lay in the parish of Woolwichmarker and later the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwichmarker, but was absorbed into the London Borough of Newham in 1965 when Woolwich south of the Thames became part of the London Borough of Greenwichmarker. It is unique in Outer London in being part of the County of London before 1965. The population peaked just before the First World War, and reduced substantially in the Second World War when it was heavily bombed.

The area was formerly the site of industries including W T Henley's cable works (later AEI, then STC) on the river to the west of the ferry, and a large Harland & Wolffmarker ship repairing shop at Gallions Point to the south of the King George V Dockmarker entrance lock (not to be confused with their works at the western end of the dock).


  • 1871: 1,455
  • 1881: 1,504
  • 1891: 2,055
  • 1901: 3,086
  • 1911: 4,409
  • 1921: 3,970
  • 1931: 3,579

Nearby places

The nearest Docklands Light Railway station is King George Vmarker.


For details of education in North Woolwich see the List of schools in the London Borough of Newham


Image:North_woolwich_railway_museum 2.jpg|North Woolwich old railway museum frontage. (February 2007)Image:North_woolwich_railway_museum 1.jpg|North Woolwich old railway museum. The platform for the recently closed North London Line station is visible on the far right. (February 2007)


  1. 'West Ham: Introduction', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973) Date accessed: 27 July 2009

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address